What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 25/02/2018 20:42

Posted on 25/02/2018 20:42

Have spotted quite a few Goosanders on both the R.Tweed, along with a couple of Dabchicks, and on the lakes in Duns estate. There are Bull Finches and Woodpeckers in the woods of Paxton House, and a Tawny Owl who starts calling in the afternoon for some reason, well before the sun has gone down.

greylag replied on 26/02/2018 07:11

Posted on 26/02/2018 07:11

BM...true....pure chance, but jammy none the less as I was there only 30 minutes.

OP...same spot as ever...kingfisher pool.  Heard a cheeping call for a few minutes, I took to be a bird.  I then thought...otter maybe?  Then the mum swam round and then this cub came out and sat on a plank of wood for only 15/20 seconds, with the sun behind.

I cannot guarantee that I will see them every day/week....just be there and take what comes.

Fed up with the weather being so gloomy, when my niece sends pic's of them on a site in Spain.

Picture is mum.

Bluemalaga replied on 26/02/2018 10:02

Posted on 26/02/2018 07:11 by greylag

BM...true....pure chance, but jammy none the less as I was there only 30 minutes.

OP...same spot as ever...kingfisher pool.  Heard a cheeping call for a few minutes, I took to be a bird.  I then thought...otter maybe?  Then the mum swam round and then this cub came out and sat on a plank of wood for only 15/20 seconds, with the sun behind.

I cannot guarantee that I will see them every day/week....just be there and take what comes.

Fed up with the weather being so gloomy, when my niece sends pic's of them on a site in Spain.

Picture is mum.

Posted on 26/02/2018 10:02

You know your patch, visit regularly, you get your reward.

Simple rule I follow in life, the more effort you put in, the luckier you become.

Another lovely pic.

I could not tell you how many visits I made to see the Short eared Owls, but eventually they came near enough to get some pics. They have not been reported since Thursday last week, so we may have to wait till next year now.

greylag replied on 26/02/2018 19:37

Posted on 26/02/2018 19:37

SEO's seem in short supply this year...Waxwings the same.

Oneputt replied on 26/02/2018 21:46

Posted on 26/02/2018 19:37 by greylag

SEO's seem in short supply this year...Waxwings the same.

Posted on 26/02/2018 21:46

You are absolutely right, but there seems more Hawfinches, Snow Buntings and Shore Larks about.  

greylag replied on 27/02/2018 07:39

Posted on 27/02/2018 07:39

My new birding partner....not sure she will sniff out any SEO's...first time up the river.

About to stake out the Lesser's being bright  and snowy.  Didn't see them much yesterday, probably blame being stuck indoors painting.

Oneputt replied on 27/02/2018 18:18

Posted on 27/02/2018 18:18

Saw a Buzzard sat on a post on the way home.  It was only when it took of I realised it was a Rough Legged Buzzard.  There has been one hanging around Haddiscoe Island for a while so guessing it’s that one seeking food.

HelenandTrevor replied on 27/02/2018 19:23

Posted on 27/02/2018 19:23

Had a great close encounter with our local Buzzard today, not seen it about for a while. This morning slowed down in the car on way home passed the park, I'd seen movement on the verge, first thought it was a cat, but no it was a Buzzard, hopped under the fence and appeared on the grass verge. Beautiful bird and only a couple of feet away from the car, wonderful made my day! smilesmile

Bluemalaga replied on 28/02/2018 09:53

Posted on 28/02/2018 09:53

I am confused by the behaviour of our local birds.

It is very cold -1c at present with a fairly stiff breeze blowing, but the birds seem to not care.

We have fairly large trees in surrounding gardens and at the very top or in bare trees are sitting the birds. 5 wood pigeon 4 collared doves and several magpies. There are eight crows sitting on TV ariels or ridge tiles.

Why do they not seek shelter from the wind and sit leeward in the conifers that would keep them much warmer.

Anyone know why?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook