The Pointless Page

replied on 13/01/2018 06:20

Posted on 12/01/2018 08:37 by cariadon

When my son was looking for work I noticed many private companies  that provided their vehicle and would actually paid you to work. Maybe something like that would provide you with a better income. It would give you the driving job that you say you are good at and enjoy, plus you would have time to spend with your wife.

I think that for an intelligent man there are more rewarding jobs than a fast food delivery service.

Posted on 13/01/2018 06:20

There may be more rewarding jobs around, cariadon, but I'm happy with this job. I like the people that I work with because everyone gets on well with each other and are happy to work as a team and I get to meet the customers too, most of whom are nice.  My biggest problem is the cost of unleaded petrol. It is a problem that I'm getting resolved through the purchase of a car that runs on electric, so I no longer have to buy a fossil fuel that I can no longer afford from my drop money and tips!

replied on 13/01/2018 06:55

Posted on 12/01/2018 18:49 by Takethedogalong

It must be frustrating TG, especially if things like visas have to organised well in advance. We are just slowly coming out of a year of not being able to plan anything early, or commit to any bookings because of health issues and appointments. On the plus side, obviously not overseas, but we did make the most of short trips to some very interesting new places not too far away in between operations, treatment and bouts of illness, and it kept us happy, still functioning. Depends if you can do this of course, but hope things pick up for you, and you can still get out there, even if at short notice and not too far!smile

Posted on 13/01/2018 06:55

Tell me about it! Ever since we first met, my wife and I have had to contend with visa problems. When we were in China, the problem was a Chinese visa for me. Now the problem is a UK visa for my wife!

When we were in China, I was allowed a maximum stay of 180 days. When this expired, I was required to leave China for another country in order to renew. The nearest border was Hong Kong which was a huge, costly journey from Wuhan to Shenzhen. There are 3 border crossings from Shenzhen into Hong Kong, all of which have hordes of people queueing to get across. Amazingly, many of the them were school children whose parents obviously believed could get a better education in Hong Kong than China. It seems they would cross the border daily to commute to and from Hong Kong.

The best time to cross the border was between midnight and 2 a.m. when there were less people, so much quicker!

Often enough, the visa application, even using the fast process and paying the additional fee would take more than a day, necessitating an overnight stay in a hotel in Hong Kong, at £100 per night.

cariadon replied on 13/01/2018 07:24

Posted on 13/01/2018 05:47 by

The problem, David, is that over the years many threads were closed because of excessive reporting by some who did not like the topic of discussion and wanted it closed. This frustrated others who found the topic of discussion interesting. Not everybody finds it interesting to discuss mundane matters such as their washing and ironing!

Posted on 13/01/2018 07:24

How do you know why a thread is closed,  you assume it's because people wanted it closed when it could be because everything that could be said had been said.

For you discussing washing and ironing is mundane, others might find discussing eating, shopping, commuting, loyalty points  children, grandchildren a pointless and mundane. We are all different in what we enjoy.

cariadon replied on 13/01/2018 07:33

Posted on 13/01/2018 06:20 by

There may be more rewarding jobs around, cariadon, but I'm happy with this job. I like the people that I work with because everyone gets on well with each other and are happy to work as a team and I get to meet the customers too, most of whom are nice.  My biggest problem is the cost of unleaded petrol. It is a problem that I'm getting resolved through the purchase of a car that runs on electric, so I no longer have to buy a fossil fuel that I can no longer afford from my drop money and tips!

Posted on 13/01/2018 07:33

Many people are finding it hard to travel to work whether by train, bus or car and are not able to change the situation as you are able,  So you are not alone with lengthy, costly traveling cost.

More and more banks are closing, so for us it means a 30 mile round trip is we want to pay in money, only to find the bank full of machines not cashiers. Pointless complain because it's profit before customer service.

replied on 13/01/2018 07:42

Posted on 12/01/2018 13:59 by Rocky 2 buckets

Which disproves the original mantra that He was a ‘starchaser’, you are exonerated Malc-it’s official👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻😂

Posted on 13/01/2018 07:42

Thank you, R2B! 

replied on 13/01/2018 08:05

Posted on 13/01/2018 07:33 by cariadon

Many people are finding it hard to travel to work whether by train, bus or car and are not able to change the situation as you are able,  So you are not alone with lengthy, costly traveling cost.

More and more banks are closing, so for us it means a 30 mile round trip is we want to pay in money, only to find the bank full of machines not cashiers. Pointless complain because it's profit before customer service.

Posted on 13/01/2018 08:05

Yes but the biggest issue, as far as I'm concerned is cost. I have worked a solution to that. By changing to an electric car, I can substantially reduce my costs.

Every business has to look at costs to see if there is a lower cost way. Income doesn't just come from customers, it can be increased by reduction in costs. My biggest overhead was fuel, an overhead that can be eliminated through a change to electric.

It stands to reason that if I am paying over £2500 a year on fuel, I would be £2500 a year better off with an electric car. That's like increasing my pay from £7.50 an hour to £10.83 per hour due to the drop money and tips being added to my overall pay instead of being spent on petrol!

replied on 13/01/2018 08:28

Posted on 13/01/2018 08:28

Unfortunately, cariadon, the drop money doesn't go up everytime the price of petrol goes up, so that causes a shortfall. To stay afloat, it is essential to address this issue. Many businesses go bankrupt in situations where their outgoings exceed their incomings. It's like CY quoted about Mr. Macawber!

SteveL replied on 13/01/2018 08:30

Posted on 13/01/2018 08:30

It stands to reason that if I am paying over £2500 a year on fuel, I would be £2500 a year better off with an electric car. That's like increasing my pay from £7.50 an hour to £10.83 per hour due to the drop money and tips being added to my overall pay instead of being spent on petrol!

Only to be spent on the extra cost of buying the car, over and above keeping the present, one. It is not even benefiting the environment that much, as much  of your fuel will still be derived from fossil fuels,

Pointless!!!

huskydog replied on 13/01/2018 08:37

Posted on 13/01/2018 08:37

"Every business has to look at costs to see if there is a lower cost way. Income doesn't just come from customers, it can be increased by reduction in costs. My biggest overhead was fuel, an overhead that can be eliminated through a change to electric."

But Malc , you want other people to pay for the "fuel" for your EV, is that fair ??????

replied on 13/01/2018 08:42

Posted on 13/01/2018 08:30 by SteveL

Only to be spent on the extra cost of buying the car, over and above keeping the present, one. It is not even benefiting the environment that much, as much  of your fuel will still be derived from fossil fuels,

Pointless!!!

Posted on 13/01/2018 08:42

I have to agree Steve. Take a hit on trading in present car having paid VAT and suffered the highest bits of depreciation. Buy a new car that does not have suitable range for proposed winter usage with a gas guzzler as a second car, pay for extra gas over winter months. 

I hardly see the situation as win - win. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook