How's your footy team doing?

papgeno replied on 14/12/2016 11:00

Posted on 14/12/2016 11:00

I'm starting this thread again because it seems to have been a casualty of the change over to the new site. The Terriers scecured another away win last night at Burton. Two wins in a row now after a barren spell. It'll all go pear shaped on Friday when we go to Norwich because the game is to be televised , we haven't won on the telly for ages.

nelliethehooker replied on 04/04/2021 20:59

Posted on 04/04/2021 20:59

Looks like the local team are managing to claw their way above the drop zone, with those below them unable to win so far this weekend, and have what could well be a crucial game tomorrow. 

M you could save your visit to see your side till we're down, or perhaps arrange a stay in the Lakes to clash with the away game,  as there's bound to be plenty of social distancing available at Holker Street, and give Mrs M a day's rest, of which I'm sure she'd appreciate (Not).wink

papgeno replied on 05/04/2021 18:26

Posted on 05/04/2021 18:26

I read today that they’re proposing letting 1,000 into the Crucible for the World Snooker. I’d have thought that would just about fill the place.

The last match we attended was a lovely 4-0 drubbing of Charlton Athletic. We’d already renewed our season tickets before the lockdown and we’ve used them to watch on IFollow.

I’ve had my two jabs and my GS has had COVID so when we can go I think we will. I know there’s no guarantees but I’ll do a dynamic risk assessment 🤓🥸

UTT Rog

papgeno replied on 07/04/2021 15:09

Posted on 07/04/2021 15:09

Thank you Brian. That was a mauling of the first order. 
I always look at the team news which is released about an hour before the match and when I saw it I texted my SIL that the manager seemed to be giving Norwich the match and saving players for the 6 pointer on Saturday. Then I saw that the first choice keeper was unwell and the hologram was playing and texted again that “this could be a slaughter “ unfortunately I was spot on. 
I have to confess that I switched off after we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes so I was spared the worst 

UTT Rog 🙏

ABM replied on 07/04/2021 21:58

Posted on 05/04/2021 18:26 by papgeno

I read today that they’re proposing letting 1,000 into the Crucible for the World Snooker. I’d have thought that would just about fill the place.

The last match we attended was a lovely 4-0 drubbing of Charlton Athletic. We’d already renewed our season tickets before the lockdown and we’ve used them to watch on IFollow.

I’ve had my two jabs and my GS has had COVID so when we can go I think we will. I know there’s no guarantees but I’ll do a dynamic risk assessment 🤓🥸

UTT Rog

Posted on 07/04/2021 21:58

It seems that there will be 33% capacity for Round One at the Snooker Championships at the Crucible,  Roger

50% capacity for Round 2

75% for the Q/fs & S/fs

100%  for the final

BUT mandatory Masking for ALL FANS !

papgeno replied on 07/04/2021 23:25

Posted on 07/04/2021 23:25

Thanks for the enlightenment Brian. 

I just googled the capacity, can't think why I didn't do it before, and it's quoted as 980.

Having inspected the kitchens there many moons ago I didn't think it would hold many.

papgeno replied on 10/04/2021 18:24

Posted on 10/04/2021 18:24

Town were very very lucky to get a point today. Rovrum should have had at least three. 
Bournmouth at home next what could possibly go wrong 

UTT Rog

ABM replied on 10/04/2021 21:39

Posted on 10/04/2021 21:39

Today Crewe caught a bit of a headache from the Oxford thingummybob !  Only marginally better than Roger's lot copped last week !

Sniffle Snivel  SOB SOB SOB  !!

Times or even dates of next Saturdays EFL matches subject to change, for very obvious reasons

moulesy replied on 11/04/2021 20:50

Posted on 11/04/2021 20:50

Brian - your lot could get thumped every week from now till the end of the season and you'd still finish above us! frown

I remember, many, many years ago, listening to a play on the radio (probably when it was still called a wireless) about an ailing football team whose owner hit on the excellent idea of getting relegated so that his team could, hopefully,  win the league below the following season with all the money and the trophy that would bring. So he appointed the most hopeless manager he could find half way through the season to ensure that happened.  Trouble was that the new bloke turned things round and they won on the last day of the season to stay up. 

Well, Rovers are ailing and seem to have managed the hopeless manager bit (3 of them in fact) but I can't see any signs of a happy ending at all.  yell

ABM replied on 11/04/2021 21:30

Posted on 11/04/2021 21:30

Be Not Afraid of such happenings, M-- Laddie,  we all have such worries down here in the lower echelons of the EFL. Premier and Chumpion divisions often spent a fortune on players in the summer, then ship 'em out to other clubs in this country or abroad even but I do not know why !  Too often the 'exiled ones'  will only ever play a fistful of games for their 'Owners' before being sold on, rather like recovered property in the Police Auctions.

Totally beyond Yours Truly   undecided

It's even got like that in the cricketing world now, with players 'selling themselves' to teams in the international flog-it-and-whack-it leagues for horrendous sums of filthy lucre.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook