Jacking your van for Wheel Change

Little Jack replied on 29/04/2017 02:06

Posted on 29/04/2017 02:06

Help please. We bought our first van last year, had a full service done which included four new tyres, amongst other things and we were under the impression from the previous owner that if we needed to change a flat tyre for the spare, our car Jack would be sufficient. Now we are a bit more savvy with Caravanning it occurs to me that a Mitsubishi Shogun bottle jack, although capable of lifting two tons has the ability, it does not have the safe and correct contact with the chassis of the van to make a secure and safe lift. Our van is a 2003 Swift Conqueror 645 Lux twin axle and does have chassis mounted brackets behind the trailing wheels only, to take a jack. Can anyone tell me what kind of jack I should now seek to purchase, a bottle jack, scissor jack or side-arm type or better still can anyone tell me if there is a purpose designed jack for this type of van. I have today proved to myself that our car Jack is capable of lifting the van, but as I say, it was by no means a secure fit and on a motorway hard shoulder with wagons whooshing by, I am sure any gust of wind would knock the van off the Jack which might then puncture the floor of our van. PS: We have a heavy duty single axle motor mover attached in front of the leading two wheels (works fine) and there are no Jacking points forward of this only after the rear wheels. Many Thanks. 

richardandros replied on 29/04/2017 07:13

Posted on 29/04/2017 07:13

My first reaction is that I would never, ever contemplate changing a wheel on a motorway hard-shoulder.  It's far too dangerous with traffic speeding past at 70mph just feet away from where you're working. That's what I pay Mayday cover for.

Personally, I have a Lock 'n Level air bag and have used it to change a wheel in the past on our TA Barcelona and would recommend it as a safe and effective way of jacking the van - especially as we have AWD motor movers fitted and it is impossible to get a conventional jack anywhere near the jacking points. Even on a TA, with a deflated tyre, the 'van settles down and with ours you wouldn't get a bottle jack underneath anyway.

Another advantage is that it doesn't matter what sort of ground you are on - soft or hard - it is equally effective with no danger of the van falling off, once jacked up. The only downside is that you need a means of inflating the air bag and that might mean having the car alongside, allowing your air pump to be connected to the battery but there are ways around this.

heddlo replied on 29/04/2017 08:43

Posted on 29/04/2017 08:43

We have an Alko side lift jack as, like you, we have a twin axle with a motor mover fitted to front wheels only.   The jack is made to fit into the jacking points on the caravan and it does lift it safely.  Is it easy to use? Not really!!  It does require some scrabbling around underneath to get it into position and I have a small piece of wood to help stop the jack from sinking into soft ground.  It would be easier to use if I had three hands! We use it regularly to fix the Alko lock to the second wheel.  Would I recommend it, probably not as it's a real faff, but it works and fits securely.

EmilysDad replied on 29/04/2017 16:06

Posted on 29/04/2017 16:06

Our twin axle caravan came complete with an Alko side lift jack. I tried it while on my drive. I can only suggest that it's used as a chock behind an opposite wheel while you use a proper trolly jack to lift your caravan. It's not even as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike. A small trolly jack can be bought for very little from machine Mart/etc

Tinwheeler replied on 29/04/2017 16:15

Posted on 29/04/2017 16:15

You beat me to it, MM. The Alko jack doesn't even make a good anchor.

A trolley jack every time.👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 29/04/2017 16:37

Posted on 29/04/2017 16:37

We have a single axle c/van  with fitted Alco jacking points and jack which we have used to line up wheel lock, and it has been fine quite easy to use with wooden "pad" to stop sinking,do not know about TA use,but as Alko say do not jack under chassis members the only other place is under the axle plates which are not easy to access 

Nuggy replied on 29/04/2017 21:17

Posted on 29/04/2017 21:17

Little Jack, my advice would be to always keep your 'van' attached to the car when jacking up. It will be held tight and stop movement forwards or backwards, helping to prevent slippage.

Lyke Wake Man replied on 30/04/2017 21:40

Posted on 30/04/2017 21:40

the only jack I would use would be a trolly jack, I woudn't even use the alko jack as if the van tries to role the jack will role over.

I don't carry a jack, I would call Mayday if I was on the road

EmilysDad replied on 30/04/2017 22:08

Posted on 30/04/2017 21:40 by Lyke Wake Man

the only jack I would use would be a trolly jack, I woudn't even use the alko jack as if the van tries to role the jack will role over.

I don't carry a jack, I would call Mayday if I was on the road

Posted on 30/04/2017 22:08

There are some times in life though that it's best to stand on your own two feet. I'd  never wait for recovery for a simple wheel  change. You could be where you wanted to be before recovery turned up. I do take the point 're your safety on a hard shoulder but you could also argue that you could be on your way sooner rather than later doing it yourself ...... a flat bed with flashing lights isn't  going to prevent  40+ tonnes of HGV from hitting you.

dave the rave replied on 01/05/2017 19:20

Posted on 01/05/2017 19:20

common sense demands that a motorway breakdown requires the presence/assistance of an experienced breakdown operative.The saving of 20/30 minutes is not nearly as important as the saving of your life!!!!!HOWEVER....if you must....then a trolley jack is the only answer.

Tigi replied on 01/05/2017 19:55

Posted on 01/05/2017 19:55

Anyone trying to change a wheel on a caravan especially on the offside on a busy motorway needs to think again, call Mayday!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook