What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oneputt replied on 11/05/2018 16:06

Posted on 11/05/2018 16:06

Jupiter has shown well from here in the South East, just above the horizon.  Managed to see a couple of its moons a couple the other night but really need a more powerful scope.  I use an app called skyview.

Wherenext replied on 11/05/2018 18:21

Posted on 11/05/2018 18:21

Lots of larger birds at Isarmunde reserve today. Day started well when aaBlack Woodpecker flew alongside us for a while. Then we saw a Golden Oriole, no less. Things went quiet so we sat on a bank eating lunch and a Wryneck appeared and started singing which attracted a rival not far away.

We heard something in the sky and right above us  were 2 Honey Buzzards being mobbed by 3 Common Buzzards!!!. Then 4 Hobbies flew past showing off their skill at eating on the wing and finally we saw 2 Red Backed Shrikes. Hardly any small birds but we were entertained.

Back at the caravan we were sitting outside having a cold beer and had our bins with us. In half an hour we were able to see a Male and Female Spotted Flycatcher, M&F Blackcap, a Tree Sparrow, an Icterine Warbler, Black Redstart, Fieldfare, Robin, and Blackbird, all in the trees and hedge behind the van. So the small birds showed up at last.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/05/2018 20:51

Posted on 11/05/2018 20:51

Went to Boat of Garten Reserve today. Very little action: EJ, the female Osprey, sitting on 3 eggs, has not had a feed from her mate, George, since last Saturday, and the staff at the centre are getting worried about her. She has left the nest but only very briefly (as well as nearly being blown off!!), and George has visited a couple of times today but without any fish.

There was a GSW and a pair of Siskins feeding on the nuts etc outside the centre when I was there. We did hear a Crested Tit as we took the 2 Lochs trail but didn't spot it.

brue replied on 12/05/2018 10:13

Posted on 12/05/2018 10:13

Up in the night I noticed a back door security light come on and saw a badger rootling around. A few holes in the grass this morning...all over the garden, quite a big area! No doubt a few juicy worms were found. We can hear the badgers calling but that's the first one I've seen clearly. Must ask OH to set up the trail camera now I know the route.

Wherenext replied on 12/05/2018 18:28

Posted on 12/05/2018 18:28

We had a visit from one a few years ago now, Brue, and it overturned the cage that I had set up for the small birds to feed safely in and also to make sure the pigeons and squirrels didn't pinch the food. I put the outside light on, about 2 am, and there it was staring back at me, most belligerently. It wandered off and as we had some rabbit visits I decided to fix the fence at the bottom of the garden.

Wherenext replied on 12/05/2018 18:31

Posted on 12/05/2018 18:31

Quieter day on the bird front today but we stopped on a bridge whilst out on the bikes, over a small river, to have a drink of water. The Mallards below made a right kerfuffle and looking down we saw a badger swimming straight up the middle of the stream, then 50 yards further up it did a graceful dive and disappeared from view. Just goes to show that if you're not out and about you can miss a lot.

There was some lovely blossom on what can only be described as Pea Trees.

neveramsure replied on 12/05/2018 20:38

Posted on 12/05/2018 18:31 by Wherenext

Quieter day on the bird front today but we stopped on a bridge whilst out on the bikes, over a small river, to have a drink of water. The Mallards below made a right kerfuffle and looking down we saw a badger swimming straight up the middle of the stream, then 50 yards further up it did a graceful dive and disappeared from view. Just goes to show that if you're not out and about you can miss a lot.

There was some lovely blossom on what can only be described as Pea Trees.

Posted on 12/05/2018 20:38

What a lucky sighting that was WN.cool

Sadly not many badgers in my area, in fact I have never seen one other than on tv. frown

Must make more of an effort and visit a known area when on holiday.

brue replied on 13/05/2018 11:37

Posted on 13/05/2018 11:37

I'm glad you said that, I was a bit perplexed....laughing

We put out our trail camera on badger watch last night, results...one terrier tail, one plump pussy cat and much later a badgers nose...so OH will try again in a better spot.

Wherenext replied on 13/05/2018 17:59

Posted on 13/05/2018 17:59

Typical. Went back to same spot, waited half an hour with camera this time and nothing.

Did see a White Stork today.

Hope you get to feel better soon Brue. I hate it when my sinuses play up.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook