ULEZ

Mike5635 replied on 30/08/2023 11:19

Posted on 30/08/2023 11:19

Is it really cost effective now to visit one of the four sites that are within in the new ULEZ, lots of members have older cars that have passed there MOT but will have to pay the £12,50 a day. So will it be really worth it to visit these sites.

Moderator Comment - Questions should be asked in the Discussion Area, not Stories.

KjellNN replied on 31/08/2023 09:35

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:35

I posted about this on another thread earlier this year.......

Not a MH, but our daughter owns an old Volvo V40, registered 09/2002, and works just inside the  new Glasgow LEZ, we and she were pretty sure she could not drive it in the zone.    However the numberplate checker says she is fine, we checked all the  zones in UK, including the London ULEZ , she is apparently fine for all of them.

She even sent a query to the Glasgow  scheme to query the result and was assured she was OK.  She has kept a  copy  of their reply.

Yesterday she  had to go to her office, where she gets a parking space, so took her car.  Now waiting to see whether she gets a fine.

LLM replied on 31/08/2023 09:46

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:27 by DavidKlyne

Whilst there is some logic in that suggestion the problem is that it immediately disenfranchises those with non compliant vehicles. At least by making a charge you have a sort of choice? There has been a lot of concentration on the London scheme of late but similar things are happening all around the country. I am sure the same arguments we are witnessing now about the expansion of ULEZ in London happened when they expanded it initially to the North and South Circular roads. People seem to have got over that and I am sure we will learn to live with it?

David

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:46

That begs the question "why should we have to learn to live with it?".  Especially with something that seems to based on very inaccurate evidence spun to make it look as if it is doing some good.  I much prefer the French and German systems that actually do improve the air quality and help protect their populations without robbing them blind.  

Vulcan replied on 31/08/2023 09:53

Posted on 31/08/2023 08:16 by Oneputt

Surely if a vehicle is non compliant why not ban them all together otherwise charging is just a cash cowsurprised

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:53

You have hit the nail on the there Oneputt, if a vehicle is causing pollution how is it less polluting if it has paid a toll. Why anyone would want to go to London for a holiday is beyond me, let alone paying for the privilege.

Twos more then one replied on 31/08/2023 15:56

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:53 by Vulcan

You have hit the nail on the there Oneputt, if a vehicle is causing pollution how is it less polluting if it has paid a toll. Why anyone would want to go to London for a holiday is beyond me, let alone paying for the privilege.

Posted on 31/08/2023 15:56

The charge is an incentive to change the vehicle to a ULEZ compliant vehicle ,not a charge to stop vehicles entering the zone
ULEZ is about clean air, and the health of those that are sensitive to poor air quality

JohnM20 replied on 31/08/2023 16:10

Posted on 31/08/2023 16:10

An interesting comment on West Midlands TV this morning that a research team (Birmingham University I think) had found that the reduction in pollution by the scheme in Birmingham was only about 50% of what it was claimed it would be. 

Why does the ULEZ charge have to be £12.50 per day? Wouldn't it have been a more sensible idea to start at a much lower figure, say £5.00 and then increase it steadily over a few years especially in the current economic climate where it is the worst off that will be hit the hardest. These are the people that can't afford to change their car no matter how much they may want to and public transport is not always the answer to travel.

Fozzie replied on 31/08/2023 16:30

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:53 by Vulcan

Posted on 31/08/2023 16:30

It is not aimed at the holiday maker Vulcan,but the people who have to work and enter this new zone,especially from the adjacent county's,that are paying for this privilege.

DavidKlyne replied on 31/08/2023 20:08

Posted on 31/08/2023 16:10 by JohnM20

An interesting comment on West Midlands TV this morning that a research team (Birmingham University I think) had found that the reduction in pollution by the scheme in Birmingham was only about 50% of what it was claimed it would be. 

Why does the ULEZ charge have to be £12.50 per day? Wouldn't it have been a more sensible idea to start at a much lower figure, say £5.00 and then increase it steadily over a few years especially in the current economic climate where it is the worst off that will be hit the hardest. These are the people that can't afford to change their car no matter how much they may want to and public transport is not always the answer to travel.

Posted on 31/08/2023 20:08

On the question of whether ULEZ zones achieve their original goals in terms of pollution reductions, there will always be arguments trying to say they don't, usually from those that don't like these schemes. I would reckon that a 50% reduction in projected pollution levels is still a big win? 

The question about charging is valid. The Germans for years have had the Umwelt scheme which requires you to display a sticker in the windscreen (same size as the old tax disc) with the pollution level of the vehicle indicated by a colour, red, yellow and green. They are more generous than UK designation as green goes back to Euro 4. However individual cities, as I understand it, perhaps Lutz can confirm, can decide on stricter criteria, only allowing more modern vehicles into their green zones. BTW the sticker costs about €6 and is valid for the lifetime of the vehicle. Which brings us neatly to the question charging. Had the ULEZ been set at a slightly lower level, say Euro 5, there would have been hardly any vehicles that would need to pay the charge and I am sure we wouldn't be discussing it now? It is said that the revenues raised by the scheme will go to improving public transport which is an important and well worthwhile aim. The problem in this country is that the Government is not prepared to finance that investment so funding has to come from the fees raised by older vehicles using the zones. The double benefit is that the more people that switch to public transport there is even less pollution created. I appreciate that is not how everyone sees it. 

David

Whittakerr replied on 31/08/2023 20:14

Posted on 31/08/2023 16:10 by JohnM20

Posted on 31/08/2023 20:14

Why does the ULEZ charge have to be £12.50 per day? Wouldn't it have been a more sensible idea to start at a much lower figure, say £5.00 and then increase it steadily over a few years especially in the current economic climate where it is the worst off that will be hit the hardest.

I think you will find the £12.50 is a starting point and it will rise steadily to ayour round £20 - £25.

Vulcan replied on 31/08/2023 22:20

Posted on 31/08/2023 22:20

Content has been removed.

JohnM20 replied on 01/09/2023 07:29

Posted on 01/09/2023 07:29

On the question of whether ULEZ zones achieve their original goals in terms of pollution reductions, there will always be arguments trying to say they don't, usually from those that don't like these schemes. I would reckon that a 50% reduction in projected pollution levels is still a big win?

I think research carried out by a university is probably unbiased in the main. If it is not to try to convince the public, why over-egg the reality of the benefits? One could say it was purely a con.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook