Warranty.

Thomas340 replied on 14/07/2017 11:01

Posted on 14/07/2017 11:01

I have just bought a Bailey GT65 Verona 2013. The Dealer I bought it from said it was a van they sold from new and looked after. It has a full service history and when it was brought in for a service a couple of months age the couple decided to exchange it for a new van.

After paying for the van that now sits on my drive I have gone through the service documents only to find them empty with not even a record of the first hand over. I thought at first we had been given the wrong folder for the van.

I contacted the dealer and they say the owner has now said it has been serviced by a friend cash in hand for the servicing done. This not what the dealer said  me when I viewed the van. I'm really confused and don't  know what my right are about the wrong information given to me when I bought the Van. I now realize this invalidates any manufacture warranty on the van. As the reading for water ingress on some point were 15% they say this is fine as anything over 15% need to be checked and sorted. As 15% is on the boarder line I'm a little worried.

I only picked the van up less than 48 hour ago.

Any advice would be greatly received.

caravanerkarl replied on 14/07/2017 12:06

Posted on 14/07/2017 12:06

Well I should not think there is any warrantee left on the van anyway, but purely from a sales issue I would speak to citizens advice quite quickly, from my knowledge (and I'm a little out of date as I used to work with the sale of goods act)  but the information the dealer gave you made up the contract and this information is not correct so the contract of sale is also no longer valid and you should be able to return it to them.

When you spoke to them about this indiscretion what did they say? if they said something along the lines of "Sorry we made a mistake" then that would strengthen your case.

if someone sells you something they cannot tell un-truths to make the sale.

Thomas340 replied on 14/07/2017 12:31

Posted on 14/07/2017 12:31

Hi Karlprust.. There replay today was.

Having looked into this the reason that there is no stamps is the previous customer technically had it serviced but speaking to them yesterday they said it was by a friend who is an engineer and was paid cash in hand and this was never logged with Bailey or in the book.  Now it is out of manufacturers warranty cover anyways but rest assured we have serviced the vehicles ourselves. They have also said they bought the van in.

They may say there is no warranty left but there would have been. Bailey state.

The initial duration of the Body shell Integrity Guarantee is six (6) years and the duration of the Manufacturer's Warranty is three (3) years in both cases starting from the original purchase date of the vehicle. It is a condition of the warranty that an annual service is performed on the vehicle in accordance with the service plan. Failure to comply with this term will invalidate the warranty.

But they can not produce any prof of the works carried out.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/07/2017 12:44

Posted on 14/07/2017 12:44

Thom, you've been lied to no ifs or buts. They lied to you to get the sale. As said-seek advice asap. If you want to reject the LV that is the way to go. If you just want a reduction(money back to reflect the lack of warranty) then explain to the dealer if they don't negotiate a reduction you will take it further. Maybe even throw in 'Trading Standards', good lucksmile

Tinwheeler replied on 14/07/2017 13:12

Posted on 14/07/2017 13:12

The dealer is guilty of misrepresentation and, as such, is in the wrong. I wouldn't worry about the warranty itself as they are often more trouble than they're worth but that doesn't alter the circumstances of misrepresentation. 

I agree with the advice from Rocky and, personally, if happy with the van, I would create hell aimed at a meaningful reduction in price and partial refund.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/07/2017 13:32

Posted on 14/07/2017 13:11 by Thomas340

Thanks Rocky will do. Will let you know what they say.

Posted on 14/07/2017 13:32

Good scheme, that way you could help others who've been lied to.

Pippah45 replied on 14/07/2017 15:05

Posted on 14/07/2017 15:05

The dealer is in breach of contract for telling fibs - have you spoken to the Club Legal Department for advice?  You could perhaps push for free servicing and lots of extra?  I got a free service for a Skoda when they messed me about. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/07/2017 16:28

Posted on 14/07/2017 15:05 by Pippah45

The dealer is in breach of contract for telling fibs - have you spoken to the Club Legal Department for advice?  You could perhaps push for free servicing and lots of extra?  I got a free service for a Skoda when they messed me about. 

Posted on 14/07/2017 16:28

Pip, if Thoms dealer will happily lie to Him I'd not trust em to actually carry out any work personallyfrown

Pippah45 replied on 14/07/2017 18:58

Posted on 14/07/2017 18:58

Good point Rocky - I moved on with the Skoda after I got the perks!  Perhaps Thomas can get a nice awning or something like that wink

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/07/2017 19:04

Posted on 14/07/2017 18:58 by Pippah45

Good point Rocky - I moved on with the Skoda after I got the perks!  Perhaps Thomas can get a nice awning or something like that wink

Posted on 14/07/2017 19:04

Skoda(VW) I'd be far more confident in(although they're fibbers toolaughing) not a Dealer after reading the horror stories on CTfrown

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook