Getting too close

kalamitty55 replied on 02/08/2018 20:39

Posted on 02/08/2018 20:39

we have just been on a cl near Derbyshire, and had just finished, setting up.  all the hookup points had a pitch number on them and there was plenty of room on the field,  when a van came onto the cl stopped looked around and then parked right behind mine a gap of 10ft. the other people on site couldn't believe what they were seeing, I did complain to the owners of the cl but there attitude is if theres room people can site where they want. I was never asked to show membership card so it seems they are letting any one on,  so whats the point of paying for club membership.?

JillwithaJay replied on 07/08/2018 14:59

Posted on 07/08/2018 14:59

This isn't something we can help you with on here. If you feel that the CL owners are breaking the rules then leave a review and/or contact the club's head office to make a compaint.

wildemere replied on 07/08/2018 15:13

Posted on 02/08/2018 20:39 by kalamitty55

we have just been on a cl near Derbyshire, and had just finished, setting up.  all the hookup points had a pitch number on them and there was plenty of room on the field,  when a van came onto the cl stopped looked around and then parked right behind mine a gap of 10ft. the other people on site couldn't believe what they were seeing, I did complain to the owners of the cl but there attitude is if theres room people can site where they want. I was never asked to show membership card so it seems they are letting any one on,  so whats the point of paying for club membership.?

Posted on 07/08/2018 15:13

Re membership card. I have never asked for one at our CL as all it will tell me is the name on the card, yes there is a number on it I can check but that could be anyone.  Re space we do not have market pitches we do ask new arrivals to respect others privacy.   

JVB66 replied on 07/08/2018 15:16

Posted on 07/08/2018 15:16

You can advise the owners of the Cl that you are contacting the local council regards lack of sufficient fire breaks as it would be them who would be liable

JVB66 replied on 07/08/2018 15:21

Posted on 07/08/2018 15:13 by wildemere

Re membership card. I have never asked for one at our CL as all it will tell me is the name on the card, yes there is a number on it I can check but that could be anyone.  Re space we do not have market pitches we do ask new arrivals to respect others privacy.   

Posted on 07/08/2018 15:21

Sorry but it is your responsibility that those staying with you are members to comply with the terms of your cl via the club

Oneputt replied on 07/08/2018 15:50

Posted on 07/08/2018 15:50

JVB I understand what David is saying, our membership cards prove little or nothing.  Spacing is a matter of common sense but unfortunately that appears to be in short supply with some.

EmilysDad replied on 15/08/2018 13:40

Posted on 07/08/2018 15:21 by JVB66

Sorry but it is your responsibility that those staying with you are members to comply with the terms of your cl via the club

Posted on 15/08/2018 13:40

and how does wildemere verify that the card holder is the person named on the card? I could borrow your card & the CL owner would be none the wiser ....

moulesy replied on 15/08/2018 14:32

Posted on 15/08/2018 14:32

Interesting point about cards - on our 3 most recent stays at CLs we haven'the been asked to produce them,  but we have been asked for our membership number when confirming booking. I guess there's got to be an element of trust on both sides.

rovinmad replied on 15/08/2018 15:07

Posted on 02/08/2018 20:39 by kalamitty55

Posted on 15/08/2018 15:07

I think you just have to accept that there will always be a small percentage of very stupid or ignorant people where any activity is concerned.  When we had motorhomes we had several instances of others parking so close I could have reached out and touched their van. With a caravan we have pitched on an empty field, only to find later someone's caravan within 10 feet and their car tight up against our caravan.  You do have to wonder just what goes through their brains.  I think the best thing to do if possible is just move away.  You are not going to win an argument with that type.  Perhaps you were in "their place" and that is how they move you over!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook