Satnav use in the new driving test

Bakers2 replied on 15/04/2017 08:24

Posted on 15/04/2017 08:24

Hmmmmm not in a position to comment as yet but loved πŸ˜‰the interview with the minister on Radio 4 Today programme at 8.10. 😯

brue replied on 15/04/2017 08:32

Posted on 15/04/2017 08:32

I would prefer it if people could actually read a map, I never use satnav but I might one day if needed.

Bakers2 replied on 15/04/2017 08:45

Posted on 15/04/2017 08:45

Brue sounds like a much more useful idea it would be good for walking too, help them with planning holidays etc. Reading a map is as good to me as reading a book. Road safety minister sounds completely ofay  (spelling?) With the proposals and current test. Especially regarding reversing. πŸ˜‰

IanH replied on 15/04/2017 09:24

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:24

The chap I saw being interviewed said that they no longer want to "waste" half the test doing things like being able to reverse around a corner. I call that basic driving skills that are essential to driving a car.

Apparently, they now have to show that they can follow the guidance of a sat nav, My word! How difficult must that be?? Most people just take it out of the box, stick it on the windscreen and get on with it.

Yet another example of dumbing down.

SteveL replied on 15/04/2017 09:24

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:24

It is unclear what sort of parking bay they mean. Ones on the side of the road, or a supermarket type one. However, including both types would be good. Parking in supermarkets is often atrocious, resulting in the loss of a bay, which at busy times is just antisocial. What is so difficult in getting it between the lines?πŸ€”

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/04/2017 09:26

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:26

One of the upsides of satnav is the live feed of snarl ups & traffic jams plus the satnav's ability to reroute around the jam. Satnav is here to stay, introducing training in its safe use can only be a positive particularly so from the safety perspective. The satnav can be as much a distraction as a mobile phone in the hands of a bad driver.

SteveL replied on 15/04/2017 09:28

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:24 by IanH

The chap I saw being interviewed said that they no longer want to "waste" half the test doing things like being able to reverse around a corner. I call that basic driving skills that are essential to driving a car.

Apparently, they now have to show that they can follow the guidance of a sat nav, My word! How difficult must that be?? Most people just take it out of the box, stick it on the windscreen and get on with it.

Yet another example of dumbing down.

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:28

Judging where some folk, inc HGV's end up when they follow them, it is apparently more difficult than you think.πŸ˜‚

Bakers2 replied on 15/04/2017 09:30

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:30

In the Radio4 interview with road safety minister, Simon Jones? the point was raised and ignored that on the test it would be a sat navigation but most youngsters would use their phones. We rarely use our sat navigation,  not inbuilt, but I do like it speaking directions, does a phone sat navigation speak or does one have to view it in a similar way to a map? 

Bakers2 replied on 15/04/2017 09:34

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:34

I thought I heard the test time was to be doubled? I know I heard 'free driving' time is going to be 20 mins not 10 mins. I don't know anyone personally who has recently taken a test so don't know about this. My children sat theirs 10 or so years ago. Can someone enlighten me. Can you take yourself where you fancy in free driving??

IanH replied on 15/04/2017 09:36

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:28 by SteveL

Judging where some folk, inc HGV's end up when they follow them, it is apparently more difficult than you think.πŸ˜‚

Posted on 15/04/2017 09:36

Agreed, but from what the news article showed, it was simply a case of being able to follow what the sat nav said to them while driving, that was tested. Nothing about the suitability of the programmed route.

The parking thing was a parking bay in a car park. I agree that they should also have parking in a space at the side of the road included......but maybe that's just too difficult to manage so they left it out? surprised

B2 - phone guidance usually does have spoken directions and will often connect via Bluetooth to your radio speakers.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook