How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Johnny57 replied on 02/04/2018 14:56

Posted on 02/04/2018 14:56

Hi All off gridders!
I have now updated our sheadsheet database of the CAMC non EHU (Off Grid CLs)
It is available for anyone to view with the link

SHARING LINK: Click here to open the Non EHU CL sheet
The default view of the sheet should be CLs sorted by County. There are currently 434 listed on this sheet along with the postcodes.
You can scroll up and down the list on the right vertical scroll bar and left & right on the bottom scroll bar.
There are links to the CLs page listing on the CAMC website in column 5 which should open a separate page and take you there, to the right of that there will be a blue dot if they have images to view. To the right of this is a range of facilities available a dot against CLs row means available.
If you view the Non EHU CL Google sheet by clicking a sharing link or from the link above on this page on a computer you will be able to sort data by filtering what you do or don’t want (there are some “filter views” already set up! “A-Z County”, “A-Z CL Name” , Postcode, etc)
Look for Filter Views along the icon menu bar above the sheet for  to the right will be a down arrow if you click that it will show the filterviews already set up go down and click the one you wish to view. You can also you hover over the top on the right of the column header (the cell where the letters are) a down type arrow will appear or if you see  you will be able to sort sheet, click it and click sort A-Z (this work on the the dots as will group them all together!)

If you find an issue or would like us to edit/add an entry please leave a comment on the sheet page or email me. We will update the Google sheet monthly after going through the Club Magazine CLs update page.

We have now produced a Google Map to show the location and info of each of the non EHU/Off Grid CLs visited in the April 2018 updated database Click here to view or it is embedded below. You can zoom in on the area you are interested in and click the icons, this will bring up the data on the CL.

fusilier50 replied on 04/04/2018 15:32

Posted on 04/04/2018 15:32

i am relatively new to caravanning but after reading this thread have bought into the idea of going off grid as much as possible.

I have installed a 150w SP and a new 110am/h battery. I have also got a 2000/4000w inverter to power low wattage devices.I've changed all lighting to LEDs and am reducing my dependence on EHU.

I intend using the inverter for powering a tv/dvd, toaster, microwave, phone and laptop chargers. obviously not at the same time

My next step is to install another 110 am/h battery.

I'm a member of a few caravan facebook groups and am getting some flak for using an inverter. Some have pointed out that i will flatten my battery in minutes even with a SP.

i have also been advised and i quote "the RCD WILL NOT WORK ON an inverter or gen power as its a floating earth so we fitted the RVD /RCD switch that activates with inverter power and hookup AC power".  Is this correct and where should it be fitted?

replied on 04/04/2018 17:28

Posted on 04/04/2018 17:28

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

young thomas replied on 04/04/2018 18:22

Posted on 04/04/2018 18:22

agree with DD, a 12v TV and some USB charging will help, as will your second battery...

re: the 'inverter earth' issue, I can't really help either, except to suggest that 230v devices connected via the inverter may not be 'earthed' as the source is the 12v battery positive and negative which don't actually be connected to any outside earth (bollard etc) in order to work..

fusilier50 replied on 04/04/2018 19:01

Posted on 04/04/2018 17:28 by

Hello Fusilier 50.  

If you are going to use the items mentioned powered by an inverter you will certainly give your battery a tough and shortish life.  Adding a second battery will be a great help but you may also wish to consider using a 12v TV/DVD unit and a 12v Laptop charger if you can get one to suit, both of which will be much easier on you battery(s).  Do remember that inverters are not very efficient and will add a considerable drain on your battery(s) even before they power the equipment.  

Can't help with your RCD comment as it makes no sense to me.

Posted on 04/04/2018 19:01

not just me then. i asked for an explanation but just got a repeat of that quote. i thought i was missing something important.

i'll take your advice re 12v tv and laptop chargers.hopefully will find a bargain somewhere

Merve replied on 04/04/2018 19:02

Posted on 04/04/2018 15:32 by fusilier50

i am relatively new to caravanning but after reading this thread have bought into the idea of going off grid as much as possible.

I have installed a 150w SP and a new 110am/h battery. I have also got a 2000/4000w inverter to power low wattage devices.I've changed all lighting to LEDs and am reducing my dependence on EHU.

I intend using the inverter for powering a tv/dvd, toaster, microwave, phone and laptop chargers. obviously not at the same time

My next step is to install another 110 am/h battery.

I'm a member of a few caravan facebook groups and am getting some flak for using an inverter. Some have pointed out that i will flatten my battery in minutes even with a SP.

i have also been advised and i quote "the RCD WILL NOT WORK ON an inverter or gen power as its a floating earth so we fitted the RVD /RCD switch that activates with inverter power and hookup AC power".  Is this correct and where should it be fitted?

Posted on 04/04/2018 19:02

Well done fusilier for go offgrid! A second GOOD QUALITY battery will definitely help your expectations. I have 135 on the roof, 2 not so great now batteries and a 2000w PSW inverter. I have survived offgrid for 4 years now- not only survived but thrived! I stopped counting the amount of savingswhen my kit had been paid for twice over. Don’t forget a Safefill cylinder will help you in the gas side of things too. Those too are now paid for in saved hire charges from Calor. As regards your RCD question, I had my inverter fitted by a totally competent electrician/ electronic engineer. I have never had an issue with it. Perhaps my best advice is to employ the efforts of a properly qualified chap- definitely worth it in the end. I wish you many happy nights at not very much! I could never go back to EHU now after experiencing the freedom that the SP and kit has given me. I would definitely choose 12v TV and charge everything through a USB on 12v. I now use the IPhone to play music via Bluetooth where to consumption is milliamps. Technology is making it so easy now to kick the EHU into touch. I had exactly the same flak when I did it but who’s laughing now? Yes, you have to watch your consumption but I have used my microwave, vacuum, toaster and now a blender without problems for four years. You don’t use any if these things for very long! 3-4 mins if that. Having said that, my batteries are definitely not holding as much charge now so they will be changed. Old 100 yr old technology or Lithium? That is the question. 

Merve replied on 04/04/2018 19:19

Posted on 02/04/2018 14:56 by Johnny57

Hi All off gridders!
I have now updated our sheadsheet database of the CAMC non EHU (Off Grid CLs)
It is available for anyone to view with the link

SHARING LINK: Click here to open the Non EHU CL sheet
The default view of the sheet should be CLs sorted by County. There are currently 434 listed on this sheet along with the postcodes.
You can scroll up and down the list on the right vertical scroll bar and left & right on the bottom scroll bar.
There are links to the CLs page listing on the CAMC website in column 5 which should open a separate page and take you there, to the right of that there will be a blue dot if they have images to view. To the right of this is a range of facilities available a dot against CLs row means available.
If you view the Non EHU CL Google sheet by clicking a sharing link or from the link above on this page on a computer you will be able to sort data by filtering what you do or don’t want (there are some “filter views” already set up! “A-Z County”, “A-Z CL Name” , Postcode, etc)
Look for Filter Views along the icon menu bar above the sheet for  to the right will be a down arrow if you click that it will show the filterviews already set up go down and click the one you wish to view. You can also you hover over the top on the right of the column header (the cell where the letters are) a down type arrow will appear or if you see  you will be able to sort sheet, click it and click sort A-Z (this work on the the dots as will group them all together!)

If you find an issue or would like us to edit/add an entry please leave a comment on the sheet page or email me. We will update the Google sheet monthly after going through the Club Magazine CLs update page.

We have now produced a Google Map to show the location and info of each of the non EHU/Off Grid CLs visited in the April 2018 updated database Click here to view or it is embedded below. You can zoom in on the area you are interested in and click the icons, this will bring up the data on the CL.

Posted on 04/04/2018 19:19

Great work John! Truly helpful - you are a pioneer and I’m sure many will find this very useful. We are on site in North Norfolk at the moment having arrived today. We have the site to ourselves at the moment- What’s not to like about offgrid. 🤣🤣🤣

cody replied on 06/04/2018 12:13

Posted on 06/04/2018 12:13

Sounds perfect Merve  ( if your a hermit or recluse laughing )

was gonna checkout the CL at Gwithian but it’s not open till may tongue-out

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook