Tour of Britain 2016

Takethedogalong replied on 02/09/2016 12:13

Posted on 02/09/2016 12:13

Just a reminder for anyone interested that this years Tour of Britain starts in Glasgow tomorrow, and finishes in London next Sunday, taking in the Lakes, South Wales, Bath, Bristol, Midlands and Dartmoor on its way to London.

The race continues to grow, and is now attracting 10 World Pro Teams, and other Continental teams as well as some homegrown talent riding for Team Wiggins and Team GB. 

No Froome and Quintana, they are battling out the last big Tour of the year in Spain, but many teams are fielding stars of the big tours such as Griepel, Cavendish, Cummings, Pouells, Dan Martin, Tony Martin, Mark Renshaw, Tom Dumoulin, and it's a chance to see Bradley Wiggins and Owain Douell, plus Elia Viviani, three gold medalists from Rio! Likely to be Brad's last road race, so let's hope he makes it all the way to London!

Full details of each stage, starts and finishes, routes, teams and individual riders can all be found on the official Tour of Britain website. 

Down the last few years, the starts, route and finishes have attracted huge crowds, all enjoying a great free day of sport and enjoying seeing some of the best cycling superstars, and the newly emerging youngsters who hopefully go on the tackle the really big events such as the Giro, Vuelta and TdeF!

Takethedogalong replied on 11/09/2016 14:48

Posted on 11/09/2016 14:48

Circuit race around Bristol this afternoon, starting on the downs , over the suspension bridge, down and back along the Avon through Ashton Gate and then looping back past Baltic Wharf. Would be an excellent place to watch from, just pop out for each passage and watch the rest on TV. Must have made arrivals and departures interesting.

For all of the ariel views we got I still couldn't spot the site, or perhaps I wasn't looking at the right time.

We spotted it Nellie, great view as they zip past! They have had problems with getting aerial photos this Tour, especially Cumbria and Dartmoor stage, weather just too bad. Too dangerous for helicopters, we really missed seeing chopper on Dartmoor, and the TV highlights have been poor without as many aerial views. On the plus side, there have been far more spectators on the day than for the Vuelta stages!Wink

IanH replied on 11/09/2016 15:44

Posted on 11/09/2016 15:44

What sort of a naff stage is this? Cycling round and round a tiny circuit of London?

Takethedogalong replied on 11/09/2016 16:57

Posted on 11/09/2016 16:57

I agree, London doesn't lend itself to a circuit race, too hemmed in with high buildings. Boring for TV viewing. Paris is a superb venue for race finish. However, there are huge crowds watching, good for sponsors, riders enjoy being cheered on. Great win by Steve Cummings, well deserved and popular.

SteveL replied on 11/09/2016 17:53

Posted on 11/09/2016 17:53

Circuit race around Bristol this afternoon, starting on the downs , over the suspension bridge, down and back along the Avon through Ashton Gate and then looping back past Baltic Wharf. Would be an excellent place to watch from, just pop out for each passage and watch the rest on TV. Must have made arrivals and departures interesting.

For all of the ariel views we got I still couldn't spot the site, or perhaps I wasn't looking at the right time.

They showed sections of it a few times, plus the gates and an overall shot from very high up. I have a slightly unfair advantage in spotting where they were, being born and brought up in Bristol and visiting it frequently over the years. The production staff clearly were not very clued up, putting up the caption for the Great Britain on totally the wrong ship. It makes you wonder how often they do that sort of thing when it is an area you know nothing about.

volvoman9 replied on 11/09/2016 18:02

Posted on 11/09/2016 18:02

They came through our town on stage 3 and there was a fantastic turnout.All the primary schools brought the children out too cheer them on Happy

v9

Takethedogalong replied on 11/09/2016 19:56

Posted on 11/09/2016 19:56

The TV coverage hasn't been as good this year, firstly because bad weather on at least a couple of the stages prevented the helicopter footage, which adds a lot of atmosphere and interest. Secondly, the crew who normally front this tour were out covering the Vuelta. Huw Porter was struggling somewhat on his own. But live and out on the stages, the atmosphere and extra events organised were really good, and thousands out showing their appreciation. Some very good riders though, and a very popular winner in Steve Cummings. 

IanH replied on 11/09/2016 20:04

Posted on 11/09/2016 20:04

Hugh Porter is a dreadful commentator. He was a time trialler in his day and is absolutely clueless about road racing.

Takethedogalong replied on 11/09/2016 20:12

Posted on 11/09/2016 20:12

That's your opinion Ian, and I seem to recall that you weren't too complimentary regarding Ned Boulting and David Millar during TdeF, but hope you enjoyed the Vuelta a little more? I think Mr Porter did ok, not my favourite by any means.

IanH replied on 11/09/2016 20:39

Posted on 11/09/2016 20:39

That is my opinion, TtDA.

And yes, Ned Boulting got no better as it went along. I felt quite sorry for David Millar (who I think is good at giving insights into what goes on in the peloton) as he had to continually correct Ned.

Ned is an amusing fellow. I read his first book, "How I Won the Yellow Jumper" which is itself named after one of his gaffes. But as a commentator he is way out of his depth.

Porter never did know anything about road racing, and has clearly been dragged in as a third rate commentator for a third rate event.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/09/2016 20:49

Posted on 11/09/2016 20:49

If it was a 3rd rate event the major teams would not want to be associated with it. As it was nearly all the major teams were there in force, with world & national champions, recent Tour stage winners and wearers of the Yellow and Green jerseys. You do have a very blinkered outlook Ian!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook