Have you tried a CL yet? 2,266 to choose from

CholseyGrange replied on 07/08/2018 20:36

Posted on 07/08/2018 20:36

New to the club?  Did you realise there are 2,266 CL’s across the British Isles?

A CL is a 'Certificated Location.  An independently run site with just 5 pitches. They can cost from as little as £4 (for a very simple site) to over £20.  Most have very simple pricing.

The CL network has around 11,000 pitches available to club members every night in the summer season. Although some are seasonal, many are also open year-round.

If you haven’t given CL’s a try yet, you might be pleasantly surprised. Many members love their rural locations, tranquillity and the fact that they are only sharing a site with 4 other vans.

Find a CL to suit you here

All CL’s will have Chemical Disposal Points (CDP), fresh-water and have insurance. Each one is inspected annually by the Club. Many are on farms in lovely places. They all differ in some way, so it’s worth doing your research to ensure they meet your needs before booking with the owner. It’s well worth reading the reviews for a CL before booking on the CAMC website. An increasing number offer email or online booking.

• 2,129 welcome dogs
  • 1,839 have Electric Hook Up (EHU)
  • 582 have both Toilets and Showers
  • 923 have Hardstandings
  • 319 have WiFi
  • 391 are Adults Only

If you have enjoyed a CL yourself, please leave a review or nominate it for the CL of the Year competition.

Many members say they only join for the CL network. Are you a CL supporter?

CholseyGrange replied on 18/08/2018 17:48

Posted on 18/08/2018 17:48

Firstly, thank you for all your positive feedback about the CL network. 

A bit of background. I'm a CL owner and help to support 400+ CL's up and down the country who are part of the CL Owners Group, a self-support network that CL owners manage (the Club does not get involved).

CL's really appreciate the support (and income) they get from the Membership, and 99% of the time Members / Visitors are fabulous guests.  Many repeat visitors become good friends.

Unfortunately, the CL Network is declining in number.  This has been the case for many years and despite efforts by the Club to recruit new CL's. the 'hole in the bucket' is bigger than the tap filling it.

Over the years the requirements of the average members (some of which are listed above) have grown and grown.  Owners that wish to run the CL on a commercial basis (make a profit), like myself, often have to invest a significant sum (Circa £20,000-£30,000) with a 5-6 year return on investment.  Other owners are quite happy to run the site as a hobby and perhaps have no interest in covering their costs.

As with many small businesses, some are more 'savvy' than others in terms of meeting customer expectations (for example providing good photos of their CL site), or the facilities needed by the growing number of MH's.

Likewise, the requirements of Members to have available an effective (and modern) way of locating and booking a CL that meets their specific requirements is part of what (I believe) the Club should offer,  At present the club website, directory and mobile App all have significant failings that impact the way Members are served and the popularity of CL's. 

A major overhaul of these is now required if we are to keep pace with the Tourism Industry and the needs of members aged under 50.  However, the Club has a dubious record when it comes to IT implementations (The last Website update in 2016/17 put many CL's 'offline' for 3 months - the Mobile App is currently not updating any new CL information), so we are hesitant to ask for this!

Online booking of CL's (via a Club-based site) would present a number of challenges, but I think it has to take place in the next 5 years if any CL's are to survive.  Again, I have little confidence at the moment that the Club could implement such a system, or that the majority of CL Owners would 'come on board'.   However, if we are to see the CL network come into the 21st century, it has to happen.

If you are keen to see the Club invest in the CL network, make your feelings heard at the next Club AGM, which will be held at York Racecourse on 27 October 2018.  All Members are welcome to attend the AGM which starts at 2PM.  A number of CL Owners will likely attend.

Thank you again for your thoughts which will help guide the Owners Support Group as we discuss various ideas with the Club in an effort to improve the CL network.

Bakers2 replied on 18/08/2018 18:01

Posted on 18/08/2018 18:01

Well said in all respects.

I'm not sure we can get to the AGM but I hope you are able to get the club on board some more. I think the website is appalling in many areas including for site searches and worse for CL's. I couldn't agree more with the need to have a decent intuitive website and app  - but I don't think the team who did the last upgrade are up to the task! Sadly the money spent on the change of name, another debate, could have provided a team with the skills to get an extremely good website and app. Mind you whoever is in charge of placing a request/spec needs to know what sort of finished product they require 😉

Ps I'm over the age you suggest 😂 so it's not just the younger members! I see on another thread the play area has ceased to be after the upgrade - so do the club want to reach younger folks???

ADD46 replied on 18/08/2018 18:50

Posted on 18/08/2018 18:50

Cholsey Grange - thank you for highlighting the difficulties faced by all CL owners. We personally only use CLs, so the club only gain our annual subscription fee to enable us access to the CL network. I believe the CL structure should be recognised as an asset to the club and given the help, advertising and support they deserve. Sadly, having spoken to a local CL owner, we are aware that this is not always the case. Come on Caravan Club, this is part of your network and industry and it requires investment in recognition for the service they provide. 

brue replied on 18/08/2018 19:13

Posted on 18/08/2018 19:13

I would like to see a search facility along the lines of the C&CC, totally agree with Ted (Cholsey Grange) that the club web site needs further development. 

An example of my search on the other web site, using the town of Alnwick as a base shows a map and pinpoints both main and CS (CL) sites. CAMC concentrates on it's own main sites and CLs appear at the bottom of the search page, I doubt that many look down that far when they have read the site details etc. There is a separate map search, which is convoluted to say the least. The map should be combined with the original search.

I do hope the club listens to all the ideas about web site improvements especially from CL owners and users.

InaD replied on 19/08/2018 17:19

Posted on 19/08/2018 17:19

To TTDA and Brue: apologies for not reacting before now, but haven't been on CT since I posted that; thank you both very much for posting details of CLs, I appreciate it and will peruse them later.  

We have spent time on Dartmoor some time ago, and loved it, so time to go back again, hope it's still as good as we remember!

redface replied on 21/08/2018 21:48

Posted on 21/08/2018 21:48

Funnily enough I have just booked up with the OP.

As regards MH'ers being stuck in a field away from buses may I suggest that they motor to a more convenient spot near a bus stop and park up there? That is what MOH and I did when we walked the Thames Footpath and sites were not too near the bus stops.

Waffler replied on 22/08/2018 20:36

Posted on 22/08/2018 20:36

We have used CLs since 1969. It is interesting that the numbers have declined (3500 in 1969, now low 2000s). The other club's equivalent have increased in number over the past few years. Quite the worst CL was in Scotland near Pitlochory. £4 a night in 2009, gate was submerged in mud and grass was a foot long. Small enclosure surrounded by fir tees and very gloomy. To make matters worse the water was green after boiling!!!!!  (The OH complained and so I had to pay £17.50 on a nearby commercial site.) Possibly amongst the best is at Woodhal Spa set in a private arboretum with lawned grass. One easy way to improve take up would be for web staff to change the way you have to search through every town in the country to find where you want to go. (They have coded it to  highlight relevant towns but you still have to scroll though hundreds of lines!!!!!)    We find them quieter, friendlier, cheaper than club sites and people generally know how to behave.

BrianandJackie replied on 23/08/2018 09:52

Posted on 23/08/2018 09:52

We are new to motorhome ing , have not used any full campsites, but have enjoyed all the CL’s we’ve stayed on. All different, but all good, we like the small feel.

I have to agree though, the website for searching is atrocious, it really does need some attention.

Takethedogalong replied on 23/08/2018 19:09

Posted on 23/08/2018 19:09

Good for you B & J! Every one is different, always a voyage of discovery. Some lovely people running them as well, we have got to know some folks quite well down the years.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook