Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

brian7483 replied on 15/07/2020 21:53

Posted on 15/07/2020 21:53

I have a Bailey Unicorn Cadiz which I bought new in April 2016. I was away in it from 5/7/2020 until 12/7/2020 at one of our club sites. My wife opened the top nearside cupboard nearest to the toilet and found water had leaked in through the roof joint into the locker. Fortunately we keep our belongings in plastic boxes in these lockers so the water had collected in that. Not a lot but enough to fill the box approximately six millimetres. This has happened over a period of three months during lock down whilst the caravan was in storage. I am currently in the process of negotiating with Bailey to have the leak repaired under warranty. I do not expect to have any problems with them. Whilst talking to another Bailey Unicorn owner on site he too had suffered the same problem. has anyone else had this occur to them?

hitchglitch replied on 16/07/2020 08:06

Posted on 16/07/2020 08:06

First generation Unicorns (2012 -) had a lot of damp problems due to poor application of sealant mainly between floor and side panels but also outside lockers. Mine went back to the factory twice and had a further severe recurrence after I sold it. Sounds like you have a local problem which should be more manageable but keep an eye on it and make sure the warranty is maintained.

For anybody buying a secondhand van with some remaining Bailey warranty they need to re-register it with Bailey.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 16/07/2020 09:49

Posted on 16/07/2020 09:49

Brian7483, it’s nothing to lose sleep over. The first batch of unicorn 3’s had a problem with the roof joint. They were quickly replaced by wider band on later models and faulty ones replace under warranty. My one started to sweat after three years. I noticed it on a trip. A quick call to my dealer and it was replaced on my return home without any fuss.

rayjsj replied on 16/07/2020 14:56

Posted on 16/07/2020 14:56

I thought Baileys new clamping system of putting Caravans together would mean the end of Water ingress through joints, but I suppose there are still Windòws/rooflights/ lockers that have to be fitted.

Is the New...ish system working ? Only I notice no-one else has followed their example.

JVB66 replied on 16/07/2020 15:30

Posted on 16/07/2020 15:30

When Bailey first introduced the Alutec system ,the front and roof to the rear were in one piece, but insurance companies were not happy that in the event of an accident it was (unless a write off)very expesive to repair?

Later models  have since been built with the front to rear top panel in several parts depending on model,which now entails joining strips across the width of all their  LVs ,, in 2015/2016 the strips supplied by a company in "Holland?"  some were found after a short period of use to become loose as the adhesive together with the width of the strips was not strong?enough and on some LVs let water in ,(we had it on our Pegasus ) they are/ were a warranty claim for replacement with a wider joining  strip and better adhesive, they should still be checcked as part of the body warranty during the annual service

brian7483 replied on 30/07/2020 14:25

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:25

I have now been in touch with Bailey and without any quibble they have agreed to repair the leak under warranty. Mt approved caravan workshop is awaiting delivery of the necessary parts.

JVB66 replied on 30/07/2020 14:32

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:25 by brian7483

I have now been in touch with Bailey and without any quibble they have agreed to repair the leak under warranty. Mt approved caravan workshop is awaiting delivery of the necessary parts.

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:32

Great news cool

Fozzie replied on 31/07/2020 10:43

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:25 by brian7483

Posted on 31/07/2020 10:43

Brian, when you say Bailey, can I ask, do you mean Bailey or the Dealer.

brian7483 replied on 27/08/2020 13:53

Posted on 27/08/2020 13:53

sorry for delay in reply. My approved workshop not the dealer who sold me the caravan placed request with Bailey and they agreed to send parts to workshop and Bailey will pick up the bill. I am still waiting for the parts to arrive as of 27/8/2020

Bob Didymus replied on 29/06/2021 17:13

Posted on 29/06/2021 17:13

Be careful here Brian since your legal redress will be against the dealer who sold you the caravan and not the approved workshop who Bailey have sub contracted work which should be performed by your dealer, to them, presumably with your permission. Do not be misled by other comments about this roof strap issue, it is probably the biggest cause for complaint I and many others like me have with our second hand Bailey vans, which without the repair properly performed are simply not fit for purpose. When I bought my van there were damp readings of 60 and 70 percent shown in my first service and Bailey claimed not to know what might be causing it, but by questioning agents I learned enough about the process of replacing the strap myself so for less than £100 and about 60 hours of work the damp readings are a uniform and acceptable 9-12 percent throughout my 2015 Unicorn Seville, but sadly there have been other water ingress problems and quality shortfalls requiring my constant attention to ensure I never buy another Bailey van, though I have learned to love the Alde heating system.👍

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook