The Pointless Page

Takethedogalong replied on 12/01/2018 11:21

Posted on 12/01/2018 11:21

I don't use the report button very often at all, preferring to be honest and upfront about how irritating it can be to have certain topics spilling over into more than one thread, dominating them to the detriment of lots of other members who prefer not to get involved and perpetuate such behaviour. Lots of folks are trying to ignore what is going on, using the threads as intended, others quite frankly are being driven away by it all. No problem with any of the subject matter, everyone has the right to say what they like within the rules, but if particular topics are dominating more than one thread, with the same stuff repeated and torn apart on more than the one thread, then it becomes irritating, and difficult to keep up with other subjects of interest.

Rowena has to be polite in how she passes on advice to everyone, but ignoring that advice shouldn't be taken as a good thing. It isn't, it's disrespectful, and shows a lack of empathy and understanding towards other members.

Please feel free to report this post if you don't agree, that option is available to everyone.

replied on 12/01/2018 11:34

Posted on 12/01/2018 11:34

I too would rarely report a post. If I do do it is normally because I think CC input useful and ask for such input. Certainly not to report posts that I am not interested in. 

SteveL replied on 12/01/2018 12:13

Posted on 12/01/2018 12:13

I certainly would not report a post because I did not agree with it, or thought it out of place. Much of the current problem has been caused by such reporting, in my opinion. Rowena stated she was closing the EV thread because of reports. Not surprisingly the topic spilled into general chat. So pointless really. 

replied on 12/01/2018 12:19

Posted on 12/01/2018 12:13 by SteveL

I certainly would not report a post because I did not agree with it, or thought it out of place. Much of the current problem has been caused by such reporting, in my opinion. Rowena stated she was closing the EV thread because of reports. Not surprisingly the topic spilled into general chat. So pointless really. 

Posted on 12/01/2018 12:19

Exactly, Steve. It is clear from that, that certain posters are abusing the report system and thereby causing threads to be closed. They seem to get some kind of kick out of acting in such a destructive manner. Such behaviour is annoying to everyone else but they don't seem to care about that. In behaving in this way, all they achieve is to make matters worse.

SteveL replied on 12/01/2018 12:56

Posted on 12/01/2018 12:19 by

Exactly, Steve. It is clear from that, that certain posters are abusing the report system and thereby causing threads to be closed. They seem to get some kind of kick out of acting in such a destructive manner. Such behaviour is annoying to everyone else but they don't seem to care about that. In behaving in this way, all they achieve is to make matters worse.

Posted on 12/01/2018 12:56

I don't think you can call it abusing M. Everyone is free to use the button  as they see fit. Also as I previously stated I don't feel the use of "destructive" appropriate. I was just highlighting what in my opinion is the pointlessness ( is that even a word) of it all.

replied on 12/01/2018 13:00

Posted on 12/01/2018 13:00

pointlessness passes my spell checker Steve. 

cariadon replied on 12/01/2018 13:03

Posted on 12/01/2018 13:03

You will be happy to see Malcolm that I have started a thread on EV. So they will all be on one place.

SELL replied on 12/01/2018 13:50

Posted on 12/01/2018 13:50

a totally pointless question, I wonder how many gold stars MM would have now it the points system was still operational.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 12/01/2018 13:59

Posted on 12/01/2018 13:50 by SELL

a totally pointless question, I wonder how many gold stars MM would have now it the points system was still operational.

Posted on 12/01/2018 13:59

Which disproves the original mantra that He was a ‘starchaser’, you are exonerated Malc-it’s officialπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜‚

DavidKlyne replied on 12/01/2018 16:05

Posted on 12/01/2018 16:05

Malcolm

The report button is there to alert the Community Manager to potential problems and everyone is free to use it. Some might feel that a particular discussion is being crowded out by some "over posting" continuingly on the same subject. I think you have to give Rowena credit for being able to distinguish between what might be seen as those with an agenda and those that genuinely feel a thread has gone off course. As a result of those reports all that Rowena has done is to remind people how they should conduct themselves on this forum and the consideration they should show to others. Everyone needs to look in the mirror to see if they are conducting themselves in the spirit of that reminder,don't you think?

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook