CL Closed for The Year

harryb replied on 26/06/2020 18:19

Posted on 26/06/2020 18:19

I have just had an email from a cl owner saying sorry but he has to cancel our booking for 7 nights on the 23rd Aug because he has decided not to reopen until next year. He was terribly sorry but had made the decision after studying the Covid 19 secure protocols sent to him by the CMHC on 23rd June.

He didn’t go into details but he was worried about the advice given after studying the implications and requirements should someone have to self-isolate on his site are very worrying.

For someone to be worried enough to make that decision begs the question,  what does this advice imply on club sites?

Have all people going away from the 4th onwards thought of this. I know I hadn’t

Wherenext replied on 26/06/2020 20:42

Posted on 26/06/2020 20:42

Be interesting to hear from a CL owner. Nicola at Skybarn did comment on another thread that she hadn't received anything but that was before the 23rd.June.

nelliethehooker replied on 26/06/2020 21:24

Posted on 26/06/2020 21:24

I'm concerned that this may be the attitude of a number of CL owners, thus reducing the number of sites that will be available for a booking throughout the rest of the year. The list of sites on the web site that appear to be open has now fallen to 2165, and I suspect that it will be a fair number less when we get the next update.

Harry, if you don't mind me asking which is the one that you've been in touch with, so that I can note it in my site directory and then not bother to contact it, should it be in an area we wish to visit later in the year.

replied on 26/06/2020 21:37

Posted on 26/06/2020 21:37

Have all people going away from the 4th onwards thought of this. I know I hadn’t

Thought of what exactly Harry?

harryb replied on 26/06/2020 21:58

Posted on 26/06/2020 21:37 by

Thought of what exactly Harry?

Posted on 26/06/2020 21:58

Contracting the virus

replied on 26/06/2020 22:04

Posted on 26/06/2020 21:58 by harryb

Contracting the virus

Posted on 26/06/2020 22:04

Not given it much thought Harry as we won't be going away before September if at all this year. Might not be a caravan it might be a cottage or similar. 

Takethedogalong replied on 26/06/2020 22:27

Posted on 26/06/2020 21:24 by nelliethehooker

I'm concerned that this may be the attitude of a number of CL owners, thus reducing the number of sites that will be available for a booking throughout the rest of the year. The list of sites on the web site that appear to be open has now fallen to 2165, and I suspect that it will be a fair number less when we get the next update.

Harry, if you don't mind me asking which is the one that you've been in touch with, so that I can note it in my site directory and then not bother to contact it, should it be in an area we wish to visit later in the year.

Posted on 26/06/2020 22:27

Us too. I think it might be down to interpretation of advice in some cases. A lot of the advice given generally around re opening businesses, retail, Leisure seems to be rather vague, and it could be down to very much just how an individual interprets advice, and if it’s considered too much to contend with. Especially if the CL is only a side line and not the main business. Of course, some might actually be shielding themselves, in which case it’s understandable.

I suspect once we do get back on the road, it’s going to be a case of contacting each CL to find out what’s actually happening. A good few don’t update their website page from year to year, so hoping for update from a few on C19 status will be like drawing blood from a stone!😁

cyberyacht replied on 27/06/2020 07:06

Posted on 27/06/2020 07:06

One CL I contacted yesterday said that they would not open before August, so obviously waiting to see what the impact of the latest easing of restrictions will have on infection rates. An understandable, if slightly inconvenient, approach.

Metheven replied on 27/06/2020 09:16

Posted on 27/06/2020 09:16

Don't blame the CL owner, it's business is to welcome and say goodbye not to host someone in self isolation who may be showing Covid symptoms. Their decision and should not be damned for it, I'm certain I wouldn't like someone having to self isolate in 'my back garden' neither, even worse if facilities needed regular cleaning and being used by them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook