Excessive site fees

peddim replied on 15/04/2016 11:45

Posted on 15/04/2016 11:45

Just returned from Chester Fair Oaks site, one night, £31.30 !!, I nearly choked on my dentures, It was our first trip out this year, only able to book something last minute.Ok, apparently, our over night stay was classed as still in  the 'High' season, but £31.30 per night (two adults) to stay in my own caravan is ridiculous. The club is in danger of  killing the goose that layed the golden egg. it's easy sometimes to forget that we have also paid a membership fee for the privilege of being charged so much.

InaD replied on 15/04/2016 12:07

Posted on 15/04/2016 12:07

Were you not aware of the cost at the time of booking?  There are a lot of CLs out there where you could have near enough 3 nights for that price!

We've been away sine the Wedenesday after Easter, still high season, but by staying on CLs and 1 CS, average nightly cost for those was £12.50 a night.  Prices on CLs are usually the same whatever the season, so next time perhaps check out one of those.

moulesy replied on 15/04/2016 12:24

Posted on 15/04/2016 12:24

Peddim, you're quite new to the forum so you might not be aware that there are already several similar threads running in the UK sites & touring section. One point which comes across very often is that the CC pricing structure, for all its faults, is actually rather fairer than many alternative organisations offering very good deals away from high season but subsidised by sky high prices during school holidays. In that sense the CC structure is rather fairer. I agree the price you paid is far higher than we'd be prepared to. At the moment we're at Ferry Meadows, 4 nights for a smidge under £18 a night. Some will say that's still to high but we're satisfied with it. I realise you say you only booked last minute so may have been desperate for a pitch but I'm guessing there are probably many alternatives in that area to consider.

JayEss replied on 15/04/2016 12:28

Posted on 15/04/2016 12:28

It is a lot for a site that isn't even in Chester Laughing

There are some CLs in the area - in fact there is one very close to Fairoaks

SteveL replied on 15/04/2016 12:59

Posted on 15/04/2016 12:59

I don't know about Chester but the schools are still on holiday around here, so it is not surprising prices are high season. If you were to try and book a hotel room I suspect the prices would also reflect this. I am not sure why the fact you supply the accommodation should mean the price is ridiculous. Granted it is high, but in general in the high season sites are fairly full, so this would indicate the CC are pitching it about right.

JayEss replied on 15/04/2016 13:03

Posted on 15/04/2016 13:03

Most schools and colleges are still on holiday in Chester and Ellesmere Port (where the site is)

MichaelT replied on 15/04/2016 14:28

Posted on 15/04/2016 14:28

I am not saying the price charged is fair or too high however 2 things.

1. You may supply the van but the CC provides the site and infrastructure within it.  you can use electric, toilets, dishwash if you want all that have to be maintianed as does the grounds.  They have to secure the site and cut the grass, clean toilets etc.

2. Your membership fee does not matter, you join the club to gain access to the facilities, sites and services it provides, you may or may not use all or any of these your choice.  The only thing it does do on sies is give you a better price than non members on those sites that allow non members to stay.

thebroons replied on 15/04/2016 14:30

Posted on 15/04/2016 14:30

Just returned from Chester Fair Oaks site, one night, £31.30 !!, I nearly choked on my dentures, It was our first trip out this year, only able to book something last minute.Ok, apparently, our over night stay was classed as still in  the 'High' season, but £31.30 per night (two adults) to stay in my own caravan is ridiculous. The club is in danger of  killing the goose that layed the golden egg. it's easy sometimes to forget that we have also paid a membership fee for the privilege of being charged so much.

Excellent post. 

Paying almost 50 quid for the privilege of being charged £31.30 for a space in a glorified field is robbery. 

Surfer replied on 15/04/2016 14:33

Posted on 15/04/2016 14:33

I would think that £18 - £20 per night in high season is reasonable however over £30 is ridiculous!

moulesy replied on 15/04/2016 15:30

Posted on 15/04/2016 15:30

Excellent post. 

Paying almost 50 quid for the privilege of being charged £31.30 for a space in a glorified field is robbery. 

But of course, there is an obvious course of action if you find that unacceptable! You can even still come on CT for a good old moan, even if you're not a member! LaughingLaughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook