Tour of Britain 2016

Takethedogalong replied on 02/09/2016 12:13

Posted on 02/09/2016 12:13

Just a reminder for anyone interested that this years Tour of Britain starts in Glasgow tomorrow, and finishes in London next Sunday, taking in the Lakes, South Wales, Bath, Bristol, Midlands and Dartmoor on its way to London.

The race continues to grow, and is now attracting 10 World Pro Teams, and other Continental teams as well as some homegrown talent riding for Team Wiggins and Team GB. 

No Froome and Quintana, they are battling out the last big Tour of the year in Spain, but many teams are fielding stars of the big tours such as Griepel, Cavendish, Cummings, Pouells, Dan Martin, Tony Martin, Mark Renshaw, Tom Dumoulin, and it's a chance to see Bradley Wiggins and Owain Douell, plus Elia Viviani, three gold medalists from Rio! Likely to be Brad's last road race, so let's hope he makes it all the way to London!

Full details of each stage, starts and finishes, routes, teams and individual riders can all be found on the official Tour of Britain website. 

Down the last few years, the starts, route and finishes have attracted huge crowds, all enjoying a great free day of sport and enjoying seeing some of the best cycling superstars, and the newly emerging youngsters who hopefully go on the tackle the really big events such as the Giro, Vuelta and TdeF!

Goldie146 replied on 02/09/2016 13:47

Posted on 02/09/2016 13:47

Now this may not work - but here are some photos from near our lane end.

2007 peloton

Mark Cavendish ahead of the peloton (he was 2nd in the stage eventually)

And Cavendish and Wiggins in the peolton in 2012. Very wet.

Takethedogalong replied on 02/09/2016 14:02

Posted on 02/09/2016 14:02

Great photos Goldie! We were at the Cockermouth to Kelso stage last year (riding in a race car, whoo hoo!) and have done the Dartmoor stages two years previously. Back down to Dartmoor this year, for Haytor finish on Friday. We love this race, we can't get across to continent yet, so TDeF is on hold, but the atmosphere  for Tof B is always great! My OH was out yesterday and tootling along, another cyclist said hello as he approached a hill, turned out to be our local hero, Russell Downing, getting in some last minute miles. They were together for a while, but then Russell said see ya, and shot off at a great rate up the hill! Nice chap!Happy

IanH replied on 02/09/2016 15:11

Posted on 02/09/2016 15:11

Well TtDA, not my cup of tea really, but in the spirit of things, I'll place my bet on Tom Dumoulin, if I may.

Pliers replied on 02/09/2016 19:03

Posted on 02/09/2016 19:03

Great photos!

Don't think we'll get chance to see the T of B this year, but there again, it's not that far to Tatton. Traffic is always awful near there, though.

A rider, think I'll go for Fernando Gaviria.

nelliethehooker replied on 06/09/2016 21:56

Posted on 06/09/2016 21:56

Stunning win by Ian Stannard today, racing away from the 4 man breakaway on the Cat & Fiddle and soloing it to the finish.  A brave ride yesterday by Steve Cummings after a lead out by Cav on The Struggle at Ambleside. 

Cav's been in the action in other ways too, crashing on stage 1 and then giving an ignorant bystander, won't say supporter, a what for half way up The Struggle. Wonder what provoked that?

ABM replied on 06/09/2016 22:39

Posted on 06/09/2016 22:39

NtH,  Cav  said  he'd  been  going  about  his  work  when  the  bystander  started barracking  him,  so  he  saw  fit  to  take  exception  to  the  silly  lad  !!

The  best  thing  I've  noticed  round  here  about  the  Tour  of  Britain,  thus  far  is  the  fact  that  Cheshire  East  Council  had  loads  of  cleaners  out  with  Litter  Grabs  and  plenty  of  sacks !  Hope  it  becomes  a  habit  !!

Takethedogalong replied on 06/09/2016 23:10

Posted on 06/09/2016 23:10

Yes, excellent ride by Stannard. Devon CC have really gone to town on Dartmoor, P&R to finish, big screen, cycle events throughout day, stalls and things, meet the riders. Just hope it stays dry nowHappy

SteveL replied on 10/09/2016 15:53

Posted on 10/09/2016 15:53

Circuit race around Bristol this afternoon, starting on the downs , over the suspension bridge, down and back along the Avon through Ashton Gate and then looping back past Baltic Wharf. Would be an excellent place to watch from, just pop out for each passage and watch the rest on TV. Must have made arrivals and departures interesting.

nelliethehooker replied on 10/09/2016 20:56

Posted on 10/09/2016 20:56

Circuit race around Bristol this afternoon, starting on the downs , over the suspension bridge, down and back along the Avon through Ashton Gate and then looping back past Baltic Wharf. Would be an excellent place to watch from, just pop out for each passage and watch the rest on TV. Must have made arrivals and departures interesting.

For all of the ariel views we got I still couldn't spot the site, or perhaps I wasn't looking at the right time.

nelliethehooker replied on 10/09/2016 21:01

Posted on 10/09/2016 21:01

A first on the stage and a second in the Time Trial saw Rohan Dennis get to within 26secs of the Race Leader Steve Cummings. However with the final stage a circiuit race round London it looks as if the Englishman has finally won the Tour of Britain after 2 second places.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook