CL Price increases

Cherokee2015 replied on 06/09/2021 20:24

Posted on 06/09/2021 20:24

Has anyone noticed any large increases in CL prices?   I haven’t noticed much this year so far, maybe a pound here or there however, just starting to plan for next summer and have come across a nice looking (but nothing special) CL that I thought looked ideal for us and ticked all the boxes with a price of £16 per night.  This price was advertised on both the new app and the website which I know can be out of date.   Imagine my surprise to our email enquiry of availability and price to hear that the cost was now £25 per night 😳.   It certainly made my eyes water!    I don’t believe any CL is worth that much, but what an increase!   Needless to say, we’ll be going elsewhere. 

obbernockle replied on 06/09/2021 20:51

Posted on 06/09/2021 20:51

I agree that is a whopper on the face of it, but have they invested a load of money for something like toilets/showers/made up roads for campervans, hard standings, and/or campervan grey waste dumping drain? We like simple CL's with no facilities other than the minimum, but they are increasingly difficult to find. We have heard several CL owners say they have been encouraged by the visiting club inspector to invest in extra facilities and charge more.

replied on 06/09/2021 20:59

Posted on 06/09/2021 20:24 by Cherokee2015

Has anyone noticed any large increases in CL prices?   I haven’t noticed much this year so far, maybe a pound here or there however, just starting to plan for next summer and have come across a nice looking (but nothing special) CL that I thought looked ideal for us and ticked all the boxes with a price of £16 per night.  This price was advertised on both the new app and the website which I know can be out of date.   Imagine my surprise to our email enquiry of availability and price to hear that the cost was now £25 per night 😳.   It certainly made my eyes water!    I don’t believe any CL is worth that much, but what an increase!   Needless to say, we’ll be going elsewhere. 

Posted on 06/09/2021 20:59

I personally believe that some are worth that price

Cherokee2015 replied on 06/09/2021 21:33

Posted on 06/09/2021 20:51 by obbernockle

I agree that is a whopper on the face of it, but have they invested a load of money for something like toilets/showers/made up roads for campervans, hard standings, and/or campervan grey waste dumping drain? We like simple CL's with no facilities other than the minimum, but they are increasingly difficult to find. We have heard several CL owners say they have been encouraged by the visiting club inspector to invest in extra facilities and charge more.

Posted on 06/09/2021 21:33

We’re the same - we don’t need all those extras but are aware that more and more vanners do.   These minimal sites are harder to find and I do believe that input from the CMC and increased demand from the recent staycationers has helped push prices up, however lots of these will return to foreign holidays at some points so may be less demand for the supply!

I don’t believe this site have added any additional facilities from the listing and the reviews are all great but its such a large increase and pricing us out.   Incidentally, there are another 5 sites in the area, charging between £15 and £20pn.   

nelliethehooker replied on 06/09/2021 21:50

Posted on 06/09/2021 21:50

They're taking the proverbial, Cherokee. Which one is it so that we all know which one to avoid?wink

How many times on here have we been told that the site inspectors have no influence on the price that a CL owner charges!! Wonder who to believe!😁

replied on 06/09/2021 22:48

Posted on 06/09/2021 22:48

I used a CL at Monarch lakes, near Boston in September 2019. The standard was high and well worth the money. Nice pub alongside the river a mile or two away. I see that InaD has stayed more recently. If they have kept up maintenance I would happily pay £25

KjellNN replied on 06/09/2021 23:07

Posted on 06/09/2021 23:07

This past year or two, with one exception, we  have been paying no more than £17 for a CL, and that was for a fully serviced hardstanding,  Where we are now is £17, but £20 over winter, and next year will be £18 and £21.

£20 is our max at present, would not pay more for facilities we do not need.

cyberyacht replied on 07/09/2021 09:12

Posted on 07/09/2021 09:12

I wonder if the aforesaid CL is preparing to go 'full commercial' or are they keeping pace with the rise in price of CAMC sites and just maintaining a differential of around a tenner?

eribaMotters replied on 07/09/2021 09:18

Posted on 07/09/2021 09:18

I can understand supply and demand, improvement in facilities etc, but what is beyond me is why the prices are not updated on the C&MC website. The CL should contact them with any change of details.

Colin

Cherokee2015 replied on 07/09/2021 09:32

Posted on 06/09/2021 21:50 by nelliethehooker

They're taking the proverbial, Cherokee. Which one is it so that we all know which one to avoid?wink

How many times on here have we been told that the site inspectors have no influence on the price that a CL owner charges!! Wonder who to believe!😁

Posted on 07/09/2021 09:32

Nellie, the owner has said that the books were printed two years ago, which is very true, however it's still a huge increase over two years - possibly trying to recoup losses due to COVID 

Anyway for info - it's Swn Y Mor in Gwynned - it's obviously personal choice regarding price, and it does look at nice site. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook