Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

1Tracey1 replied on 28/04/2016 21:16

Posted on 28/04/2016 21:16

We are just watching this now and I honestly don't know what the CC thought they would have to gain by participating in this.  The experiences and participants are like nothing I have experienced in my short time of caravanning.....including at Rallies.  This is honestly like something from the 1970s, no disrespect to that era but things have changed.  I mean.....competitors comparing it to how armed forces personnel must feel when going to War...just absolutely ridiculous.

Bobupndown replied on 28/04/2016 21:31

Posted on 28/04/2016 21:31

Completely underwhelmed by this ridiculous program. Not something to be proud of Caravan Club, and certainly poor form from a chairman who is paid by each of us members to represent us. I actually switched off the second episode rather than watch any more embarrasing,

Pastiche replied on 29/04/2016 07:30

Posted on 29/04/2016 07:30

Let's be fair, the first programme was a real embarrassment for the vast majority of decent, sensible and enthusiastic caravanners who throughout the year enjoy the excellent facilities provided by the club. The second programme was better and each of the participants that entered seemed to be nice people with humour and with a sense of fun.  Let's now move on, forget the well publicised embarrassment and continue to enjoy the very good times we can all get from our membership.

Bakers2 replied on 29/04/2016 07:34

Posted on 29/04/2016 07:34

We are just watching this now and I honestly don't know what the CC thought they would have to gain by participating in this.  The experiences and participants are like nothing I have experienced in my short time of caravanning.....including at Rallies.  This is honestly like something from the 1970s, no disrespect to that era but things have changed.  I mean.....competitors comparing it to how armed forces personnel must feel when going to War...just absolutely ridiculous.

Totally agree.  We are remembering WW1 100 years on with all sorts of events around the country. I thought this comment was an insult to any of those who stood awaiting the command to go  over the top.  Very very inappropriate.

Bakers2 replied on 29/04/2016 07:36

Posted on 29/04/2016 07:36

Real caravanning or motorhoming in my opinion it wasn't. Let's hope the CC doesn't think it is worth having a second 'competition' or programme .

Someone must be reading these posts as some are modified. Hopefully even if they don't respond to the thread they will take note.......  ..........

flatcoat replied on 29/04/2016 07:55

Posted on 29/04/2016 07:55

Did anyone hear the interview with the winner on Chris Evans show? First of all the winner came across as a pleasant individual and I have no problems with them or the other contestants. (Whilst I have views about some of their supposed skills and wouldn't want to be pitched next to some of them I do not think it appropriate to comment further). However he did say very clearly the semi final contestants were selected by audition. Again no surprise there and I have no problem with that providing it is not then dressed up as a competition and supported as such by the (not so) great and good of this Club. At the end of the interview Chris Evans made a typically CE style mischievous comment about Top Gear and the competition........ 

jones8449 replied on 29/04/2016 09:18

Posted on 29/04/2016 09:18

One million members and thats the best we can do!!!!!! Jeremy Clarkson must have wet himself with laughter and screaming " I told you so " at his television. This programme has put the perception of  caravannig back years in the publics opinion. To actually show our chairman ripping the back end off his caravan was totally unbelievable. I am not going to mention individuals as we all must have our best and worst ideas of who they were. I can only assume that this programme was made for light entertainment. But at the Clubs expence. Maybe next year the competition should be held quietly in a rural setting somewhere in the UK without a film crew in sight.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook