New to the Club, from New Zealand

Tijger replied on 25/01/2017 19:24

Posted on 25/01/2017 19:24

Hello and thank you for allowing us to join the club. My husband and I live in New Zealand, and are newly retired. We own a motorhome in New Zealand, and are hiring a 6m motorhome in the UK for 2 months, April to June this year.

We would love any help, tips, advice that anyone can give us, as we realise it will be different touring in your country. Just planning our itinerary now, starting in Brighton, then touring Cornwall. We will include a little Wales and Scotland in the trip, but not take the ferry to Ireland- will save than for another trip!

Cheers.

Bakers2 replied on 25/01/2017 19:34

Posted on 25/01/2017 19:34

Hello and welcome to CT. Our daughter and family live in NZ and we love visiting.  We've hired motorhome over there a few times and live to explore. 

Have you visited the UK before? What are your interests? That'll give us all some pointers so we can share tips with you 😉. You'll find the SE of England is heavily populated,  especially by your standards - think Auckland plus 😂😂.  Do you intend to just do the UK or a trip across the channel? The UK will keep you well entertained and with more than enough to explore 2 months isn't very long 😉

Edit I've reread your post so you probably won't pop over the channel but best to ask 😶

ChrisRogers replied on 25/01/2017 20:30

Posted on 25/01/2017 20:30

Hi

Do not forget to spend time in the best part of the UK, Yorkshire. You must see the Yorkshire Dales, Wolds and moors

Tinwheeler replied on 25/01/2017 20:37

Posted on 25/01/2017 20:37

Hi, Tijger, and welcome. 

Be aware, if you aren't already, that many of the lanes in Cornwall are narrow with high hedges often containing rocks. The more major roads are fine. A 6m motorhome shouldn't give you trouble for parkIng or manoeuvring. Ours is 6.4m and we manage well. Ask away if you have any questions.

N1805 replied on 25/01/2017 20:52

Posted on 25/01/2017 20:52

Also bear in mind many sites get busy during Easter school holidays especially Cornwall – it’s middle of April for a couple weeks I think.  Enjoy your planning. & your touring.

Wherenext replied on 25/01/2017 21:36

Posted on 25/01/2017 21:36

Not sure how busy it becomes in NZ but club sites over here do become quite full over Easter and the 2 bank holidays that we have , one on the 1st Monday in May and the other on the last Monday. These weekends and Easter need careful planning and its usually best to book your site (payable on arrival at the site) well in advance. 

Suggest you have a look at the various areas that you hope to visit in depth just to see how free those sites are. You can check on the website about days that are vacant but please be aware that the club has recently "upgraded" its website and there have been teething problems.

When and if you want more specific information then ask away and you'll find most people on here willing to help.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit.

ABM replied on 25/01/2017 21:47

Posted on 25/01/2017 21:47

Hi  &  welcome  to  the  Club  in  general  &  C T in

particular

Much  general  information  can  be  found  by  trawling 

thro  the  different  sections  of  C T   but  specific 

questions  will  gain  responses  if  the  "Experts"

( ha ha)  are  around  to  answer  them.  As  you  might  have

gathered  there  are  some  of  us  on  here  likely to

throw  in  a  touch  of  humour  if  I  may  call  it  that.

One  regular  visitor  to  these  Old  Islands  comes  from 

the  other  place  --  he's  knicknamed  Aussie  Bob  for

some  reason,  but  he  comes  here  regularly  &  covers

areas  of  GB  &  Europe

If  he  reads  these  posts  he  just  might  come  on  &

respond  for  you  !!

Brian  A B M

Bakers2 replied on 25/01/2017 21:50

Posted on 25/01/2017 21:50

Very good point Wherenext - when I telephoned to book sites in NZ I was always assured it wouldn't be an issue there were plenty of pitches.  Eventually I got the message and didn't phone ahead, but I was always mightily relieved once we had the pitch, there were often lots of empty ones.  UK training and insecurities will out wink

PS how's the tooth space?

mickysf replied on 25/01/2017 22:04

Posted on 25/01/2017 20:30 by ChrisRogers

Hi

Do not forget to spend time in the best part of the UK, Yorkshire. You must see the Yorkshire Dales, Wolds and moors

Posted on 25/01/2017 22:04

And don't forget the Yorkshire coast, from Spurn Point to the white cliffs of Flamborough and Bempton then up to the fishing villages in those beautiful coves of Staithes, Robinhoods Bay and, of course, Whitby.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 26/01/2017 06:56

Posted on 25/01/2017 22:04 by mickysf

And don't forget the Yorkshire coast, from Spurn Point to the white cliffs of Flamborough and Bempton then up to the fishing villages in those beautiful coves of Staithes, Robinhoods Bay and, of course, Whitby.

Posted on 26/01/2017 06:56

Bempton in the Spring will have the 'Seabird City' spectacular to witness. A renown Puffin colony, RSPB site, with Rangers on hand & a place for food. Every year I spend hours there, plenty of parking due to the recent expansion. Welcome to the CCsmile

Tijger replied on 26/01/2017 08:58

Posted on 26/01/2017 08:58

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I have been to the UK several timea, my husband only once. I have stayed mostly in the cities, and used trains to travel. 

We have friends up at Morecambe Bay so will definately get up to the lake district, also to the borders and possibly into Scotland..

Our interests involve sightseeing, walking, but hiking, some castles, museums etc, lovely gardens and historic houses, enjoying country pubs, good food. We will avoid the cities, but York and Bath are definitely on the list.

Here in NZ there are a lot of places a motorhome can stay overnight, such as RSA clubs, some supermarket carparks etc. Anything like that in England? Also over here there are places to empty toilet waste at some petrol stations, and other places, is there anything like that in England.

Also, are we ok in Cornwall if we stay on the main roads?

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming!

So all the ideas

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook