Disabled facilities / officer

TobyLeeds replied on 28/10/2019 18:52

Posted on 28/10/2019 18:52

I recently visited the Malvern site and found all the flexible hoses in the disabled and adapted showers fixed to the wall with Muston rings allowing only about 20 cm of free movement. Clearly this made showering difficult for the disabled.

after several emails to head office I was told that the club did not have a disabilities officer! It seems strange that a club employing so many people and with a membership, many who may have a disability, does not have an officer specifically for disability issues. 

What does the membership think?

JVB66 replied on 28/10/2019 19:02

Posted on 28/10/2019 19:02

The reason the rings are fitted is to stop damage to the showerheads by stopping them from hitting the floor if dropped,and reaching other inappropriate areas  ,As with most large organisations I would expect disability advise to be some expert brought in when needed

Ps I have not found the flexible hoses to be as restricting as you seem to have found, did you speak to the site staff as it may just be a "local" issue

brue replied on 28/10/2019 19:05

Posted on 28/10/2019 19:05

Plumbing regs LINK

PS I'm not a "fount" of knowledge but remembered when OH fitted a new shower we saw the instructions about this on the paperwork. 

replied on 28/10/2019 19:39

Posted on 28/10/2019 19:39

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 29/10/2019 09:11

Posted on 29/10/2019 09:11

I’m no expert on the regs and I’m working from a hazy memory but I think the link Brue posted demonstrates that the club have got it wrong at Malvern. It is the only disabled room I’ve come across, in either club, with such a restriction fitted to the shower hose.

brue replied on 29/10/2019 09:27

Posted on 29/10/2019 09:27

It looks as though disabled site users need to look at individual sites for suitability and maybe phone the site to check. There seems to be a difference with facilities for those who are "walking" disabled and those in wheelchairs.  Put "disabilities" into search and you can see the clubs comments (lost my link somewhere!)                                                        Whether disabled facilities can offer a flexible shower head rather than one that is limited by regulation fixings, the club would need to respond as it's quite an understandable question put by the OP. So I'll report the OP's original comments and see whether the response can help?

peedee replied on 29/10/2019 09:55

Posted on 28/10/2019 19:02 by JVB66

The reason the rings are fitted is to stop damage to the showerheads by stopping them from hitting the floor if dropped,and reaching other inappropriate areas  ,As with most large organisations I would expect disability advise to be some expert brought in when needed

Ps I have not found the flexible hoses to be as restricting as you seem to have found, did you speak to the site staff as it may just be a "local" issue

Posted on 29/10/2019 09:55

That is also my understanding JVB. In the past I have also complained about the restrictions the rings impose on reach and I think they were in this instance removed. I don't believe it is a plumbing regulation to have these.

On the whole we have found the Clubs facilities for the disabled to be excellent although since we changed to the current motorhome we rarely use them now prefering to use on board facilities.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 29/10/2019 10:39

Posted on 29/10/2019 09:55 by peedee

That is also my understanding JVB. In the past I have also complained about the restrictions the rings impose on reach and I think they were in this instance removed. I don't believe it is a plumbing regulation to have these.

On the whole we have found the Clubs facilities for the disabled to be excellent although since we changed to the current motorhome we rarely use them now prefering to use on board facilities.

peedee

Posted on 29/10/2019 10:39

It’s an advisory thing as far as I can tell, PD, and the aim is to prevent the shower head dropping into water in the basin, toilet etc and back syphoning. It’s unlikely that could happen in a site disability wet room. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook