Noseweight gauges

Geering replied on 19/02/2020 11:27

Posted on 19/02/2020 11:27

I am a newbie to caravaning and want to ensure I get the right nose weight (I am happy that I understand the correct figure)

I am looking at purchasing a guage but am torn between the Milenco or Maypole.

The Maypole seems to be good value but am wary of buying 'cheap & cheerful' that cannot be relied upon to give me an accurate reading.

Any thoughts or recommendations please ?

replied on 19/02/2020 11:50

Posted on 19/02/2020 11:50

I can't help I'm afraid. I bought a sturdy pair of kitchen scales and along with a piece of timber and a length of broom handle prefer to use that since I can easily check calibration using my own body weight measured on our proper bathroom scales. I always pack in the same way and no longer check as I know that I will be over 85kg and under 90kg which is fine for me

richardandros replied on 19/02/2020 12:05

Posted on 19/02/2020 12:05

I bought the Milenco on the basis that it's the only one that has been calibrated.  OK, so a bit more money but it seems to do the job. I haven't checked it against anything else, so I can't vouch for its accuracy - but it does seem consistent in that if I know Ros has gone more overboard than usual with the amount of clothes she's put in the rear wardrobes, it does reflect it!

I've learned the hard way - many times - that 'cheap 'n cheerful' doesn't work and you're usually better off getting what you believe to be the best in the first place.

lornalou1 replied on 20/02/2020 20:17

Posted on 19/02/2020 14:18 by Geering

Is this something you have used and can recommend ?

Posted on 20/02/2020 20:17

Yes I have one. It measures the same as my bathroom scales. The thing is they all look the same so could be made at same factory and just different names added.  

Rufs replied on 21/02/2020 08:42

Posted on 20/02/2020 20:17 by lornalou1

Yes I have one. It measures the same as my bathroom scales. The thing is they all look the same so could be made at same factory and just different names added.  

Posted on 21/02/2020 08:42

am i being a bit thick, but if it only weighs in the range 50kgs - 100 kgs how do you determine how much over weight you are if you should exceed 100kgs . If the guage is maxed out you would have to selectively take/move items around until you found the 100 kgs weight. If it measured to 150kgs it would be more practical as you would be able to see exactly how much the weight had reduced by take/move just one item .undecided

Rufs replied on 21/02/2020 09:06

Posted on 21/02/2020 09:06

PYRAMID HD CARAVAN TRAILER NOSE WEIGHT GAUGE NOSEWEIGHT model B0150

got the above as a present many years ago, see on Amazon that it is not available, so no idea re cost, used to use bathroom scales, but the above product is in a nice carry bag and is about the size of a telescope so all good.

replied on 21/02/2020 09:28

Posted on 21/02/2020 09:06 by Rufs

PYRAMID HD CARAVAN TRAILER NOSE WEIGHT GAUGE NOSEWEIGHT model B0150

got the above as a present many years ago, see on Amazon that it is not available, so no idea re cost, used to use bathroom scales, but the above product is in a nice carry bag and is about the size of a telescope so all good.

Posted on 21/02/2020 09:28

Not interested in carrying a noseweight gauge even in a nice bag. For me it is totally pointless. As we tour on trips of 4 to 7 weeks we always carry the same things in the same location. The only thing that change over our trips is a few kg of gas in front locker and the odd half kilo of potatoes in a wet locker. If OH's wardrobe is not fully loaded then she has not finished packing. 

I check noseweight once a year 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook