Midweek Discounts

moonchip replied on 12/02/2023 00:36

Posted on 12/02/2023 00:36

Though this scheme has now ended does anyone know if anything similar is likely to be introduced again any time soon

Or do I just continue to stay away from CAMC main sites & stick with CL's 

Justus2 replied on 12/02/2023 06:19

Posted on 12/02/2023 06:19

That's our plan going forward moonchip. I believe prices are only going to increase still further and discounts will be rare unless sites have too many spaces unfilled.

We go away in a while on our first outing of the year which includes 3 nights on a club site at £35 a night !  We reluctantly booked it as there is absolutely nothing else in that area, but at £35 a night even in March we have no plans to use club sites for the remainder of the year, its not even worth looking anymore.

peedee replied on 12/02/2023 06:36

Posted on 12/02/2023 00:36 by moonchip

Though this scheme has now ended does anyone know if anything similar is likely to be introduced again any time soon

Posted on 12/02/2023 06:36

Blimey did it make that much of a difference? I would have thought CLs would always be cheaper with or without the discounts. With dynamic pricing are discounts necessary?

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 12/02/2023 09:15

Posted on 12/02/2023 00:36 by moonchip

Posted on 12/02/2023 09:15

Moonchip, Those are not your only options. There ‘s a far greater choice of sites than that - all sorts and all sizes, right across the price range. 

SteveL replied on 12/02/2023 09:36

Posted on 12/02/2023 06:36 by peedee

Blimey did it make that much of a difference? I would have thought CLs would always be cheaper with or without the discounts. With dynamic pricing are discounts necessary?

peedee

Posted on 12/02/2023 09:36

On an up and coming booking to Cirencester (which often had mid week discount) the saving would be £23.40 on a weeks stay. That’s half the standard pitch fee, which is 5.85 x the four days it applied. 

brue replied on 12/02/2023 10:30

Posted on 12/02/2023 06:36 by peedee

peedee

Posted on 12/02/2023 10:30

On certain sites it was a useful booking incentive eg we used Hillhead out of the main season for just that reason and because we like where Hillhead is situated (and it's near to home for a short break.)

Because there are no offers I've booked part of an early season trip with an alternative company, decided on serviced pitches which were £10 less per night than nearby CAMC offerings.

Also the spectre of CAMC (as stated elsewhere) actually raising prices on last minute bookings has put me off.

We use CLs and often C&Cc discounts too.

Takethedogalong replied on 12/02/2023 10:45

Posted on 12/02/2023 10:45

Yes, despite being prolific CL users, we are missing the midweek discounts as well. We usually had a couple of Monday to Friday breaks, somewhere like FM this time of year, but no way will we pay what the Club wants now. We found a very nice alternative CL near Grantham last Spring at less than half the price of an FM stay. Nice cycling as well, which was the main point of our trip.

I have to agree with ET as well, certainly if you look around there as some great alternatives, particularly for MH’s and campervans. 

Takethedogalong replied on 12/02/2023 10:57

Posted on 12/02/2023 09:36 by SteveL

On an up and coming booking to Cirencester (which often had mid week discount) the saving would be £23.40 on a weeks stay. That’s half the standard pitch fee, which is 5.85 x the four days it applied. 

Posted on 12/02/2023 10:57

Or two extra nights away on selected CLs😁 That’s how we look at things.

Cornersteady replied on 12/02/2023 11:14

Posted on 12/02/2023 11:14

It has to be remembered that midweek discounts did not apply to all club sites and at all times of the year, from the last time time this was discussed it was about 24 sites out of 200+ and in June and August it was only two, so if one wanted to go to one of those it was a good saving on the pitch fee (not everything) as Steve mentioned above, and it did not apply to SPs so taking all of that into account it could be said not to be a great loss as it only affected 12% of sites in my view. 

I suppose it was introduced not as a perk for club members but to get people to come to those less popular, or less popular midweek, sites when they were emptier mid week? So either that didn't happen in some way or wasn't needed  as the club would only offer a discount when its to their advantage?

Perhaps dynamic pricing will replace it but until then to answer the OP - yes.

SteveL replied on 12/02/2023 11:27

Posted on 12/02/2023 11:14 by Cornersteady

It has to be remembered that midweek discounts did not apply to all club sites and at all times of the year, from the last time time this was discussed it was about 24 sites out of 200+ and in June and August it was only two, so if one wanted to go to one of those it was a good saving on the pitch fee (not everything) as Steve mentioned above, and it did not apply to SPs so taking all of that into account it could be said not to be a great loss as it only affected 12% of sites in my view. 

I suppose it was introduced not as a perk for club members but to get people to come to those less popular, or less popular midweek, sites when they were emptier mid week? So either that didn't happen in some way or wasn't needed  as the club would only offer a discount when its to their advantage?

Posted on 12/02/2023 11:27

and it did not apply to SPs

Only the service pitch element. ( no extra £2.50 saving) We were always given the standard pitch discount when we booked a service pitch. Therefore still a decent saving. Looking at how the prices have increased since we booked, it more or less equates to the mid week discount but applies to all sites. Currently the only way to save, if using CAMC sites, seems to be by booking early.

Takethedogalong replied on 12/02/2023 11:46

Posted on 12/02/2023 11:14 by Cornersteady

Posted on 12/02/2023 11:46

It was an incentive as you say Corners, and for those like us, it worked.

Now, following COVID and the explosion into van and MH ownership, and the Club having enjoyed bumper Membership take up this last couple of years, the Club don’t need to offer such incentives as  in the past. They know at the moment things are rosy, and whilst there may be some grumbles about prices, it will remain that for many, and they can still get pitch take up at whatever they choose to charge.

Short term it’s good business management. The coffers are swelling, there’s lots of work being done to future proofing the brand by putting in more and more alternative accommodation and buying up of more holiday park type sites. Those not happy can go elsewhere, look for better value for money.

I’m sort of interested in what’s going to happen when times get a bit harder, and things reach a tipping point. Many like us, somewhat disillusioned by some of the decisions made, the lack of honest open communications this last couple of years, will have moved on one way or another. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook