Advice to a Prospective CL Owner

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 05/03/2019 11:45

Posted on 05/03/2019 11:45

I've been giving a lot of thought to what I might say to someone thinking now about starting a CL from scratch.

It is definitely a labour of love and there are more profitable ways to use our land, but purely from a financial point of view, a landowner has to consider 'return on investment'.

CLs were created under a 1960 Act of Parliament to make it easier for land-owners to use spare pieces of land without going through a lengthy and costly Planning Permission process, provided that they were limited to just 5 caravans or motorhomes.

Times have moved-on and the expectations of guests have increased: electric hook-ups have become the norm, Wi-Fi is in demand, motorhomes need hard-standings, we get asked for toilets & showers, and electric vehicle charging will be the next hurdle.

The 'Catch 22' for new CL Owners is that motorhomes are on the increase compared to caravans, and require level hard-standings – not only are they more costly to install, hard-standings almost certainly require planning permission.

If landowners need planning permission to install hard-standings (and/or toilets / showers); they might as well skip the 5-van concept and apply to have a larger commercial site right from the start. If they have enough land and time; the economy of scale would make that more financially viable.

I cannot see the 5-van limit changing as it is part of a lengthy piece of law that affects commercial touring sites, static caravan sites and rallies.  The caravan industry has a whole has too much to lose by starting to unravel this law.

If you value CLs: please use them, be grateful for they provide and do not make too many demands on land-owners to add extra facilities that require planning permission.  The 5-van limit was put there as a concession to make things easier for land-owners, not more difficult.

Ian Kelly

01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

Tinwheeler replied on 05/03/2019 11:56

Posted on 05/03/2019 11:56

I think there will always be a market for all types of CLs.

Personally, I don’t make any demands of CL owners as they can provide what suits them. I will, though, search out a CL that provides for my needs which are EHU and, in anything other than likely good weather, a HS. I leave the other CLs to those they suit but don’t demand that they change to suit me. 

cyberyacht replied on 05/03/2019 12:27

Posted on 05/03/2019 12:27

Is a HS essential for MH? Would not reinforced grass serve equally well and avoid planning issues?

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 05/03/2019 12:38

Posted on 05/03/2019 12:27 by cyberyacht

Is a HS essential for MH? Would not reinforced grass serve equally well and avoid planning issues?

Posted on 05/03/2019 12:38

We tried grass reinforcement, but the matting simply follows the dips and hollows of the surface on which it is laid (and can be pushed further into the ground by heavy vehicles). 

Motorhomes like to be level, so we ended-up lifting the reinforcement matting, putting-in a proper foundation and re-laying the matting on a firm, level base.

The other problem with grass reinforcement is that grass is a living, growing substance which gradually covers the matting.  The newly-grown grass and the soil pushed-up by worms has to be scraped off, back down to the matting surface so that vehicles can get traction on the matting.

Oher types of hardstanding might not be so pretty, but are probably cheaper and easier to maintain.

eurortraveller replied on 05/03/2019 12:47

Posted on 05/03/2019 12:47

Ian,  you give an honest appraisal, but for prospective CL owners there is also the question of location to be considered. 

Motorhome owners with panel van sized vehicles often say they can and do drive almost anywhere. But owners with bigger vehicles often say they don't want to take their Motorhome off site.

Setting up a new CL at a location without public transport, without a pub or shop within walking range, without off road cycle tracks, and without any obvious attraction nearby might not be a very good idea. 

Tinwheeler replied on 05/03/2019 13:34

Posted on 05/03/2019 13:34

I would advise any potential CL owner to fully understand regulations, H&S and public liability implications for site operators before embarking on the process of setting up the site.

These include, hygiene in facility blocks, provision of hook ups, electrical testing and electricity supply charging, water testing of all outlets for public use, waste and foul water disposal regs - to mention but a few.

dmiller555 replied on 05/03/2019 14:31

Posted on 05/03/2019 14:31

Perhaps prospective CL owners would be better advised to set-up the most basic of sites with just water and disposal facilities to see how they get on. If this precludes heavy motorhomes, then so be it.

They can then judge whether they consider it worthwhile to expand on these provisions later.

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 05/03/2019 14:38

Posted on 05/03/2019 14:31 by dmiller555

Perhaps prospective CL owners would be better advised to set-up the most basic of sites with just water and disposal facilities to see how they get on. If this precludes heavy motorhomes, then so be it.

They can then judge whether they consider it worthwhile to expand on these provisions later.

Posted on 05/03/2019 14:38

Two years ago, a new CL (ManorAvon) opened a couple of miles from us without electric hook-ups. They only charged £6 per night and we referred bookings to them when we were full.

They closed after a year, having had no bookings. Over the same period, we charged £12 and had our busiest-ever year for bookings.

Despite what 'off-gridders' might say, this tells me that electric hook-ups are important for a CL to survive.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/03/2019 15:32

Posted on 05/03/2019 14:38 by BirchHillFarmCL

Two years ago, a new CL (ManorAvon) opened a couple of miles from us without electric hook-ups. They only charged £6 per night and we referred bookings to them when we were full.

They closed after a year, having had no bookings. Over the same period, we charged £12 and had our busiest-ever year for bookings.

Despite what 'off-gridders' might say, this tells me that electric hook-ups are important for a CL to survive.

Posted on 05/03/2019 15:32

I agree, Ian. As long as LVs are manufactured with all mod cons, the simplicity of hooking up to use them is going to appeal to the vast majority.

Those of us who started our vanning life in LVs with no facilities other than a gas hob and gas lights surely appreciate the luxury of running water, heaters, fridges et al. 

There will always be a few happy to go back to basics but that’s not for me or many others, especially when being 'basic' incurs a large financial outlay to achieve that basicness.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/03/2019 15:34

Posted on 05/03/2019 15:34

I think electric hooks are probably a good idea, particularly if the owners want to do all year let’s. I know there are a good few outfit owners who get by nicely without hook ups, but it does require a bit more investment on your outfit.

Location is everything really to us. That’s our prime consideration in Summer, we want a nice place to stay, interesting places to visit, and above all a relaxed atmosphere. Our all time favourite CL is all grass, has only 10amps, but offers individually landscaped very big pitches. It has one tap, one waste point, and three recycling bins. You are left to pitch up, get comfy and call into farmhouse at your convenience. It’s tucked away down a farm lane, so very quiet. Booked solid in Summer, we always booked a year in advance, and with a mix of all sizes of vans and MHs. Open all year, we have done every month except January. Most users tended to be adults and doing long stays, often only going off site every 28 days as per rules. Farmer towed some vans down to a Club Site for some to have a couple of nights there. Brilliant for those wanting a long stay, but picked up lots of “passing trade” as well if a pitch became free. We made lots of holiday friends there, folks who we saw each year. A lot of Cornish folks used it as well. It’s location for seeing the best of South Western Cornwall is second to none. Farmer did all the work except checking electrics himself. Most CL owners can only dream of this kind of turnover. Always priced less than no facility Club Site nearby. 

Takethedogalong replied on 05/03/2019 15:39

Posted on 05/03/2019 15:39

I’ll add it has no pictures on website,  no email contact, no fancy booking system and only a brief description, and most folks will just dismiss it without another thought. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook