Non payment of Van stolen August 17

Petal1026 replied on 25/01/2018 19:56

Posted on 25/01/2018 19:56

Anyone else still waiting for Caravan club /Devit to pay out on stolen van?  I had a van stolen in August 17 from a site in Oxfordshire, after so many irrelevant questions, the latest being where was our van advertised and who did we buy it from, I am still awaiting payment......I have probably done more in trying to locate this van than the Caravan Club, Devit, the Police and the assessors put together including contacting Highways England to search on their cctv cameras as well as to this day scouring for sale ads throughout the country!!! We remain out of pocket in excess of £12500....

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

replied on 27/01/2018 13:19

Posted on 27/01/2018 11:00 by KjellNN

Sharp knife will soon see an awning removed

Posted on 27/01/2018 13:19

It might still be a deterrent because they would prefer to go for one without an awning, especially as the awning would indicate that it's being occupied and that someone might notice. Furthermore, the poles might present a problem and what about the ground pegs? It would look obvious that something untoward was going on and I doubt that thieves would want to draw attention to themselves!

replied on 27/01/2018 14:27

Posted on 27/01/2018 13:19 by

It might still be a deterrent because they would prefer to go for one without an awning, especially as the awning would indicate that it's being occupied and that someone might notice. Furthermore, the poles might present a problem and what about the ground pegs? It would look obvious that something untoward was going on and I doubt that thieves would want to draw attention to themselves!

Posted on 27/01/2018 14:27

Not if they had read that the occupiers were out for the full evening shopping at Tesco 

KjellNN replied on 27/01/2018 14:30

Posted on 27/01/2018 14:30

It has happened, cannot remember on which site, so it would seem if they want a particular van, they will do whatever  it takes.

Anyone taking a fancy to a particular van would observe the occupants habits, work out when they will have a window of opportunity.

Best plan is to make sure your insurance is sufficient, especially if you have new for old cover, review it annually, and use the required security devices.

Remember to add on all the extras fitted to the  current replacement cost which the Club will provide you with.

replied on 27/01/2018 14:42

Posted on 27/01/2018 14:27 by

Not if they had read that the occupiers were out for the full evening shopping at Tesco 

Posted on 27/01/2018 14:42

On this site there are people constantly walking past, even if it's just to walk their dogs, that would surely notice someone cutting off an awning with a sharp knife, even if we are out shopping at the time! Also the security barriers are there. Yes, we do have Super 5cs insurance but hope we never have to use it.

Also no-one knows,including myself, in advance, how long I'll be out for. There have been times when I have arrived at work and told to go home half an hour later because of it being a quiet evening. Although I have a rota, they seldom stick to it, often letting me off either earlier or later and sometimes cancelling a shift altogether and giving me that day off instead. So I think any potential thief would have a high risk of getting caught if they targetted our caravan that is continually occupied 365 days a year!

Goldie146 replied on 27/01/2018 15:26

Posted on 27/01/2018 14:42 by

On this site there are people constantly walking past, even if it's just to walk their dogs, that would surely notice someone cutting off an awning with a sharp knife, even if we are out shopping at the time! Also the security barriers are there. Yes, we do have Super 5cs insurance but hope we never have to use it.

Also no-one knows,including myself, in advance, how long I'll be out for. There have been times when I have arrived at work and told to go home half an hour later because of it being a quiet evening. Although I have a rota, they seldom stick to it, often letting me off either earlier or later and sometimes cancelling a shift altogether and giving me that day off instead. So I think any potential thief would have a high risk of getting caught if they targetted our caravan that is continually occupied 365 days a year!

Posted on 27/01/2018 15:26

I think that caravans are more likely to be stolen from somewhere other than a caravan site.

Somewhere with fewer observers.

replied on 27/01/2018 17:05

Posted on 27/01/2018 15:26 by Goldie146

I think that caravans are more likely to be stolen from somewhere other than a caravan site.

Somewhere with fewer observers.

Posted on 27/01/2018 17:05

There's obviously some risk but much less risk if the caravan is on site and occupied every night. 

harryb replied on 27/01/2018 20:10

Posted on 27/01/2018 15:14 by Oneputt

Obviously Petal doesn’t want to return and answer some of the questions or bring us up to date

Posted on 27/01/2018 20:10

That does seem a little odd.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/01/2018 20:30

Posted on 27/01/2018 15:14 by Oneputt

Obviously Petal doesn’t want to return and answer some of the questions or bring us up to date

Posted on 27/01/2018 20:30

That could be for several reasons. The most obvious being that  they have not logged in since posting. The fact that it was originally posted in the Story Section may have an impact or the fact that some posters seem to be going off at a tangent? At the end of the day no one on this forum can really answer the OP's question as they don't have access to the necessary information. Even a Staff member would want to deal with it privately. I got the impression the OP was just asking if anyone was in the same position, as yet no one has come forward to confirm that.

David

SteveL replied on 28/01/2018 08:24

Posted on 28/01/2018 08:24

I have only ever made one total loss claim and that was last year on our red pennant insurance, when we had to cancel a planned non vanning trip, due to bereavement.

The burden of proof required by the assessor was quite high. As well as the obvious things like death certificate and original invoices, cancelation invoices and a doctors report from the GP were also required. I would never have thought about the cancelation invoices, as none of the costs were refundable as we were close to departure date. As I was able to supply all the information the claim was quickly paid in full.

Clearly a totally different scenario to the OP. I just mention it to show the  assessors are going to want some proof positive that the caravan actually existed. As they needed proof that I had actually booked and then cancelled a holiday without any refund. That is why I find the OP's comments re providing information on who they bought it from so strange. Why would they think it an irrelevant request. The assessors do need to establish a claim is genuine, before parting with a large sum of money.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook