Tour de France 2017

Runrig replied on 15/06/2017 16:07

Posted on 15/06/2017 16:07

It is approaching that time of year again.

Anyone care to throw in their two-pennies.

Could be the most open TdF in years.
Who has shown any consistent form in recent races?

Chris Froome looked inconsistent at Dauphine.
Richie Porte looked strong-ish, but just can’t see it over three weeks.
Nairo Quintana didn’t meet expectations at Giro… again
Tom Domoulin climbed consistently and time trailed his way to victory in Giro over Quintana, but again, can’t see it over three weeks.
Jacob Fuglsang ? I wish he didn’t ride for Astana
What of the others, Fabio Aru, Nibali, Valverde, Angel-Lopez, Esteban Chaves, Roman Bardet, Contador, Yates bros?

Head says Froome, heart says Roman Bardet

It would be too easy for me to say Froome, so I will go with Quintana just so Ian has to choose someone else. wink

IanH replied on 15/06/2017 19:18

Posted on 15/06/2017 19:18

I'll be surprised if Quintana is even in the Tour this year, having done the Giro.

I'll be going for a French rider in all probability (it must be the year for France this year!), but will wait until the team rosters are announced.

IanH replied on 16/06/2017 20:41

Posted on 16/06/2017 20:41

I think that Froome would want to 'prove himself' anyway. After all, it's worth mega-bucks to him to win any big competition.

And he does seem to be a very 'driven' person and an excellent pro cyclist.

Regarding Team Sky......who would have thought that 'marginal gains' would turn out to mean 'stretching the doping rules to the very extremes of their limits......and maybe a bit more' ?

Runrig replied on 29/06/2017 09:28

Posted on 29/06/2017 09:28

Just had a look at the team selections and route.

Really difficult one to call, the route only has two short time trails and two proper summit finishes.
Could make it really wide open.
Rather than seeing all the favourites holding back to the final climbs, we might see loads of attacking on innocuous stages that could gain time that normal GC contenders won't have the opportunity to gain back. This is going to make everyone super attentive to break aways almost anywhere.
I am hoping it will be really exiting as a result (but might be wrong)

The route does not play to either Froome or Quintanas strengths, but their two teams are far and away the strongest on paper. Surely if either want victory it has to come from those two stages. With only short time trials Froome will need every marginal gain he can get.

I wonder what is going through the heads of riders like Dan Martin and Steve Cummins.
On the assumption they could get away, riders like that can get in a break and sustain an attack on hard finishes. With time bonuses on offer too there could be opportunities for such riders. With only two real summit finishes they could limit their losses and keep things really tight at the top.

Vincenzo Nibali says he is riding for Aru, maybe he is, maybe he is past his best, but to me this route has his name written all over it.

Bring it on.

Stage 1 Prologue. Tony Martin on home soil, or either of the BMC boys Porte or Rohan Denis

nelliethehooker replied on 01/07/2017 21:33

Posted on 01/07/2017 21:33

Now that was a surprise, and a very pleasant one at that. Just goes to show what kind of form he was in before the unfortunate crash in the Giro. Well done Geraint.

Shame about Valverde though. Could a broken kneecap put an end to his racing career, I wonder?

nelliethehooker replied on 06/07/2017 21:47

Posted on 06/07/2017 21:47

Well I've got a stage winner at least. The way Aru shot away from the bunch give me some confidence that I've pick the right guy. 

ABM replied on 18/07/2017 14:52

Posted on 18/07/2017 14:52

Hell's  Bells  &  little  Ding  Dongs,  Where  are  you  all  --  12  days  since the  latest  comment  ??

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook