Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

crusader replied on 28/04/2016 14:01

Posted on 28/04/2016 14:01

Well I reserved judgement until I had watched both programs and my conclusion is, please dont make any more and if I were someone who was intrested in buying a caravan and joining our great passtime, this would have put me off for life. As for our chairman all I can say that is he blind, to try and go down a slope and up a slope on uneven ground in movement is beyond belief. I do hope the club wont be paying for his repairs, but well done the producers for showing how not to do it Frown 

EmilysDad replied on 28/04/2016 14:03

Posted on 28/04/2016 14:03

I have sadly read every post MM Embarassed and no, I do not recollect an 'insulting' post by you, ..... well not as insulting as some Laughing

Must be a lot of 'yellow' cards being handed out Innocent

Must be

hostahousey replied on 28/04/2016 14:06

Posted on 28/04/2016 14:06

I have sadly read every post MM Embarassed and no, I do not recollect an 'insulting' post by you, ..... well not as insulting as some Laughing

Must be

I think you need an apology MM unless the CC can give you a proper explanation .

tivano replied on 28/04/2016 15:05

Posted on 28/04/2016 15:05

The show was a bit like the caravan magazine a waste of time still I can bin the magazine before I open it and turn the TV off after 3mins yes that was enough 2mins was spent looking for the TV remote 

OnlyJen replied on 28/04/2016 15:07

Posted on 28/04/2016 15:07

I think the idea of a Caravanner of the Year is a good idea if executed correctly. Not to include  games, dining, fairy lights racing up inclines etc but, to include hitching up, loading, correct weight distribution, towing , reversing ( with or without a motor mover ) erection of awnings, correct positioning on pitches, levelling etc. I also think Motorhomes should have a separate section with Camper Vans. Caravans of a similar type to compete against each other. This would give two separated sections . So a Motorhomer of the Year also.

But wouldn't that be incredibly boring and of no interest to anyone but a caravan fanatic (or nerd if I'm being honest)? Rather like obscure caravan programmes on obscure TV channels

As a slightly non-involved observer, no.

Firstly reversing a caravan is an essential technique and to see it practiced well is quite entertaining.  5 minutes spent on a caravan site watching people do it well can be quite pleasureable compared to ten minutes on the beeb watching a parody of it.

How to prepare, what to prepare for, how to get the balance right, safety checks, where to go, the sheer variety of places to stop at, the amazing variety of caravans and motorhomes, ...

all of that would have been fscinating to me when I was first starting out with two young children and a tent.

Perhaps a glimpse of the social life, the satisfaction of getting their safely, being away from it all, exploring places, cooking with limited facilities...

There is a huge, huge wealth of subject matter that if addressed properly some would find fascinating, certainly would challenge the sterotype of the caravanner and possibly would earn a lot of good will.

Instead we saw a carry-on parody that only confirmed stereotypes.

Just my tuppence, Laughing

MJ730 replied on 28/04/2016 15:22

Posted on 28/04/2016 15:22

Must be

I think you need an apology MM unless the CC can give you a proper explanation .

Write your comments here...I don't think I could hold my breath long enough for that to happen.

Mike

hanszinderfaan replied on 28/04/2016 15:24

Posted on 28/04/2016 15:24

Just finished watching the second episode. Not impressed. Hopefully there will not be a third !

revjim replied on 28/04/2016 15:39

Posted on 28/04/2016 15:39

I'm embarrased to be a member! What could have been a leap forward, was totally wasted. Many think of caravaners as pains in the neck, stopping other road users from driving flat out. As was stated by Only Jen, seeing caravaners/mhomers, going through practical things related to getting to/ being on site safely, would be far more informative. Feel very let down by CC.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook