First caravan

Robsimmo replied on 23/08/2017 02:42

Posted on 23/08/2017 02:42

Hello, I'm thinking about buying my first caravan, being new to it all, I wonder if anyone could give me some advice, I've never towed before and I'm wondering if getting a small van would be better to start off with, but I do want a four birth, does it matter about size when towing, many thanks Rob

Pippah45 replied on 23/08/2017 15:23

Posted on 23/08/2017 15:23

Hi. Just about the most important thing is to match the tow car with the caravan so that's a good place to start.  Taking a towing course is sensible and you can find help in the club's matching service between car and caravan. 

Tinwheeler replied on 23/08/2017 16:27

Posted on 23/08/2017 16:27

Hi, Rob. Check out the Advice and Training tab near the top of the page for info on matching car and van and driving licence requirements amongst other things.

Make sure you are safe and legal.

brue replied on 23/08/2017 16:37

Posted on 23/08/2017 16:37

Here's a link to the tow car matching service although it's always best to double check.

See here

Good luck with your search, lots of help on here from new and experienced caravanners. Welcome to the world of vanning. smile

cyberyacht replied on 23/08/2017 21:25

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:25

Don't be dazzled by the bling of big vans. You can still get a four berth without it being massive. Back in the eighties my first caravan was a 4 berth on a 4 metre body. Realistically though, these days you probably want one around 4.7 - 5 metres as a minimum. I could sell you mine in a couple of weeks time. wink

Bakers2 replied on 23/08/2017 21:39

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:25 by cyberyacht

Don't be dazzled by the bling of big vans. You can still get a four berth without it being massive. Back in the eighties my first caravan was a 4 berth on a 4 metre body. Realistically though, these days you probably want one around 4.7 - 5 metres as a minimum. I could sell you mine in a couple of weeks time. wink

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:39

Oh exciting cyberyacht does that mean you've found a motorhome that takes your fancy??

Sorry that's off topic Robsimmo which is naughty on your first post.

Welcome to our great hobby and CT. There's lots of good advice on here so ask away. 

Certainly agree with cyberyacht don't be seduced it's very easy to be 😉

RowenaBCAMC replied on 24/08/2017 11:18

Posted on 24/08/2017 11:18

A warm welcome to Club Together Rob and please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have lots of members on the forum who are more than happy to share their advice and experience. 

We also have a section on the website Advice for Beginners which contains lots of useful information. As mentioned previously on this discussion, check your driving license as this may affect what you can tow. If you passed your car driving test (Category B Licence) on or after 1st January 1997 you need to ensure the combined Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the combination is not over 3,500kg. That’s the combination of the maximum weight of the car and the maximum weight of the caravan. You also need to make sure that whatever caravan you choose is suitable for your car to tow – we recommend that the towcar should be significantly heavier than the caravan, especially for newcomers to towing. A good guideline is for the fully loaded weight of the caravan to be no more than 85-90% of the unladen (kerbweight) of the car. There are lots of cars and caravans that will be suitable within these limits, but just make sure you check these issues before you commit to buying. This can all sometimes seem a bit complicated when you’re just starting out, but it really doesn’t need to be. The Club has a fantastic member service Technical Team who are happy to offer further advice on this or other issues around the practical aspects of caravanning. Get in touch via technical@camc.com or give them a call on 01342 326611 (9-5:30, weekdays).

You may also be interested in the caravanning courses the Club offers. The Practical caravanning course is ideal for first-time caravanners. 

Wishing you all the best getting started and let us know how you get on. smile

C Williams replied on 25/08/2017 10:26

Posted on 25/08/2017 10:26

Welcome Rob. You have lots of lovely adventures ahead of you. Both my husband and I did a towing course with the Club and found it gave us great information and a lot of confidence. We still get discount on insurance because of it. We also found a visit to the Caravan and Motorhome show was a huge help in choosing a van. And we were able to pop over to the c&m stand and get expert advice on suitability of various towing cars. Ended up towing with an automatic, which we wouldn't otherwise have considered. Next show is at the NEC in October (and you can get a discount on tickets in the Club magazine, if you decide to join ;-)).

Merve replied on 25/08/2017 17:33

Posted on 25/08/2017 17:33

Nothing else to say Rob - the members have said it all. The one thing I would add is 'take your time' it's so easy to get flustered because you think the guy behind is itching to get past- he probably is but let him wait- better that than you get into a situation that could possibly put you off this great past of ours. It isn't difficult to tow a 'van. You just need to realise it's there and drive accordingly- if you do take a towing course as others have suggested, and it's excellent advice, you'll learn so much before you get out on that open road. Everything, when towing is slower and more exaggerated. Cornering wider, increasing distances so braking is allowed for, - that sort of thing. I am still a little agitated for the first minute or two of a tow but then I settle down and just do it! You'll be OK. Welcome to CT. So many good times ahead for you. Come to the forum and ask anything- I can assure you that there is someone on hand to answer anything you ask- they are a great bunch and very very knowledgeable and helpful. One other thing . CW mentions the show. That is fantastic advice and somewhere you can really get some knowledge  It's an amazing event and for the first timer it can be bewildering. I can never do it in a day- I always book two days. Be prepared to do some walking though and ask as many questions as you want. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook