A-Frame Towing Europe

Paul1951 replied on 09/07/2017 18:12

Posted on 09/07/2017 18:12

A-Frame towing in Europe
I know this subject has been covered many times on various forums and I have read most of them.
I have been towing a Citroen C1 behind my Swift Bolero for 4 years now without any issues, but the number of people reporting problems does concern me. The system I use is fully electronic applying the cars brakes in proportion to the motorhome braking, there is a breakaway safety device fitted, all car lighting operate as any caravan or trailer would and it can be reversed without intervention. I believe this system meets all the legal requirements for a trailer hear in the UK.

I also believe that In Europe and Spain especially, the A-Frame assembly is classed as a recovery tool as in a Tow-Dolly or Rigid Tow which can only be used for short distances by licensed agents. These devices have no braking or lighting connection to the towed vehicle.

Now my point is more to do with the Safety and Convenience issue.
I don't think there is any doubt that towing with an A-Frame that meats all legal requirements is more Stable, Safer and more Convenient than using car transport trailer. With the growing number of Club members realising these benefits should the Motorhome and Caravan Club legal team be taking this matter up.
Comments Please.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/07/2017 19:43

Posted on 09/07/2017 19:43

Are you really expecting CAMC to take on Europe?

Sorry but European law is unlikely to be changed by a few whimperings from CAMC. Anyway, once we're no longer part of the EU they won't even need to listen to the UK.

Tammygirl replied on 09/07/2017 20:14

Posted on 09/07/2017 20:14

Oh how I wish this problem would be resolved, however I think it will carry on for ever.

We used to A frame in Europe but having been stopped twice now, In German and Belgium, we only use the A frame in the UK.

What really annoys me are the manufacturers of A frames that still tell buyers that 'their' frame is legal in Europe, its not.

Lutz has gone out of his way on many occasion to explain why they are not allowed, I wish they were as I do not want to put my car on a trailer but if we are going to Spain/Portugal for 6 months I would very much like to take it. I could hire one but at a cost, when I have a perfectly good car and A frame at home.frown 

Lutz replied on 09/07/2017 22:44

Posted on 09/07/2017 22:44

Without going over the issue in detail all over again, the biggest stumbling block is that the unit consisting of the A-frame and the car is treated as a trailer, as there are no provisions in the law (not even in the UK) which specifically cover A-frames. With the introduction of whole vehicle type approval requirements for trailers such a unit would have to be type approved, not individually as an A-frame, nor the car, which has its own type approval, but as one complete unit. Fact is that no-one has ever gone through such an approval process. Until such time, A-frames are illegal. Full stop.

A further issue is that the towed vehicle requires anchorage points for the attachment of the A-frame which are usually a permanent fixture. These amount to a technical modification which could affect frontal impact and pedestrian protection performance when the A-frame is not attached and consequently they, too, would have to be approved individually.

Then there is always the issue of trailers having to be registered in their own right with their own number plate in most countries on the Continent. This would mean that the car which is registered anyway would have to be registered, taxed and insured again as a trailer when the A-frame is attached.

In view of such hurdles, the chances of A-frames being legalised elsewhere are just about nil.

peedee replied on 10/07/2017 07:46

Posted on 10/07/2017 07:46

I would agree with Lutz but then is there really a need to two a car on the Continent when it is so much easier to park and get around by other means? If you are overwintering on a single site perhaps there is but winter car hire rates can be very cheap and if you off set the cost of extra cross channel charges, tolls and extra fuel consumption for towing a trailer, it cannot be much more expensive to hire a car and short term hire is probably even cheaper. The figure of 80 Euros a week for a Ford Fiesta at winter rates was the cost this year.

peedee

H B Watson replied on 10/07/2017 08:08

Posted on 10/07/2017 08:08

I still prefer to use a properly designed car transporter, less risk to the car, easier to manoeuvre, 100% legal everywhere, no restriction on the towed car (except weight of course). Downside is naturally the storage on a site though I've rarely had any issues, and the weight of the trailer which eats into the towing margin.

EmilysDad replied on 10/07/2017 09:37

Posted on 10/07/2017 09:37

What about the use of A frames intended purely for the recovery of a stranded vehicle? I have one that attaches to the lower radius arms of any vehicle so no modification of the towed vehicle is required. You just need to rawl about on the ground to fit it.

Lutz replied on 10/07/2017 11:45

Posted on 10/07/2017 09:37 by EmilysDad

What about the use of A frames intended purely for the recovery of a stranded vehicle? I have one that attaches to the lower radius arms of any vehicle so no modification of the towed vehicle is required. You just need to rawl about on the ground to fit it.

Posted on 10/07/2017 11:45

I'd have serious reservations with an arrangement like that. For a start, with the need to crawl under the vehicle to attach the A-frame there is always a danger of not having done the fasteners up properly and there is no way of performing a quick visual check afterwards. Secondly, I wonder whether the car manufacturer would approve. If the car is ever towed over a speed bump, for example, the jolt could affect its suspension geometry.

EmilysDad replied on 10/07/2017 13:59

Posted on 10/07/2017 11:45 by Lutz

I'd have serious reservations with an arrangement like that. For a start, with the need to crawl under the vehicle to attach the A-frame there is always a danger of not having done the fasteners up properly and there is no way of performing a quick visual check afterwards. Secondly, I wonder whether the car manufacturer would approve. If the car is ever towed over a speed bump, for example, the jolt could affect its suspension geometry.

Posted on 10/07/2017 13:59

I guess you've never used one then Lutz. They're difficult to fit wrong. Though they hold onto the lower radius arms, it's only via a chain that wraps over then attached to ratchet straps within easy viewing. I've used one a few times to move a car  over a  considerable distance ..... you'd need to see one up close

Lutz replied on 10/07/2017 15:20

Posted on 10/07/2017 13:59 by EmilysDad

I guess you've never used one then Lutz. They're difficult to fit wrong. Though they hold onto the lower radius arms, it's only via a chain that wraps over then attached to ratchet straps within easy viewing. I've used one a few times to move a car  over a  considerable distance ..... you'd need to see one up close

Posted on 10/07/2017 15:20

You're right. I haven't used one. The thought of a chain wrapped around the lower radius arm frightens me though, even if the chain is enclosed in a sleeve to protect the radius arms from damage. Surely one would still have to get under the car to see whether the ratchet straps are tight? Without a dedicated attachment point, can't the chain slip and foul the front suspension pivot joints or worse, the brake pipes or brake hoses to the front wheels if the straps aren't done up tight enough? I'd certainly like to see one up close.

How does the arrangement apply the brakes on the towed vehicle?

Milothedog replied on 10/07/2017 15:41

Posted on 10/07/2017 15:41

"How does the arrangement apply the brakes on the towed vehicle?"

They don't, It's all done with whatever your towing with.

You don't see them anymore but when I was doing my apprenticeship back in 70's we had something called a Harvey Frost Toy Boy. basically a Crane with an axle and tow hitch. and you put 2 chains around a suitable point under the front of the car and hooked them through keyhole slots on the A frame bar attached to the crane cable. This then had two long, wide rubber straps that protected the front of the car. If need be you had to use wood packers to prevent lower panel damage. This was of course back in the days of Chrome bumpers. It would be a nightmare to use nowadays.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook