Towing with Skoda 2L diesel

Jimmy Holmes replied on 22/01/2017 21:32

Posted on 22/01/2017 21:32

I purchased new Skoda Octavia 2L diesel 18 months ago to tow Bailey Ranger 500/5 (MTPLM 1180 kgs). Tows really well with exception that oil temperature gauge shows oil exceeding 125 degrees Centigrade on 12% incline. Unfortunately Skoda Octavia users manual says it should not exceed 110 degrees. This oil temperature was recorded in uk when ambient temperature was only 20 degrees C. The Sales literature against which I purchased the car said it was capable of pulling a 1600 kgs caravan up a 12% incline.

After 18 months of protracted discussions with Skoda UK they have no solution and they do not offer an alternative oil cooler for towing. After some investigation with other Volkswagon Group 2L diesel engines and all Skoda 2L diesel engines the overheating of the oil is common throughout the range when towing caravans.

I discussed the problem with Castrol oil company whoSE oil the VAG group recommend. They said it should not exceed 110 degrees centigrade otherwise engine bearing wear will occur.

So if you are towing with 2L Skoda, Volkswagon, Audi, Seat engines you are likely to experience overheating of the engine oil when towing in ambient temperatures above 20 degrees centigrade. 

The sad thing is that I towed the same caravan for 5 years with my old Skoda Octavia 2L diesel which did not have an oil temperature gauge. I don't know if the oil overheated or not, although the oil cooler was larger and different design.

flatcoat replied on 23/01/2017 12:12

Posted on 23/01/2017 12:12

Not come across this before and there are plenty of people on here towing with various VW Group cars with that engine, me included. Do any of the Skoda or VW forums shed any light on this - or a solution? Lats summer we were towing into Europe with ambient temperatures in the high 30's and the coolant temperature rose on some long uphill autobahn sections, however it also rapidly dropped when going down hill again. 

flatcoat replied on 23/01/2017 12:37

Posted on 23/01/2017 12:37

Do you know which oil is being used? Without going into nerdy detail VAG do have different specifications and viscosities which could be used in that engine - one is 5/30 and one is 5/40. The thicker 5/40 will be a better oil to use for towing/motorway work etc, the 5/30 better for short distances, quicker warm up. 

ocsid replied on 23/01/2017 13:25

Posted on 23/01/2017 13:25

Reducing the speed hills are climbed will reduce the power needed and with it the engine oil temperatures reached.

As generally will holding lower gears so the power is developed at lower torque, so lower piston temperatures, improved scavenging cooling, better piston oil cooling and better heat dissipation.

I am surprised that the oil company grab to panic with a temperature of 125 C, it is quite high but should be for [hopefully] a synthetic well below oil oxidation temperatures; I worked some military units up to 140 C knowing it was just an encounter and not held for long; that really does eat into oil life.

In your case knowing things get hot on a long uphill drag I would simply ease off a little and use more revs for the few periods it is encountered. If worried still, then change the engine oil more regularly and whatever you do buy high quality oils.

Domestic cars are not primarily designed for the massive overloads of towing caravans; if using them for that we need to be sympathetic to the extra stresses it causes.

Metheven replied on 23/01/2017 13:40

Posted on 23/01/2017 13:40

Of course there may be a remote chance the oil temp sensor is a bit 'iffy', for the cost of a replacement perhaps change it! Or even re-calibration of the existing one needs to be done.

ChrisRogers replied on 23/01/2017 14:23

Posted on 23/01/2017 14:23

I have a Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi 4x4 (2012) I did tow 1,230kg (now towing 1,318kg), never had any problem at all even when outside temp has been 30c on German / Czech motorways and on some long hills. I am on a 2 year / 20,000 mile service using oil to VW 507 00 spec. Cannot find any reference to oil temp in my handbook

wallacebob replied on 23/01/2017 16:06

Posted on 23/01/2017 16:06

I have a Yeti 2.0L 109BHP, 110k Miles. I always have raised oil temp when towing, but around 110degrees is the max I have seen, usually less. I change oil/filter every 10k and use Eurocarparts Triple QX 5w-30 VAG. I used what I thought was a "better" oil last year, and found rattles and poorer performance??? I do 30k per year so oil change is regular for me! Have you tried a flushing oil?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook