Loss of Value

Ruby2Doris replied on 22/08/2022 18:27

Posted on 22/08/2022 18:27

So back in Feb 2020 we purchased a brand new Elddis 554. Since then we have been battling with the dealer, the manufacturer and the bodyshop to get it in for repair, due to severe damp issues throughout most of the vehicle, upto 70% in some places.

We have been assured by the manufacturer that once repaired then no one will be able to see the severity of the damp repair via records however I know this is untrue. Any Elddis agent can log on and see all warranty repairs and history via their system and the vehicle chassis number. Also if we come to sell and the buyer asks if it has any damp issues in the past them we cant lie and will have to declare the problems. 

I need to establish what the loss of value to the van will be, has anyone ever had experience of this problem before and what was their outcome, how did they deal with it. We had to get a solicitor involved just to get it in for repair but that cost a fortune and really want try and avoid further legal costs. 

Cheers 

Matt and Michelle

ScreenNameADF2063F76 replied on 03/10/2022 20:02

Posted on 03/10/2022 20:02

I  had purchased a twin wheel caravan where the braking system despite several trips to the dealer could not be resolved. I ended up in France with the caravan stuck fast when the brakes again siezed on. Thanks to Mayday recovery it was repatriated to the dealership. On legal advice I told the dealer that I was intending to sue for Recision of Goods. It was too late to reject the caravan but I could take them to court to recover the difference in value between what the caravan should be worth and what the caravan in that state actually was worth.

The dealer probably realised that the difference would be large and instead offered to swap it for a new van.

This was in the 1990s but maybe it is an avenue for you to explore. Good Luck.

hitchglitch replied on 04/10/2022 16:24

Posted on 04/10/2022 16:24

Based on my experience, if you trade it in to a dealer they will not be concerned about previous history and will sell it on, probably with a limited warranty. If the damp warranty is transferable then that would give peace of mind to a private buyer. 

We had a Bailey which had severe damp problems. After the second time that it was sent back to the manufacturer we traded it in. We learned that after the dealer sold it on there were further extensive damp problems, considerably in excess of the limited warranty.

I would try and trade it in.

handsj replied on 06/10/2022 10:49

Posted on 06/10/2022 10:49

So sad to hear this is still going on with Elddis.

We bought a 2016 Affinity 550 as a special retirement gift to ourselves, ordered at the 2015 Show. It was supposed to be a special treat.

That caravan ruined our lives in our two years of ownership until we traded it in for a Knaus. It is disgraceful that they are still treating their customers with contempt, by producing shoddy products. We're so pleased with our Knaus, the build quality is in a different league.

My advice to you is to trade it in as soon as you can, as it's just not worth the mental anguish.  I wish you the best of luck.

handsj replied on 11/10/2022 15:51

Posted on 22/08/2022 18:27 by Ruby2Doris

So back in Feb 2020 we purchased a brand new Elddis 554. Since then we have been battling with the dealer, the manufacturer and the bodyshop to get it in for repair, due to severe damp issues throughout most of the vehicle, upto 70% in some places.

We have been assured by the manufacturer that once repaired then no one will be able to see the severity of the damp repair via records however I know this is untrue. Any Elddis agent can log on and see all warranty repairs and history via their system and the vehicle chassis number. Also if we come to sell and the buyer asks if it has any damp issues in the past them we cant lie and will have to declare the problems. 

I need to establish what the loss of value to the van will be, has anyone ever had experience of this problem before and what was their outcome, how did they deal with it. We had to get a solicitor involved just to get it in for repair but that cost a fortune and really want try and avoid further legal costs. 

Cheers 

Matt and Michelle

Posted on 11/10/2022 15:51

Any updates Matt and Michelle? Hope you've been able to make progress with your issue with Elddis.

Cheers,   Steve and Helen 

Vincevan replied on 02/11/2022 17:31

Posted on 02/11/2022 17:31

HI 

Anyone had any problems with damp in Auto Trail Imalas?  We are having trouble getting our van, purchased new at the end of December 2018, repaired under warranty.  Have been waiting for some positive action on the part of Auto Trail for nearly a year!

Tinwheeler replied on 02/11/2022 17:41

Posted on 02/11/2022 17:31 by Vincevan

HI 

Anyone had any problems with damp in Auto Trail Imalas?  We are having trouble getting our van, purchased new at the end of December 2018, repaired under warranty.  Have been waiting for some positive action on the part of Auto Trail for nearly a year!

Posted on 02/11/2022 17:41

You might be better off starting a thread in the motorhome section with a relevant title as your post is buried in a caravan thread and probably won’t attract attention.

However, you need to pursue the dealer who sold you the MH as it is their responsibility to sort it out, not AutoTrail's. Follow the legal process if necessary and have a word with the club's legal team for advice.

Vincevan replied on 03/11/2022 15:46

Posted on 03/11/2022 15:46

Thanks for your advice Tinwheeler. 

We have also spoken to both the legal team and Trading Standards and they have said that as the dealer has gone out of business we have to go directly to Auto Trail as the warranty provider under the warranty contract.

I will post up as a new discussion as you suggest.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/11/2022 15:54

Posted on 03/11/2022 15:46 by Vincevan

Thanks for your advice Tinwheeler. 

We have also spoken to both the legal team and Trading Standards and they have said that as the dealer has gone out of business we have to go directly to Auto Trail as the warranty provider under the warranty contract.

I will post up as a new discussion as you suggest.

Posted on 03/11/2022 15:54

It will be worth including that gem of info about the dealer and your actions so far or others will post the same response as I did.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook