What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Bluemalaga replied on 13/03/2023 10:53

Posted on 22/02/2023 19:28 by mickysf

Not so much what have I seen more what I’m hoping to see. Had some tip offs today from friends that common crane have been seen at Alkborough. Can’t get straight away so hope, if they are there, they hang around. The CL College Farm https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificatedlocations/england/lincolnshire/scunthorpe/college-farm/ is an excellent place to stay when visiting this reserve.

Posted on 13/03/2023 10:53

Hi Micky

Its a long way from Humberside, but if you are in the Slimbridge area around fledging time, you may get a treat of chick wandering around. The attached pick was taken mid May last year.

There are a number of cranes year round ( about 7 ) and they breed most years.

mickysf replied on 14/03/2023 19:30

Posted on 14/03/2023 19:30

Absolutely stunning photo BM, I saw them in Norfolk a few years ago but my photos were rather blurred and at great distance. Also hoping to see the Storks around and about on our tours  this spring. Hoping for a good breeding season for both species. The return of these iconic birds is primarily down to habitat restoration, restorative farming and determined enlightened farmers, naturalists and lovers of the great outdoors. 👍

Oneputt replied on 14/03/2023 20:31

Posted on 14/03/2023 20:31

Saw the first sand martins of the season today.  The cliffs haven’t suffered too much this winter so hoping for a good breeding season.

A good place to see cranes in Norfolk is the raptor viewing point at Stubbs Mill, NWT Hickling Broad especially when they are coming into roost

Bluemalaga replied on 14/03/2023 21:20

Posted on 14/03/2023 21:20

Hi OP

Hoping to dust off the van this year and return to Norfolk again and will keep this suggestion in mind.

Hope you are both well.

Oneputt replied on 15/03/2023 21:59

Posted on 15/03/2023 21:59

Saw 3 cranes flying just to the south of us earlier today, I believe they ended up at SWT Carlton Marshes.  This afternoon about 700 Cormorants flew in from the sea over our house, what was unusual was they were in one skien instead of the normal dozen or so

Oneputt replied on 16/03/2023 18:18

Posted on 16/03/2023 18:18

Just watching 500+ Starlings murmuration over the house.  They are probably getting ready to migrate 

RedKite replied on 17/03/2023 19:06

Posted on 17/03/2023 19:06

Have had 8 Black Kites flying over on their way further north, a pair of Bramblings at the bird feeder a bit late thought they would have been on their way north, also had a tree sparrow on the fat balls not seen one of them for awhile, Red kites have been flying over every day this week from their southern winter grounds, had a pair of female Black Redstarts fighting over the only male Black Redstart very interesting.

Did seen 3 Osprey's flying over yesterday on our way to a local DIY store and they were flying very low good to see, also a lot of Cattle Egrets in a couple of fields as well.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook