'Your Stories' needs editorial control

chasncath replied on 16/05/2016 18:42

Posted on 16/05/2016 18:42

The 'Your Stories' section attracts some interesting, informative and amuusing tales: it also attracts misplaced reviews and complaints. Unfortunately, it's also vulnerable to unedited 'copy and paste' stories from contributors own sites. Again in a new story, a contributor uses the word s**t and its derivatives - it's a common feature of his past stories - and no one seems to notice or complain. Again, he has used a vile expression which we have to assume he thinks is smart or funny. A moderator expunged it from a previous 'story'

A case could be made for contributions to be submitted for publication before posting - that would be a bit tedious, and who would do it?

Have a look for the offending phrase. is it suitable for use in this forum?

I've complained to the Community Manager, but I guess he's busy right now plugging holes and mending fuses!

JillwithaJay replied on 16/05/2016 18:46

Posted on 16/05/2016 18:46

Hi Chasncath, 

Without even looking I know exactly who you're talking about and I have, in the past, edited 'stories' from this contributor.

I'll go and check and remove any offensive language.

Many thanks for highlighting this issue.

photo 78301b06-7bdd-45fe-8ae2-d4d2cae14135_zpssi5htrez.jpg

scarletsfan replied on 16/05/2016 20:45

Posted on 16/05/2016 20:45

Still stalking me Chas n Cath?

You don't like my writing style so why click to open them. You find my stories too long winded and boring, but read the full story to pick out  the phrase "ape s@@t".

DavidKlyne replied on 16/05/2016 21:42

Posted on 16/05/2016 21:42

Chas

I have long argued for stories should be vetted before submission, or at the very least to have the ability to move stories to the discussion area but I suspect the Club see that as imposing too much work on their own staff when in reality the mods are perfectly capable of doing the job but the system does not really allow for that to happen. Its not as though there are so many stories submitted that it would cause a massive amount of work. I have also spent a lot of time editing out unacceptable phrasing from a certain poster and have reported such stories in the past but I am not sure anyone is listening?

David

young thomas replied on 24/05/2016 17:35

Posted on 24/05/2016 17:35

i womder if the reason 'items' are placed there rather than as a discussion, is that they attract more 'star points' as a new story , don't they?

DavidKlyne replied on 24/05/2016 18:26

Posted on 24/05/2016 18:26

i womder if the reason 'items' are placed there rather than as a discussion, is that they attract more 'star points' as a new story , don't they?

BB

Just doesn't add up I am afraid. As an example 'The Meeks' the most prolific story section contributors with  247 stories to their credit only have four red stars. BTW have we seen any stories of your trips as you seem to get around a bit? Could be a useful source of information for others.

David

young thomas replied on 24/05/2016 20:38

Posted on 24/05/2016 20:38

start a discussion 15 points, post a story 50 pointsHappy

i rarely start discussion and i dont 'do' stories, if someone asks a question that i can can help with, ill gladly respond. Happy

chasncath replied on 25/05/2016 00:19

Posted on 25/05/2016 00:19

There's a case for 'Stories' to be submitted for publication, as they would for a newspaper or magazine. There's also a case to be made that submissions should be unique and exclusive to CT to avoid syndication or 'copy and dump' from those promoting their own websites. Editors could also remove obscentities, delete vile phrases, and correct errors.

Unfortunately, we'll not be contributing any stories this summer as Catherine, previously thought to have pneumonia, has contracted Cryptogenic Organising Pneumonitis ( COP) and we're grounded until further notice.

Bakers2 replied on 25/05/2016 07:54

Posted on 25/05/2016 07:54

There's a case for 'Stories' to be submitted for publication, as they would for a newspaper or magazine. There's also a case to be made that submissions should be unique and exclusive to CT to avoid syndication or 'copy and dump' from those promoting their own websites. Editors could also remove obscentities, delete vile phrases, and correct errors.

Unfortunately, we'll not be contributing any stories this summer as Catherine, previously thought to have pneumonia, has contracted Cryptogenic Organising Pneumonitis ( COP) and we're grounded until further notice.

So sorry to hear that news. I'll miss reading your stories, but not as much as you'll miss your travelling. Hopefully you'll be able to get out and about in this country if not further afield, there's plenty of portable equipment available I believe. Thinking of you both. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook