Tyre issue - Red Pennant

Surfer replied on 03/07/2017 15:01

Posted on 03/07/2017 15:01

Recently while in France we were unfortunate enough to have a puncture on the front offside wheel of our twin axle caravan.  TBH the tyre was slashed.  Red Pennant arranged for the fitter to come and change the wheels and put the spare on.  The spare is a steel wheel.  The caravan has Ovation tyres as standard all round.

However the only other tyre available was a Michelin of the same size and rating  and this was fitted onto the alloy which then became the spare as we could not call out the technician again to swap over the wheels as we were leaving the next day. 

We were then stuck with the steel spare on the caravan as it is my understanding that tyres on the same axle should be identical same brand, size etc.  On our return to England I contacted Red Pennant again to arrange for the wheels to be changed over however they told us as we had returned, it was no longer their responsibility.

As we had no fault with the caravan I had to arrange for a fitter to change the wheels over at a cost of £35 so that all four alloys were road wheels and on the the caravan.  Later RP came back to us and said that they would arrange the swap as a Gesture of Goodwill.  Although it was appreciated, it was too late as we had already had the job done and paid the fitter.

We pay for Green Flag and have paid an annual premium for RP cover.  We feel that the wheel should have been changed anyway by RP as it was still part of the original repair even though we had returned back to England so we are out of pocket. We are still happy with the service from RP even though we had this slight glitch. 

Physically I am unable to change the wheel myself and in addition, I do not have a torque wrench.  BTW neither did the French tyre fitter have a torque wrench.

Perhaps someone in admin would care to comment.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Caravan and Motorhome Chat as more likely to be seen by Admin here

Wildwood replied on 03/07/2017 15:07

Posted on 03/07/2017 15:07

A bit of a mess but I see the problem. Red Pennant are usually very good and it looks as if you got a newcomer or someone too inflexible which is why you got the refusal. They do seem to have backtracked, so presumably they have realised the initial reaction was wrong.

All services get things wrong, and it is only what happens after that which sorts out the better ones, which you have with RP.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/07/2017 16:47

Posted on 03/07/2017 16:47

Surfer

I have moved you post here as it's possible that admin more likely to see it here.

Just a question for you. Did you mention  to Red Pennant whilst you were in France that you would need the wheel changed back once you were home? That would have at least given them the opportunity to get the tyre fitter back out to you in France or to make arrangements when you got home. I suspect that trying to do it retrospectively once you were home was the reason for the initial response which when reflected on was the reason for the later offer. Perhaps Red Pennant would be willing to refund the fitting costs you had in the UK?

David

Milothedog replied on 03/07/2017 17:02

Posted on 03/07/2017 17:02

Tyres don't have to be the same make on the same axle just the same size and rating/construction to be legal.

The fact that they sorted you out and got you moving again and with a spare wheel, albeit the original alloy. Then to my mind they have done what you paid for.? 

I also appreciate you don't have a torque wrench and to be honest a cheap DIY one is not to be trusted for accuracy anyway. But a bit of common sense and the caravan's wheel brace will do the job. Do you check the wheel bolts occasionally our just leave to the dealer to once a year?   

replied on 03/07/2017 18:38

Posted on 03/07/2017 18:38

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Surfer replied on 04/07/2017 07:51

Posted on 03/07/2017 16:47 by DavidKlyne

Surfer

I have moved you post here as it's possible that admin more likely to see it here.

Just a question for you. Did you mention  to Red Pennant whilst you were in France that you would need the wheel changed back once you were home? That would have at least given them the opportunity to get the tyre fitter back out to you in France or to make arrangements when you got home. I suspect that trying to do it retrospectively once you were home was the reason for the initial response which when reflected on was the reason for the later offer. Perhaps Red Pennant would be willing to refund the fitting costs you had in the UK?

David

Posted on 04/07/2017 07:51

David, As we were leaving the next day for another site, it could not be done then.  It was suggested that it could be done at the next site however the concern was odd tyres on the same axles as no one can state categorically that the same brand and size are mandatory or as long as it is the same structure but different brands they are allowed. 

I am unsure whether it was suggested that we wait until our return to England to arrange the swap, but if the call was recorded that would help.  I have no issue with the excellent service provided by RP.

Surfer replied on 04/07/2017 07:55

Posted on 03/07/2017 17:02 by Milothedog

Tyres don't have to be the same make on the same axle just the same size and rating/construction to be legal.

The fact that they sorted you out and got you moving again and with a spare wheel, albeit the original alloy. Then to my mind they have done what you paid for.? 

I also appreciate you don't have a torque wrench and to be honest a cheap DIY one is not to be trusted for accuracy anyway. But a bit of common sense and the caravan's wheel brace will do the job. Do you check the wheel bolts occasionally our just leave to the dealer to once a year?   

Posted on 04/07/2017 07:55

I still need to get someone to do the job for me as I do not have the capabilities to do the job myself.  In addition, is the job complete when you are driving around with the spare steel wheel on the caravan?  What if I did not have a spare?  The OP is a query for answers.

Milothedog replied on 04/07/2017 08:30

Posted on 04/07/2017 08:30

"is the job complete when you are driving around with the spare steel wheel on the caravan?"

Yes, Caravan spare wheels are full size (not space savers) so as good as / equivalent to the alloy. Just not as nice to look at smile

I understand you need to get someone to help you. But putting it back isn't part of what they do after they have left the job. If you were out solo in your car and had a puncture and were you to call the AA or similar then that's what they would do, just change the wheel and get you on the move again. Your original gets refitted as part of the job at the tyre fitters when they either repair or replace the damaged one which is down to you ?

Surfer replied on 04/07/2017 09:26

Posted on 04/07/2017 08:30 by Milothedog

"is the job complete when you are driving around with the spare steel wheel on the caravan?"

Yes, Caravan spare wheels are full size (not space savers) so as good as / equivalent to the alloy. Just not as nice to look at smile

I understand you need to get someone to help you. But putting it back isn't part of what they do after they have left the job. If you were out solo in your car and had a puncture and were you to call the AA or similar then that's what they would do, just change the wheel and get you on the move again. Your original gets refitted as part of the job at the tyre fitters when they either repair or replace the damaged one which is down to you ?

Posted on 04/07/2017 09:26

I think you are missing the point.  I can drive a vehicle to a tyre depot and get the wheels changed.  With a caravan you need to call out someone hence the extra cost plus having insurance.  Again the question of what would happen if the caravan did not have a spare as that would be two trips for the fitter anyway? 

In addition, the alloy spare now has a Michelin tyre fitted so different brands on the same axle is supposed to be illegal in France.  No one seems to be able to give a conclusive answer backed up by an answer from the French authorities.

Input from admin would be welcome.

Milothedog replied on 04/07/2017 12:02

Posted on 04/07/2017 12:02

I don't think I missing the point? as I understand it you are paying for and they provide an emergency breakdown repair/recovery service.

Not a mobile caravan repair and service, service?

Just the way I see it but you have other expectations ?

Either way Happy caravaning smile

Surfer replied on 04/07/2017 12:33

Posted on 04/07/2017 12:02 by Milothedog

I don't think I missing the point? as I understand it you are paying for and they provide an emergency breakdown repair/recovery service.

Not a mobile caravan repair and service, service?

Just the way I see it but you have other expectations ?

Either way Happy caravaning smile

Posted on 04/07/2017 12:33

Why do you think changing a wheel is a repair?  Surely the service is not complete until the caravan is back to its original condition? 

Once the fitter had removed the wheel maybe it would have been better for us to have taken the wheel to the tyre depot, got it fixed, returned with the wheel and then called for the fitter again to fit the wheel onto the caravan?

Either way it is a pity that admin do not check on the forum and update us regarding different brands with the same structure on the same axle in France.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook