Non payment of Van stolen August 17

Petal1026 replied on 25/01/2018 19:56

Posted on 25/01/2018 19:56

Anyone else still waiting for Caravan club /Devit to pay out on stolen van?  I had a van stolen in August 17 from a site in Oxfordshire, after so many irrelevant questions, the latest being where was our van advertised and who did we buy it from, I am still awaiting payment......I have probably done more in trying to locate this van than the Caravan Club, Devit, the Police and the assessors put together including contacting Highways England to search on their cctv cameras as well as to this day scouring for sale ads throughout the country!!! We remain out of pocket in excess of £12500....

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

replied on 25/01/2018 20:00

Posted on 25/01/2018 20:00

I presume that you have been given a reason for the delay? 

SteveL replied on 25/01/2018 22:56

Posted on 25/01/2018 22:56

Did you not supply them with copies of a purchase invoice. I would have thought they would be able to tell where you purchased it from those documents. If not it is indeed a very relevant question.

replied on 26/01/2018 05:56

Posted on 26/01/2018 05:56

How did it happen, Petal1026? Was the caravan being stored on the site or were you actually using it at the time? If you were using it, did you have an awning erected? 

Oneputt replied on 26/01/2018 07:33

Posted on 26/01/2018 07:33

Did you buy the van privately or from a dealer?  If privately, was all the documentation completed properly including the Chris registration.  

DavidKlyne replied on 26/01/2018 11:01

Posted on 26/01/2018 11:01

Have you taken this delay in payment up with the insurance department? None of us here can second guess what the issues are that are causing the delay. Comments I have seen in the past about Club insurance claims have in the main been very positive often praising how quickly it was dealt with. 

David

Wherenext replied on 26/01/2018 19:39

Posted on 26/01/2018 19:39

if you were using it, did you have an awning erected?

I fail to see the relevance to the opening post, Malcolm. What difference would it make to the non payment of the claim?

With regard to Petal's problem then if she has supplied all relevant documents to the insurer and the police are satisfied that an incident took place then I see no reason, apart from negotiating the final value, why this claim has not been settled. If you have given over all paperwork and have yet to receive an offer then I would suggest you consult a solicitor and sue both the club and Devitts.

If you have not supplied everything that a normal insurer would need to proceed to settlement then perhaps you could inform us on here as obviously we have only been given your version of events. I am not casting aspersions on your story but there may be reasons unknown to us as to why this hasn't been settled.

replied on 27/01/2018 07:56

Posted on 26/01/2018 19:39 by Wherenext

if you were using it, did you have an awning erected?

I fail to see the relevance to the opening post, Malcolm. What difference would it make to the non payment of the claim?

With regard to Petal's problem then if she has supplied all relevant documents to the insurer and the police are satisfied that an incident took place then I see no reason, apart from negotiating the final value, why this claim has not been settled. If you have given over all paperwork and have yet to receive an offer then I would suggest you consult a solicitor and sue both the club and Devitts.

If you have not supplied everything that a normal insurer would need to proceed to settlement then perhaps you could inform us on here as obviously we have only been given your version of events. I am not casting aspersions on your story but there may be reasons unknown to us as to why this hasn't been settled.

Posted on 27/01/2018 07:56

I'm just interested to know the circumstances, Wherenext. It's relevant to the rest of us to know how best to reduce the risk of such a thing happening to us.

It could be that if an awning is erected, that this might act as a deterrent because of the time and trouble required to remove the awning, for example.

We can learn from this story about what we can do to keep our own outfits safer so that we don't have this problem.

catherinef replied on 27/01/2018 11:39

Posted on 27/01/2018 11:39

I've also come across a situation once before where an awning was in place and used to conceal the presence of the offenders whilst they removed the wheel lock.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook