The More Things Change

replied on 15/08/2017 22:57

Posted on 15/08/2017 22:57

'The more things change, the more they stay the same' as the saying goes. 

Some say that electricity on site should be metered. Do they really think that will make there stay on site cheaper? 

Some say that the CC should bring back deposits as they cannot book the pitches that they want because those pitches are booked up. Do they really believe that will improve availability.

Some want to be able to book hardstanding (including me) the truth though is that I would be 'all right Jack' as I tend to book early. Those who feel unable to book until just before the off would have grass on many sites or go elsewhere. 

Some think that the CC should provide servicing for those not using the CC sites. Not sure how that helps the typical member. Not sure how that helps areas of the country where there is a perceived problem of wild camping or helps the standing of the CC in such areas.

I am sure there are other things that some think would be the best thing since sliced bread and progress .............. but would they??

replied on 15/08/2017 23:52

Posted on 15/08/2017 23:52

Some say that electricity on site should be metered. Do they really think that will make there stay on site cheaper?

Well I admit that for some it might. Those that have a motorhome and actually use it to go off site in the day (particularly in Winter time) might well save money by paying for what they use when on site. I do not see that applying to many members during the times that I am site in winter. But yes for some. No idea as to the effects on those who would choose to use gas in preference given that they would still be paying for the bollard whether using electricity or not. 

SteveL replied on 16/08/2017 00:00

Posted on 16/08/2017 00:00

Some want to be able to book hardstanding (including me) the truth though is that I would be 'all right Jack' as I tend to book early. Those who feel unable to book until just before the off would have grass on many sites or go elsewhere.

We feel the same. However, selfishly, I would like to take it further and convert grass pitches to Hardstanding asap and on any site re-vamp install twice as many service pitches as they seem to be doing.

replied on 16/08/2017 00:26

Posted on 16/08/2017 00:26

Selfishly I would not like to see too many serviced pitches Steve. smile

On a typical 5 night stay on a site with facilities £3.90 a night means £19.50 cost for me and for one aquaroll fill and one wastemaster empty. Seems a tad dear.

Pippah45 replied on 16/08/2017 07:02

Posted on 16/08/2017 07:02

Installation of Metered electricity would undoubtedly cause a hike in overall pitch prices so for that reason I would be against it.  However on the few occasions I have used metered I felt I was a winner but those occasions were Summertime so no heating needed.  If the Club brought in meters I would do well with my Safefill gas though wink in winter.  

Oneputt replied on 16/08/2017 07:45

Posted on 16/08/2017 07:45

Really not bothered as we only use CC sites about twice a year.  The vast majority of CL's we use are grass so why would we be bothered with HS/grass pitches on club sites.  If they brought in MH service points (where wardens could keep and eye on it) I don't think it would particularly impact on our break.  I think the club would need to ask the question, do they want to see ever increasing 'wild camping' in areas like Western Scotland which is detrimental to us all.  A lot of continental sites we use have metered electricity so as a self contained van no problem.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2017 08:25

Posted on 16/08/2017 08:25

Some will always want to debate the same old subjects (in the wrong section) again and again so we forever go round in circles. It's that time of year I suppose, filling the gap between the season start and the next frenzy day. cool

replied on 16/08/2017 08:31

Posted on 16/08/2017 08:31

Not really after a debate TW. Just thinking out 'loud' and interested in others thoughts.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/08/2017 08:44

Posted on 16/08/2017 08:44

'Just thinking out loud'. . . .Then taking the trouble of posting. . . .Subjects that cause friction. . . .Time & time again. Not really after a debate?laughinglaughing Yeah right ETtongue-out

replied on 16/08/2017 08:50

Posted on 16/08/2017 08:50

I was simply trying to clarify my own views Rocky as much as anything. Although interested in others reasonable views rather than their Self righteously shrouded self interested views. Not noted any friction prior to your post fella. smile

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2017 08:56

Posted on 16/08/2017 08:50 by

I was simply trying to clarify my own views Rocky as much as anything. Although interested in others reasonable views rather than their Self righteously shrouded self interested views. Not noted any friction prior to your post fella. smile

Posted on 16/08/2017 08:56

Then you missed the point of my post. 

The friction was there just under the surface in your OP, Easy. Have you not realised it's the action of a troll-like poster to keep stirring up contentious issues?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook