Have you tried a CL yet? 2,266 to choose from

CholseyGrange replied on 07/08/2018 20:36

Posted on 07/08/2018 20:36

New to the club?  Did you realise there are 2,266 CL’s across the British Isles?

A CL is a 'Certificated Location.  An independently run site with just 5 pitches. They can cost from as little as £4 (for a very simple site) to over £20.  Most have very simple pricing.

The CL network has around 11,000 pitches available to club members every night in the summer season. Although some are seasonal, many are also open year-round.

If you haven’t given CL’s a try yet, you might be pleasantly surprised. Many members love their rural locations, tranquillity and the fact that they are only sharing a site with 4 other vans.

Find a CL to suit you here

All CL’s will have Chemical Disposal Points (CDP), fresh-water and have insurance. Each one is inspected annually by the Club. Many are on farms in lovely places. They all differ in some way, so it’s worth doing your research to ensure they meet your needs before booking with the owner. It’s well worth reading the reviews for a CL before booking on the CAMC website. An increasing number offer email or online booking.

• 2,129 welcome dogs
  • 1,839 have Electric Hook Up (EHU)
  • 582 have both Toilets and Showers
  • 923 have Hardstandings
  • 319 have WiFi
  • 391 are Adults Only

If you have enjoyed a CL yourself, please leave a review or nominate it for the CL of the Year competition.

Many members say they only join for the CL network. Are you a CL supporter?

DavidKlyne replied on 14/08/2018 10:15

Posted on 14/08/2018 10:15

The last CL I used was in 2007. I have tried to book a couple since then but they were full when I wanted to stay. They were chosen for the closeness to where I needed to be. One thing missing from the list above are the number of CL's near to public transport. As a motorhomer this is an essential requirement for us. Since retirement we don't visit sites or CL's just to sit around, we can do that at home. I won't rule out using a CL in the future but they are rarely my first port of call when looking for somewhere to stay. 

David

EmilysDad replied on 14/08/2018 11:23

Posted on 14/08/2018 10:15 by DavidKlyne

The last CL I used was in 2007. I have tried to book a couple since then but they were full when I wanted to stay. They were chosen for the closeness to where I needed to be. One thing missing from the list above are the number of CL's near to public transport. As a motorhomer this is an essential requirement for us. Since retirement we don't visit sites or CL's just to sit around, we can do that at home. I won't rule out using a CL in the future but they are rarely my first port of call when looking for somewhere to stay. 

David

Posted on 14/08/2018 11:23

Given the nature of a CL ie often a farmer's field, I would expect them to be off the beaten track & therefore miles away from a bus stop.

I'd have though a field would be the perfect place to sit around .... you then have the excuse of being away from those jobs you could be doing laughing

JillwithaJay replied on 14/08/2018 12:32

Posted on 14/08/2018 12:32

I tried one last week for the first time.  Wonderfully clean and tidy with stunning views across the Cheshire countryside. 

Although a CL, there was also another 'section' with around a dozen more pitches on their 'caravan park' so perhaps not what some might expect when booking.

The CL has it's own gated entrance, shower and toilet, and the 'caravan park' is advertised separately, but it's basically all within the same area with only fencing to separate one from the other. 

A different issue but, for two of my four nights, there were actually six vans on the CL until I left on the Sunday morning.

I chose this particular CL to attend a local event and enjoyed my stay but, because I am often on my own, I prefer to be able to chat at the washing up area etc., and be closer (preferably within walking distance) to local shops/attractions which wasn't possible on this CL so I did feel a bit 'isolated'. 

I might try another one if available in a location I want to visit in the future.

Phishing replied on 14/08/2018 19:23

Posted on 14/08/2018 19:23

The answers on this thread show the problem:

"nature of a CL ie often a farmer's field"

"miles away from a bus stop."

People make assumptions and form opinions because there is a lack of easily available information.

If there was a searchable web based system that had a comprehensive list of facilities that were searchable then people would find sites that suit them. An online booking, payment, and availability system would also give more traffic. CLs are are varied and have a vast range of features but this is no good if you cant find out this information.

Then we can get really into the 20th century and monitor the traffic based on search criteria. This shows the club what features are searched for and thus what to promote to the CL owners to maximise their visitor numbers. It also shows occupancy rates based on features and thus allows the club to target me with sites they know I already like by my previous search preferences. 

Also just for a bit more fun you can skim a pound off each booking and use it to reward CLs with high standards thus encouraging investment from the owners improving general quality of CLs.

This is standard business model for service based business.

The situation is this, I am aware of these things but still carry cash, have maps, use cheques, own books, buy magazines, drive to a takeaway, have bank cards, buy from shops, use off line services.

The next generation carry a smartphone, want to buy now, and will not use CC services if they are not on a good app. If you don't write it someone else will.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/08/2018 19:40

Posted on 14/08/2018 10:15 by DavidKlyne

David

Posted on 14/08/2018 19:40

We are on our fourth CL tonight, in ten days away. It's on Hadrian's Wall, scenery to die for, lots to see and do. All grass, in the rain. Somewhat surprisingly, of the five outfits on site, four are Motorhomes. Everyone is touring, using MHs to get about, picnicking in gorgeous spots, hopping about all around the fantastic historic sites and stunning coastline up here in Northumberland. We have seen a good few hired Motorhomes as well.

Up here, I think you could use a big Motorhome and tour around a lot easier. We have had no problems parking up, even in towns like Berwick or Alnwick. We have averaged £12.50 per night, and that includes using a Club Site (Nunnykirk) for three nights. Places of interest, such as Alnwick Castle, Bamburgh, EH and NT properties have huge car parks, often with dedicated parking for MHs. Seen lots of big MHs around and about, doing same as us. smile

ADD46 replied on 15/08/2018 10:39

Posted on 15/08/2018 10:39

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread. Anything highlighting our wonderful CL network is great news and will bring it to the attention of new members. My thanks also goes to all CL owners who open their gardens/farms for us to share and enjoy. Many are in lovely locations which we would never see if it wasn't for the owners. They are very much appreciated. Thank you. 

richardandros replied on 15/08/2018 15:04

Posted on 15/08/2018 15:04

Totally agree with everything you say ADD.  I regard it to be a great privilege to be able to share in all those wonderful locations, in what is essentially, someone's home - be it a 'back garden' or a farm.  We have always been made so welcome on every CL (and CS) we have visited and have always enjoyed a relaxed atmosphere, where common sense and consideration for each other prevail over a myriad of rules and regulations.   If these sites were to disappear (and contrary to an earlier comment, I don't think they will) - I doubt I would continue my membership of either Club.

eurortraveller replied on 15/08/2018 19:55

Posted on 15/08/2018 19:55

But you are a caravanner with a car for transport -  ask the motorhomers what they think to grass fields in remote rural locations with no bus routes within miles.

moulesy replied on 15/08/2018 20:03

Posted on 15/08/2018 19:55 by eurortraveller

But you are a caravanner with a car for transport -  ask the motorhomers what they think to grass fields in remote rural locations with no bus routes within miles.

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:03

Well they should have thought of that before rushing out to buy something not "suitable" for the CL network then! tongue-out

(No, really, that wasn't serious ....)

....but we were staying on a CL just outside Builth Wells earlier this year with a lovely couple next to us in a MH, which didn't move the whole time we were there - they were quite happy to book a taxi into town which, by the time you knock of the parking charges they reckoned was a bargain. In fact there has been at least one MH on every CL we've stayed on this year and some of them have been pretty "remote" 

It just need a little planning.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2018 20:27

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:27

I suppose people have different priorities when choosing a MH. Some prefer a big outfit with fixed beds, big bathroom, lots of storage for essentials. And nothing wrong with that if it's your choice and you don't mind parking up on a site and perhaps not moving for days. But, coming from a camper van background, it seems a strange concept to us, to have a touring outfit, but not actually pootling around our lovely countryside, getting out into some of the loveliest spots, using it as a mobile cafe/picnic spot, somewhere to have a shower/ get dry after a beach swim, or doing some bird spotting in comfort and dry if it is raining, etc...... 

I'm not criticising anyone's choice of how they tour, but just puzzled at parking it up rather than actually using it to visit lots of lovely places. We have gone out and about in ours, everyday bar one this last ten days, down on beachside, up into forests to do a walk, to a nature reserve watching wildlife and birds, into Alnwick and Berwick sightseeing and shopping, we drove all through the North Pennines AONB and into Alston and Barnard Castle today, stunning scenery. We saw lots of others in much larger outfits than ours doing same as well. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook