Is it a club or are we just paying members?

ScreenNameA4C43ED3A8 replied on 27/08/2017 17:28

Posted on 27/08/2017 17:28

My interpretation of a club is that the club and its members help each other out. I have been members of many clubs, a cycling club, a climbing club and the Caravan Club are just a few.

As a cyclist I have stopped to help others with mechanical's or punctures, as a climber I have helped injured walkers or those lost in poor weather and as a Caravan Club member I have helped other members when I can, including replacing a broken clutch cable in an elderly members tow car as he had no breakdown cover.

This to me is all part of being a member of a "Club".

So in my moment of need due to the hot water and heating failing on my 2015 Swift Corniche caravan, whilst stopping on a CL during this bank Holiday Weekend I thought, I know, I'm a member of a club they can help me out.

So I called Penrhos Caravan Club Site, Brynteg, Anglesey ( the nearest club site with facilities) to ask, as a club member, would you mind if my wife and myself came to your site to use your showers on just one occasion, and of course we would pay a suitable fee, whilst we are trying to sort an engineer (with some difficulty as its a BH weekend, and on going warranty issues with Swift) to repair our Truma heater.

The Warden I spoke to, whilst very polite explained that no we can't use their facilities, as it is against the rules and only members booked in to stay on the site can use the facilities.

This is in now way a criticism of the Warden as if they're the rules then so be it. However are the rules created by the Club and its Committee so strict that wardens are not allowed to use some personal judgement based on individual circumstances to help members out?

As I sit and type this post there is a banner on the right hand side of the page with the statement "Our Guide to Club Together".

The quote below is from the Caravan Club website.

"One of the reasons we’re making these changes is to better reflect our broadening membership; embracing our diversity and reinforcing our sense of community."

Are we clubbing together, reinforcing our sense of community or are we just paying members who get access to your facilities when we hand over the cash, because to me it doesn't really feel like a club. 

Your Thoughts please.

Jeff Lloyd

Moderator Comment :-

Jeff I am not quite sure this fits into the remit of stories so I have moved it to Club Membership in the discussion area

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2017 18:58

Posted on 27/08/2017 18:58

It's a very similar issue to MHs wanting to call in just to use facilities which the club have explained is not allowed. Whether we believe that to be the tight or wrong decision has been thrashed to death on here many times.

Whilst I sympathise with you, Lloydies, I have to say that my first instinct would have been to boil the kettle to get hot water for a good wash. I don't think it would have entered my head to approach another site to use their facilities. Maybe that's due to having been vanning since before water heaters in vans had been invented. laughing

DavidKlyne replied on 27/08/2017 19:00

Posted on 27/08/2017 19:00

I can only imagine you are very young campers. In my youth we were lucky to see a bath (or shower) for two weeks let alone a couple of days. OK so that thought even horrifies me now!!! However we managed with a bowl of hot water and a flannel and we lived to tell the tale. Whether we made any friends is open to discussion but I assume others were in the same positionwink

On a serious note the Club have no provision for such a request. Had I been in that position I think I would have either made do or gone home. Obviously a bit more of a problem if your stay was part of a longer holiday. You chose to stay on a CL with no facilities so I don't think you can lay the blame at the door of the CMC

David

huskydog replied on 27/08/2017 19:09

Posted on 27/08/2017 19:09

My first thought if in that situation would be to boil a kettle on the gas hob ,and secondly just get on with my stay ,what would you do (OP) If you had had a power cut when at home ???

brue replied on 27/08/2017 19:14

Posted on 27/08/2017 19:14

I would agree with the comments posted. Unfortunately this thread is flagging up as a page not found on "read more" it's only visible on "read this discussion." I presume moving the thread still produced an IT fault. frown

replied on 27/08/2017 21:14

Posted on 27/08/2017 21:14

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

compass362 replied on 27/08/2017 21:53

Posted on 27/08/2017 21:53

You are correct on both observations .....yes the CMC is a club(Limited Company) & yes you do have to pay to become a member.

The on site facilities aren't yet available to members on a as hoc basis , you actually have to be staying on a CMC site to qualify to use them.

There have been numerous posts regarding similar issues to yours  in supply of water , waste & toilet disposal & use of washing & showering facilities for a extra payment for members not on site , it isn't available at the moment.

The C&CC do such a service for their members at a moderate cost .

Cornersteady replied on 27/08/2017 23:35

Posted on 27/08/2017 23:35

The club has stated it does not approve of wild camping, nor will it help members to do it. No I don't doubt your word and you have a real reason for asking for what you wanted, however if such requests were granted by the club what is to stop those going wild camping to pop in to club sites to use the facilities perhaps using such reasons as you have given?

Yes it is a club but all clubs have rules and procedures. Yes we are paying members. But joining and paying are voluntary. You could stop being a member of the CAMC and you could join the CCC where what you want is permitted

mickysf replied on 28/08/2017 03:13

Posted on 28/08/2017 03:13

Yes it is a club with members being voted on by fellow member to committees which are involved in the decision making processes. Yes, we are paying members too.

Like you, I have, and witnessed others on site, help out fellow members in their hour of need and I'd bet that will always continue. However, I feel to allow, within the rules, 'off roader' members to use the facilities would not be the wisest of moves as those from nearby CLs, nearby rally fields, those in transit and those wild camping would take advantage whenever and wherever required placing extra pressure on sites, staff, car parking spaces and as a result, those of us all ready on pitches.

As one who wild camps very rarely but tours regularly, on all occasions we do always manage to ablute, obtain water and dispose of waste and always do so responsibly. Sometimes our trips involve planning for this, that is why the club not stipulating a minimum number of nights, you can stay for just one night or up to twenty one, helps us greatly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook