Fuel and electric car charging

mackilt replied on 15/03/2022 13:35

Posted on 15/03/2022 13:35

I have been on a number sites where electric vehicles have been charging via the site supply. This must stop as fuel at forecourts is now reaching £2 per litre, am I and others to subsidies this act. Cost at sites will need rise with the cost of living so please by all means get some company to to put in charging stations for this use and stop this ASAP.  

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

Tinwheeler replied on 15/03/2022 13:57

Posted on 15/03/2022 13:57

Charging EV's on site carries an extra fee. It is not included as part of the pitch fee so you and I do not subsidise it. Charging must also be done via the caravan/MH and not direct from the bollard.

There is info on this website HERE

brue replied on 15/03/2022 14:57

Posted on 15/03/2022 14:57

Sorry I see this from the other side. 

Those who do charge a full EV have to pay a whopping £9 per charge. Whilst their car is charging they have to manage on a reduced supply to their vans which they have already paid for!! To avoid this use a C&CC site where common sense applies, vehicle charging is included and is at the site managers discretion if there are other heavy demands on electricity.

In the future it is hoped that CAMC will not discriminate in this manner, stop elecricity being wasted on sites and encourage vehicles which don't pollute.

Meanwhile we all subsidise the energy wasters.

mackilt replied on 16/03/2022 15:41

Posted on 16/03/2022 15:41

AT this moment in time I would get 4 litres of fuel so you are getting a very good deal and road tax who is kidding who.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/03/2022 16:01

Posted on 16/03/2022 16:01

I think the club said the present arrangement re charging EVs is an interim measure until dedicated charging points are installed.

Tbh, I’m not sure road tax has anything to do with CAMC pricing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cornersteady replied on 16/03/2022 16:22

Posted on 16/03/2022 16:22

Good replies above from TW and Brue but however you look at it or agree, as always one doesn't have to use club sites and anyone isn't subsidising anyone else at all in my view. The club sets out it's prices and 'policies' on charging EV and one pays the club at that set rate and people can choose to go to a club site/pay or not based on their views. 

brue replied on 16/03/2022 18:05

Posted on 16/03/2022 18:05

How does the club sell electricity to an EV owner, is it metered? What is the actual rate per charging time? What are the policies for selling electricty bearing in mind electricity is included in the pitch fees for all sorts of usage eg charging up electric bikes, mobility scooters, awning heaters, electric BBQs etc etc.

No, "one" doesn't have to use a club site and if I was thinking about taking an EV or Hybrid I wouldn't. As I said previously I'd use a C&CC site where the electricty usage is inclusive.

If the club wants to discourage EV users, I congratulate them on their forward thinking.....wink

allanandjean replied on 16/03/2022 19:12

Posted on 16/03/2022 19:12

So far as seeing this “from the other side” goes, I spent time yesterday with the owner of a 300 pitch site near Newquay.

The discussion was wide ranging,  but on EV charging he felt that due to his electricity costs he would not be able to allow it and that he was frustrated by the “high expectations” of guests who wanted low pitch prices but unlimited use of electricity.

He had considered installing EV chargers but the price, for the type he was told he would need, was prohibitive, and it was the same for metered supplies at the pitch.

I asked him how his LPG supplies were going, which was OK till someone called in and asked for a refill then, when payment was being taken, returned to their car on the pretence of getting their wallet, and drove off.

SeasideBill replied on 16/03/2022 20:00

Posted on 16/03/2022 19:12 by allanandjean

So far as seeing this “from the other side” goes, I spent time yesterday with the owner of a 300 pitch site near Newquay.

The discussion was wide ranging,  but on EV charging he felt that due to his electricity costs he would not be able to allow it and that he was frustrated by the “high expectations” of guests who wanted low pitch prices but unlimited use of electricity.

He had considered installing EV chargers but the price, for the type he was told he would need, was prohibitive, and it was the same for metered supplies at the pitch.

I asked him how his LPG supplies were going, which was OK till someone called in and asked for a refill then, when payment was being taken, returned to their car on the pretence of getting their wallet, and drove off.

Posted on 16/03/2022 20:00

I guess it’ll ultimately come down to economies of scale, but at this interim stage of EV adoption many sites won’t see beyond the lack of short-term return on investment and high risks involved. Who can blame them? 

JVB66 replied on 16/03/2022 20:18

Posted on 16/03/2022 20:18

On large busy sites ,it would be down to the honesty of the EV owner to inform the site managers, when they use the bollard via the LV socketsundecided

SeasideBill replied on 16/03/2022 20:25

Posted on 16/03/2022 20:18 by JVB66

On large busy sites ,it would be down to the honesty of the EV owner to inform the site managers, when they use the bollard via the LV socketsundecided

Posted on 16/03/2022 20:25

Complete non-starter.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook