Garmin sat nav

trydan replied on 31/08/2016 10:24

Posted on 31/08/2016 10:24

hi,just bought a garmin camper sat nav,not sure when it says add length of vehicle if it means total length of car and caravan or just car length,sorry if this sounds silly but not sure ,thanks

DavidKlyne replied on 31/08/2016 12:22

Posted on 31/08/2016 12:22

I would have thought that in the context of a sat nav it would be the unit overall length. If it were just the car length there would be no advanatage of having the Camper version over the standard one?

David

Pippah45 replied on 31/08/2016 18:20

Posted on 31/08/2016 18:20

Trydan, just carry on following the book for the approach to Club sites it isn't up to following the correct route and got me in a bit of a pickle at St David's but it is very useful!  I also got a bit alarmed going to Plymouth Sound when it told,me the road wasn't suitable!  I was on the correct road but it was a little disconcerting!  That site is notorious for a dodgy approach but worth it when you get there!   

JVB66 replied on 31/08/2016 18:50

Posted on 31/08/2016 18:50

We have also got the Garmin Camper sat nav and it nearly foxed me then i thought of course it needs the full length and full weight of unit to work out a suitable route,It still is not 100%,i got a bit worried on one route ,but then a bus came the other way ,and he pulled in to let us passSurprised  

replied on 31/08/2016 19:23

Posted on 31/08/2016 19:23

If you go into settings, you should see the section for vehicle profile, tap on there and then on outfit, then the spanner you can change the dimensions there. On the task bar at the top when out of settings it will show either a car or the outfit, just tap the icon and you can change from one to the other. I hope that helps.

Pippah45 replied on 01/09/2016 09:30

Posted on 01/09/2016 09:30

It definitely differentiates between car and caravan mode so with just the car you can follow it happily.  I am however far more cautious now with the caravan in tow.  One really weird thing with mine is the start off route from home with caravan it tries to take me a long way round to the main road via a single track road  without passing places.That makes no sense at all because the shorter route is a much wider road.  As I said please do check and follow the advised route to CC sites.  A human being programmed these things Undecided

JVB66 replied on 01/09/2016 09:48

Posted on 01/09/2016 09:48

It definitely differentiates between car and caravan mode so with just the car you can follow it happily.  I am however far more cautious now with the caravan in tow.  One really weird thing with mine is the start off route from home with caravan it tries to take me a long way round to the main road via a single track road  without passing places.That makes no sense at all because the shorter route is a much wider road.  As I said please do check and follow the advised route to CC sites.  A human being programmed these things Undecided

..If i change the "voice" to the Male it tends not to take me down little lanes WinkCool

KENNYG replied on 02/09/2016 13:43

Posted on 02/09/2016 13:43

So far I have failed to find the male voice!Cool

Go to settings on your garmin press setting's, scroll to language and keyboard press, scroll to voice language press, scroll to top of page, you have british English James, Kate, and Serena hope this helps you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook