Video Ref.

mickysf replied on 11/01/2018 07:40

Posted on 11/01/2018 07:40

How will this work in soccer? Does the ref. have to wait for a 'natural' break in the game to review? Can players or managers request it or is it only for the ref. when he is unsure? Will it work in this sport?

Kennine replied on 11/01/2018 09:58

Posted on 11/01/2018 09:58

Don't see any problems. It works perfectly well during Rugby Football matches. Of course Rugby matches are run under stricter rules regarding the conduct of players on the field of play and their respect for the Referee's decisions.

K

mickysf replied on 11/01/2018 11:10

Posted on 11/01/2018 11:10

Yes, I agree, but rugby in both codes have natural stopping points in the game. When does the ref. stop a soccer match to look at a possible issue. No similar advantage rule in soccer either. Would it be feasible to pull back the play for several minutes, a goal may have been scored in that time?

Kennine replied on 11/01/2018 11:18

Posted on 11/01/2018 11:10 by mickysf

Yes, I agree, but rugby in both codes have natural stopping points in the game. When does the ref. stop a soccer match to look at a possible issue. No similar advantage rule in soccer either. Would it be feasible to pull back the play for several minutes, a goal may have been scored in that time?

Posted on 11/01/2018 11:18

The Ref should stop the match whenever a foul or serious infringement is committed.  If that affects the flow of play then tough, perhaps we will not see so many infringements in the future. It's down to the decision of the Referee, his word is final. 

K

JVB66 replied on 11/01/2018 14:37

Posted on 11/01/2018 14:37

It can only be an improvement and help the ref when he sees a as happens now, numerous attempts by players to call "foul"when it was a deliberate braking of the rules to gain an advantage and its the"the beutifull game?undecided"

It has worked in the two matches hilighted on tvcool

mickysf replied on 11/01/2018 16:23

Posted on 11/01/2018 16:23

I hope it works, just wonder if it will take the 'fun' out of the moment for some members of the crowd who will now have to shout obscene chants aimed at a video.surprised

SELL replied on 11/01/2018 18:04

Posted on 11/01/2018 18:04

Seems to have worked well in the 2 games it has been used and the Managers have been happy with the system and so far all the decisions made by the on field referee have been correct after review. only criticism made so far by both Wenger and the TV pundits is some decisions have taken to long, Cant have it both ways. 

ABM replied on 11/01/2018 23:36

Posted on 11/01/2018 23:36

I  just  hope  its  kept  to  the  bare  minimum.

In  cricket  it  has  often  been  mentioned  that  the  ORIGINAL  idea  was  to  stop  some  of  the  howlers  from  taking  place  whereas  now  it  seems  to  be  an  automatic  reaction  by  some  players  even  if  they  are  wasting  a  Review  !

{  P.S.  I  did  appreciate  your  Ashes  Cricket  post  from  4  years  ago  SELL  }

papgeno replied on 12/01/2018 22:53

Posted on 12/01/2018 22:53

The problem I see is that it's still in the hands of one of the so called elite referees. Either as the VAR or the one on the field.

We've  had some shockers so far this season. I fear that I agree with Arsene Wenger, the more professional these referees become the worse they are, and they are untouchable. Northern Ireland were knocked out of the World Cup by a questionable refereeing decision and now months later the referee has admitted he made a mistake . Too little far too late.

Rog UTT

ABM replied on 14/01/2018 16:44

Posted on 14/01/2018 16:44

I  only  see  Top Flight  matches  on  tv,  Roger  but  on  M o t D last  night,  I  saw  a  wrestling  match  more  fit  to  be  between  Count Bartelli  &  Judo Al Hayes !  Ref  certainly  facing  the  incident   but  totally  ignored  it  !!  If  Anybody  did  that  on  the  High  Street  they  would / could  have  been  in  court  on  assault  charges  !!

papgeno replied on 15/01/2018 09:23

Posted on 15/01/2018 09:23

Yes Brian we see it for 90 minutes every other week. Interestingly refs in Rugby League are sponsored by Specsavers!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook