What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Freddy55 replied on 19/08/2024 19:05

Posted on 19/08/2024 15:58 by DavidKlyne

Freddy

Margaret is in the same position regarding her hip. It was one of the reasons we gave up motorhoming. She was initially referred to a non NHS facility who were able to offer the operation quite quickly but there were two issues. Firstly neither were in MK, one in Kettering and the other in Banbury but the second issue was that as she has had a heart bypass it seems the hip has to be done in a main hospital. The downside of that is much longer waiting lists! She had a message today telling her to select the hospital and set the initial appointment with the Consultant so its only then we will get an idea of the cost. Our two boys keep telling her to pay to have it done privately, whether that happens might depend on how long the wait is. She seems to have got very bad over a fairly short space of time? Fingers crossed that your wife gets it sorted soon.

David

Posted on 19/08/2024 19:05

Hiya David. 
The wife had a choice of hospitals for her consultation. As it happens, she chose one that not only has a short waiting list, but is just a 5 min drive away (it’s an NHS facility). At 68, she’s probably at the right age. It seems quite optimistic, but of course, it will depend on what the consultant says. He/she might decide the wifes condition isn’t severe enough? Thankfully, apart from the usual aches and pains, the wife doesn’t have any underlying health issues. I hope your wife can get sorted soon👍

Goldie146 replied on 19/08/2024 19:50

Posted on 19/08/2024 19:50

It’s a Good News Day today - we got notification that we are now officially clear of Bovine TB.

The first thing we are planning is to sell some youngstock, that would have been sold months ago. So we are not overcrowded, and we get some extra income. 

And in other news I paid a very nice gentleman to torture me while I lay back and watched a television on the ceiling. Yes, I’ve been to the dentist.

KjellNN replied on 19/08/2024 21:09

Posted on 19/08/2024 21:09

Excellent news Goldie, so glad things are improving for you!

Not been much on here lately as keeping busy trying to get DD’s Glasgow West End  flat in good enough shape to sell, it has turned into a much bigger job than we thought as the damage done by the (former) tenants is extensive, much worse than it looked at first.  And they did NO cleaning before they left, and did not give correct notice, or pay the correct rent.

She had cleaners in before we went to  Norway in June, then a painter in to paint the whole place, but now, after I have been working there for 3 weeks, there is at least another weeks work required.

Unfortunately there is now apparently water ingress in a downstairs bedroom, so that has to be dealt with by the factors (building managers) as outside walls are a shared problem, so very likely to take a while and hold up marketing the property.    Just what she did not need!

I have been kept busy laying all new LVT flooring on the upper level ( it is a duplex flat) , new scotia beading to the existing laminate  on the lower level, new plinth in the kitchen, rebuilding the fridge housing trashed by the tenants, new lights in several rooms, new handrail to staircase………etc etc etc …..feels like everything has needed to be sorted!!

How they have done so much damage in a few years is difficult to understand.

DD has a long list that we are working through, she is helping me at weekends, but as is usual, one thing leads to another, and the jobs keep increasing!

We are booked to go away early September, that is fixed as DD and children are coming along too for a couple of nights, then we are visiting friends, but nothing booked afterwards as yet.  If the flat needs more work, we will need to cut the holiday short, and maybe go away in October instead.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/08/2024 21:49

Posted on 19/08/2024 21:49

Pleased you got home ok, WN, after a good time away. Good to hear that MIL's hearing has not been affected.

Hope that all those that are waiting for hospital appointments and consultations soon hear about them, and that any delays are not too long.

Goldie, grand news about your cattle's clearance from TB. Fingers crossed that it is eradicated from your farm.

It has been a rather dull day with periods of rain this afternoon. We visited Hutton-in-the-Forest today, and although the hall  was not open we had a couple of good walks through the woodlands and found the beautiful gardens. The CL we are on is surprisingly quiet considering its proximity to the Lake District and the amount of folks that appear to be out in the area.

Some photos of the house and gardens. There are some elaborate gates into the walled gardens, one of which I have included.

DavidKlyne replied on 19/08/2024 22:17

Posted on 19/08/2024 19:05 by Freddy55

Hiya David. 
The wife had a choice of hospitals for her consultation. As it happens, she chose one that not only has a short waiting list, but is just a 5 min drive away (it’s an NHS facility). At 68, she’s probably at the right age. It seems quite optimistic, but of course, it will depend on what the consultant says. He/she might decide the wifes condition isn’t severe enough? Thankfully, apart from the usual aches and pains, the wife doesn’t have any underlying health issues. I hope your wife can get sorted soon👍

Posted on 19/08/2024 22:17

I said "initial appointment with the Consultant so its only then we will get an idea of the cost." I should have said "initial appointment with the Consultant so its only then we will get an idea of the wait." I suppose it may not be possible to go privately if it has to be done in an NHS Hospital, no doubt the Consultant will be able to confirm?

David

Freddy55 replied on 19/08/2024 22:34

Posted on 19/08/2024 22:17 by DavidKlyne

I said "initial appointment with the Consultant so its only then we will get an idea of the cost." I should have said "initial appointment with the Consultant so its only then we will get an idea of the wait." I suppose it may not be possible to go privately if it has to be done in an NHS Hospital, no doubt the Consultant will be able to confirm?

David

Posted on 19/08/2024 22:34

Hiya David.

I must admit, I was a bit confused. It doesn’t take much🙂

Yes, the consultant should know. In my earlier post, I said that the wife was going to an NHS facility. It turns out that it has recently turned into a private establishment, so I’m guessing the NHS will be paying. Quite common apparently. I did look at the going rate for hip replacement there. Around £14,000, for starters.

DSB replied on 20/08/2024 07:42

Posted on 20/08/2024 07:42

Set out for the Outer Hebrides on Sunday lunchtime.  Caught the ferry from Uig on Skye to Tarbert (Harris) early on Moonday morning.  Weathe was pretty aweful yesterday, but this morning it's looking a lot brighter.... and the midges are out!!  Haven't had chance to catch up with posts yet - hope all are well.

David

Bakers2 replied on 20/08/2024 07:58

Posted on 20/08/2024 07:58

FANTASTIC news Goldie. Hopefully, your beasts will sell at a good price to cover additional costs. Once you're 'back to normal' and the additional workload eases you must all 'enjoy' 🍾 the news. Let's hope it never darkens your door again 🤞

KjellNN once more you seem to be extremely busy! I do hope all this work, yours, and the professional help recoups a good deal more when the sale of your daughters flat happens. She's very lucky to have you to call on. Please ensure your get your holidays! 

Good to read others news and see photos.

Hoping those awaiting ops etc don't have to wait too long. OH had his oral op, teeth removal and removal of a lump under his tongue cancelled 2 days before it in June. The department is continually on answerphone, assuring they listen and will get back. 6 weeks and counting! Complex health issues, mainly heart so lots of blood thinners, mean no one is interested privately at any price! Capable of the work but it's if things take a turn......... One of the reasons private hospitals can't do 'complex cases is they don't have emergency departments on standby . Those folk are rushed to NHS hospitals 🤬

I'm still feeling like my get up and go is on holiday..... At least the weather has turned to decent English summer days..tiny bit of rain overnight, neither use nor ornament!

Garden harvest going well, sharing Victoria plums and runner beans with friends and neighbours. In return we're getting cooking apples 😋, but I'm declining marrows and courgettes so often! I don't grow them as we aren't keen!  Farm harvest ongoing, wheat all in, not a brilliant yield but ok. Started on the oats but  they were a tad damp, no sun - but wind yesterday so the expected finish of ripening didn't happen. The overnight shower(s) won't of helped.

Shortly off for dog walk, I expect I'll be picking more blackberries. I just can't resist! Then thankfully it's a haircut, that seems to have grown like crazy over the last 4 weeks. Maybe I'll be the opposite of Samson, and my energy will return with its shearing? 🤣

richardandros replied on 20/08/2024 11:25

Posted on 20/08/2024 11:25

Wonderful news Goldie - bet you breathed a sigh of relief.  It must have been awful having that hanging over you for the last few months.

Hope the crossing wasn't too lumpy David - and that you enjoy your holiday.

We arrived at Thornthope CS, just outside Malton on Friday and other than set the awning up on Saturday (and that was an event in itself!) haven't done a great deal.  Did go to Thornton Le Dale, yesterday and it was heaving - probably the 'Bangers and Cash' effectsmile

Off out for lunch today - with our friends from Old Malton - to celebrate Ros's birthday.  I haven't to say how old she is this year - but both numbers are the samewink

I think we've got a bit of David's weather here today - although it's hot and sunny (most of the time), it's very windy.  The site is pretty busy - which is nice to see and Meg has two Cockapoo friends to play with - so everyone's happy!!

Wherenext replied on 20/08/2024 11:45

Posted on 20/08/2024 11:45

Hope it isn't that very "Un-PC" old bingo call of 2 Fat ladies Richard. Hope she enjoys the day.

If you want a fairly undemanding walk then try visiting St.Hildas church in Ellerburn. The walk is mostly off road and if the church is locked then ask at the farmhouse opposite as lady owner kindly lent us the key. Quite interesting and worth the walk.

St.Hildas Ellerburn

Having a coffee break before returning to gardening duties. Need to clean the bikes as well, probably tomorrow and The Van needs a clean.

MiL being "treated" to a small shop around Tesco with OH. Acclimatising her (could apply to both ladies actually)laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook