Warranties - Using Club Influence for Members

Wherenext replied on 23/03/2020 19:31

Posted on 23/03/2020 19:31

There will be many members whose Caravans or Motorhomes are going to need to be serviced to comply with and safeguard their warranties.

Can the club use their influence, if they have any, to ask all of the manufacturers to extend these warranty deadlines by the same time as the Government deem unnecessary travel to be in force? This would be acting in the interests of their members, particularly those who have been specifically asked to stay indoors for the next 12 weeks.

I cannot see this type of travel as falling within the definition of essential, although it is quite possible that motor vehicles will still need MoTs. Nothing heard yet about what steps the DoT will take on them.

Moderator Comment - I have edited title of this thread so the content is easier to identify as we have had other threads started on the same subject.

SteveL replied on 24/03/2020 07:17

Posted on 24/03/2020 07:17

I cannot see this type of travel as falling within the definition of essential, although it is quite possible that motor vehicles will still need MoTs. Nothing heard yet about what steps the DoT will take on them.

My car is due an MOT. I certainly can't argue it's  essential, particularly as we have a second and can walk to the local COOP. I think you are allowed to drive it for an MOT without one.🤔 It can therefore sit on the drive until restrictions are lifted. I will just have to charge the battery occasionally, if it goes on for months. Not sure of the legality if it was parked on the road. I assume in the fullness of time some information will be forthcoming.

clarinetman replied on 24/03/2020 08:03

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:03

Hi I am in same position, heard this morning garages can stay open so hoping the garage will collect and drop off after service and test.

I looked at parking it up on drive like you but think you still have to sorn the vehicles tax which is done on line then retax when ready to take car to be mot 

What a lot of messing about, sure someone will correct me if I have got it wrong I also think a vehicle cannot be kept on the road legally without a mot certified 

JVB66 replied on 24/03/2020 08:15

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:03 by clarinetman

Hi I am in same position, heard this morning garages can stay open so hoping the garage will collect and drop off after service and test.

I looked at parking it up on drive like you but think you still have to sorn the vehicles tax which is done on line then retax when ready to take car to be mot 

What a lot of messing about, sure someone will correct me if I have got it wrong I also think a vehicle cannot be kept on the road legally without a mot certified 

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:15

I have posted on another thread about MOTs the email i recieved states that commercial and public service vehicles are suspended for three months and instructions for private vehicles to follow very soon

Tinwheeler replied on 24/03/2020 08:32

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:15 by JVB66

I have posted on another thread about MOTs the email i recieved states that commercial and public service vehicles are suspended for three months and instructions for private vehicles to follow very soon

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:32

I can only find info about approval tests being suspended, not MOTs. What is the source of this, please, JV?

Cornersteady replied on 24/03/2020 08:39

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:39

I assume that caravan dealers will be closing and as such no where to have your outfit serviced? Will mobile services still be allowed? I would think not.

So surely the likes of Swift will give some leeway on warrenty rules?

JVB66 replied on 24/03/2020 08:41

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:32 by Tinwheeler

I can only find info about approval tests being suspended, not MOTs. What is the source of this, please, JV?

Posted on 24/03/2020 08:41

It is the Min of Transport  website

Wherenext replied on 24/03/2020 14:25

Posted on 24/03/2020 14:25

I spoke with an owner of a Bailey caravan today and his caravan was due in for a service in the next week or so. The local dealers have closed their workshop but informed him that they, the dealers, have been told that warranty will be extended due to the crisis. His dealer has optimistically booked him in for a new service in early June.

The dealer reassured him that they have confirmation of his original booking but I do wonder about those that have mobile services and/or do not have their service booked yet.

I also wonder if Bailey will issue an official statement.

Tammygirl replied on 24/03/2020 14:31

Posted on 24/03/2020 14:31

OH tells me that we have had an email from our dealer to say that the manufacturers have extended their time frame for services where one had been booked prior to last nights announcement.

replied on 24/03/2020 15:18

Posted on 24/03/2020 15:18

According to BBC News Website, the position on MOTs for Cars, Vans and other private vehicles is 'under review' [perhaps they're expecting an announcement soon? Otherwise Beeb would say 'Car MOT requirements remain in force'?]

Steve

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook