What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

neveramsure replied on 01/03/2018 18:06

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:10 by Pliers

Same here, Oneputt.

We often get great tits picking round the window frames, can't imagine what they are finding, but have never seen goldfinches doing it. And we do have Pendle's entire population of goldfinches in our garden, or so it seems.....😊

Posted on 01/03/2018 18:06

They are probably looking for spiders and the remains of fly's that spiders drag into small holes around the frame and in the brickwork.

Unusual to see goldfinches doing it though, although I have seen nuthatch doing it.smile 

nelliethehooker replied on 01/03/2018 20:35

Posted on 01/03/2018 20:35

A few Redwings and more Fieldfares in among the bushes along the River Tees path today, Cormorants feeding in the river and then a Snipe flew upstream, this afternoon. It must be this weather that's driving them into urban areas.

greylag replied on 02/03/2018 12:00

Posted on 02/03/2018 12:00

Today Fieldfares are in the garden, Mistlethrush also.

I take no credit for this picture, pure accident.

Oneputt replied on 02/03/2018 12:12

Posted on 02/03/2018 12:12

Mistle got the worm at Barleywood a couple of weeks ago.  I see someone found a dead Dunlin on there doorstep this morning, guess the weather is taking it's toll.  Strangely we haven't had many birds on the feeders in the last couple of days

greylag replied on 02/03/2018 13:38

Posted on 02/03/2018 13:38

Garden is full of birds...went local shop for some seed to spread across the lawn.  Also went to our Co OP and bought a pack of Apple's, chopped and thrown on lawn....going down very well.

Pliers replied on 02/03/2018 16:13

Posted on 02/03/2018 16:13

A pair of song thrushes in our garden yesterday and today.

Never seen a song thrush anywhere in the locality, ever, so where they've dropped in from I can't imagine. I'm keeping them well fed though!

Bluemalaga replied on 02/03/2018 20:51

Posted on 02/03/2018 20:51

Like most, stayed home today, filled up the feeders, scapped away some snow and spread some ground feed, then relaxed to spend a peaceful day behind the double glazing with the CH pumping away.

Well that was what I expected. Instead all hell broke loose first 8 wood pigeons descended on the newly scrapped area and fought for the whole morning for the lions share.

This afternoon, the Magpie nest was the centre of warfare as a pair of crows returned from last week, I guess to take over the nest. Two hours of bickering before the magpies retreated.

Then a couple of Starling found the feeders and before long about twenty or so were squabbling over the suet sticks.

Just opened the blinds to see if it was snowing and there was a Fox huddled up against the patio step.

Love to watch our little female Blackcap flitting between the feeders, nearly got her head stuck trying to reach the sunflower seed. The other feeder has plenty so does the lower station of the feeder she is on, but for some reason she keeps trying to reach what she cannot.

HelenandTrevor replied on 03/03/2018 09:20

Posted on 03/03/2018 09:20

Just had a Kestrel eyeing up our feeders from the top of next doors trampoline,  not quick enough for a photo cry but hoping he might come back.  This cold weather is certainly bringing some new birds into the gardens.  

Wherenext replied on 03/03/2018 15:34

Posted on 03/03/2018 09:20 by HelenandTrevor

Just had a Kestrel eyeing up our feeders from the top of next doors trampoline,  not quick enough for a photo cry but hoping he might come back.  This cold weather is certainly bringing some new birds into the gardens.  

Posted on 03/03/2018 15:34

They will take a small bird as well Helen, so the coal or blue tits better keep an eye out.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook