Strange Noises In The Night

ADD46 replied on 29/09/2017 10:51

Posted on 29/09/2017 10:51

Can anybody help please? We're currently staying on a lovely CL in The Lincolnshire Wolds, on a farm, with fields all around.
Each night, very close to the side of the caravan, in the early hours, we've heard what can only be described as the noise a baby alligator makes. (The throat like hiccups, usually four in a row)
Intrigued, we decided to put our camera trap out over night to see what it is..... (We were thinking badgers or muntjac deers)............with excitement we brought the camera in this morning to find it had taken 16 photographs.........only to find two hares and my OH topping the water barrels up!
Has anybody heard hares make this strange noise or can you advise?

brue replied on 29/09/2017 11:33

Posted on 29/09/2017 11:33

• I just googled it and this youtube video came up...Bambi making snorting noises. The noises are clearer further into the clips. See if this works....

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 29/09/2017 13:18

Posted on 29/09/2017 13:18

+1, I've heard & witnessed both Hares & Hedgehogs emitting sounds that seem quite alien to themsmile

ADD46 replied on 29/09/2017 13:42

Posted on 29/09/2017 13:42

Thank you Brue and Rocky. We also googled "hare sounds" but couldn't find anything like this. It sounds as if it comes from the throat area. 

We're going to put the camera out again tonight and if all we get is hares, then it must be them. I must admit, I was hoping to capture something more interesting! Will let you know tomorrow morning, if we haven't been eaten by the beast of Bodmin Moor (who must be holidaying in Lincolnshire!) smile

JohnM20 replied on 29/09/2017 14:35

Posted on 29/09/2017 14:35

Is it a frog?  It's a bit late in the season but I still have a couple of frogs in my garden pond that are calling occasionally.

trellis replied on 29/09/2017 18:08

Posted on 29/09/2017 18:08

Maybe it's a fox , we have a family of them living next door to us and I've heard that noise on several occasions. I thought one of them had a "fur ball" in its throat.🐺🐺.

ADD46 replied on 29/09/2017 19:53

Posted on 29/09/2017 19:53

We originally thought it was a fox but the camera has only caught hares so far. We've set the camera back up and it's our last night here so we're hoping for better results tonight.

It's not a frog JohnM20 we too have them at home and we're very familiar with their calls in the back garden from February onwards! smile

trellis replied on 29/09/2017 20:50

Posted on 29/09/2017 20:50

ADD46,   Don't forget at night noise travels a long way ,so the culprit may not be as close as you think. You may have to widen your camera trap.

ADD46 replied on 30/09/2017 13:07

Posted on 30/09/2017 13:07

We've reviewed the camera footage from last night. The only animals caught on camera are rabbits, a hare, a hedgehog and a rather large rat. surprised

It's been interesting to review the activities that go on after dark, right outside the caravan door, without you knowing. We'll definitely take the camera away with us next time which will be another CL with similar surroundings, ie farm land and fields. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. After speaking to the CL owner, he confirmed that they have an active badger set close to the CL and foxes visit regularly. He suggested it may be the resident little owl that sits on the fence post close to where we were pitched.

So we still cannot identify the noise we heard but we now have lots of nice pictures of rabbits! 

brue replied on 30/09/2017 13:21

Posted on 30/09/2017 13:21

Nightlife is probably just as busy as daylight life, probably more so? What sort of camera are you using? It's been interesting reading this thread, I'll look forward to your next overnight camera adventure! smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook