Introducing a novice

ScreenNameCB6D0EB455 replied on 26/07/2017 19:46

Posted on 26/07/2017 19:46

Greetings to  you all

My name is Judith - screen name Sr Julian as that is my alter ego.  I am due to collect my very first motorhome on Saturday 29 July and am looking forward to the freedom it will offer to me and my 2 boys (dogs) Henry and Arthur.

I was widowed 5 years ago and am feeling ready to spread my wings a bit and have adventures.

My home is in beautiful North Wales with a view of the Menai Straits from my window.  Any thoughts on where to go for my first venture (not too far from home) would be welcome.

I lhope to get to know members through this forum.

huskydog replied on 26/07/2017 19:53

Posted on 26/07/2017 19:53

Welcome to CT , any questions just ask away ,your get good answers,bad answers and indifferent answers ,but it's all part of the fun laughing

Tinwheeler replied on 26/07/2017 20:06

Posted on 26/07/2017 20:06

Hello and welcome to CT.

Perhaps a visit to Lady Margaret's Park at Chirk, or the Chester site, might make for a first trip to let you find your feet without straying too far from home.

Have you found your way to the Solos section further down the forum's front page? There are several members posting there who are in similar situations to yourself.

Enjoy your motorhome.

cyberyacht replied on 27/07/2017 06:38

Posted on 27/07/2017 06:38

There are a couple of club sites on Anglesey, one a basic site without a toilet block and the other a standard site with the normal shower/toilet block. Not too far to drive for a first trip.

EmilysDad replied on 27/07/2017 07:07

Posted on 27/07/2017 07:07

Hi

I also suggest Lady Margaret's at Chirk. A nice site within walking distance of Chirk itself & the aquaduct.

Pippah45 replied on 27/07/2017 09:29

Posted on 27/07/2017 09:29

Hello Judith welcome to CT.  I also camp alone with my two "girls" - I have also discovered the several groups of Solo people that I found by browsing the CT forums.  My experience is limited in your area although Bedgelert stands out in my memory - but it is a C&CC  forestry site - very dog friendly as long as the whistle of the trains doesn't upset them.  My rescued dog was petrified the first time she heard it - we were parked about 3 foot from the railway line!  So that must mean it was about 10 years ago when she was new to me!  She soon got used to it which is just as well as I love steam trains!  I don't think anyone was watching my efforts to help her - I was jumping up and down in the caravan going "WHooo Whooo" like an excited 2 year old everytime a train came by! 

Enjoy! 

Bakers2 replied on 27/07/2017 09:57

Posted on 27/07/2017 09:57

Hello and welcome to our hobby and CT. Staying local for the first outing is sensible, you can whizz home for anything forgotten 😉. Don't buy anything until you know you need it and will use it, we all have stuff we thought we couldn't manage without!

We're a helpful bunch with loads of knowledge, combined and singular. But you will learn there is no right or wrong way to proceed with almost everything to do with our hobby 🙄.  Read and learn, watch and learn 😆. If you need help on site do ask, it can be awkward for those watching you struggle too as they may not want to seem to be nosy or interfering- were British you know 😂.

As some have suggested there are others like yourself who travel alone so do check out their groups.

Finally enjoy yourself.

black caviar replied on 28/07/2017 22:10

Posted on 28/07/2017 22:10

Hello judith enjoy your handover day tomorrow what motorhome did you buy ,? Im sure youll have a lovely time best regards mrs bc:))

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook