Raleigh Bike Offer?

iDriver replied on 08/05/2019 10:04

Posted on 08/05/2019 10:04

Its all very well the CAMC negotiating a discount with the likes of Raleigh Bikes, but a bit pointless if they don’t have stock of their own products??

After days of research I decided upon a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour eBike  only to find the website showing out of stock and Raleigh being unable to give a date when they will be in stock  

back to the search I decided to up my budget and get an even more expensive Raleigh eBike  I checked and it was in stock and for that matter it still is.

Just had a call from Raleigh with whom I placed the order on Bank Holiday Monday. They now inform me this bike which I paid for online and should be delivered to me today is now out of stock. 

This is a recurring theme so far with the UK eBike suppliers. The one thing they seem totally unable to do is actually supply !!!! 

Back to the search for an eBike I actually want. 

InaD replied on 08/05/2019 15:44

Posted on 08/05/2019 15:44

Not convinced it's cheaper anyway.  Just had a look at the Raleigh Motus Low Step.  List (and on CAMC website) price is £1900.  Less member offer of 10% = £1710.  Evans Cycles price (15% off) is £1615.

Like everything else, it pays to shop around, despite what looks to be a good offer initially.

Takethedogalong replied on 08/05/2019 16:56

Posted on 08/05/2019 16:56

My suggestion is to actually try before you buy. Ebikes vary hugely in terms of what they are capable of doing. Aldi are currently offering what looks a very decent ebike for under £500. Out of stock though at moment😂

nelliethehooker replied on 08/05/2019 21:47

Posted on 08/05/2019 16:56 by Takethedogalong

My suggestion is to actually try before you buy. Ebikes vary hugely in terms of what they are capable of doing. Aldi are currently offering what looks a very decent ebike for under £500. Out of stock though at moment😂

Posted on 08/05/2019 21:47

No wonder at that price!!wink

young thomas replied on 10/05/2019 09:20

Posted on 10/05/2019 09:20

it depends a lot on what you want the bike to do...

a regular trip to Aldi, try the Aldi bike.....

however, as a real alternative to a car, home and away, perhaps something nearer the Raleigh as in the OP...

we use ours pretty much all the time, only taking the car when we really must, and our bikes have done a total of more than 25k km.

small wheeled folders are really not built to do this sort of job, but of course not everyone needs this sort of 'dependence', so it might be ok...

however, from my experience in other electrically driven products, you do get what you pay for and a £500 bike won't be the same as a £2k product...

OH has just bought a new ebike (time for an upgrade after 7 years terrific service from her Raleigh) and has gone for a Bosch drive model, 160km+ range and smooth as a baby's bum.....wink

MichaelT replied on 10/05/2019 14:39

Posted on 10/05/2019 09:20 by young thomas

it depends a lot on what you want the bike to do...

a regular trip to Aldi, try the Aldi bike.....

however, as a real alternative to a car, home and away, perhaps something nearer the Raleigh as in the OP...

we use ours pretty much all the time, only taking the car when we really must, and our bikes have done a total of more than 25k km.

small wheeled folders are really not built to do this sort of job, but of course not everyone needs this sort of 'dependence', so it might be ok...

however, from my experience in other electrically driven products, you do get what you pay for and a £500 bike won't be the same as a £2k product...

OH has just bought a new ebike (time for an upgrade after 7 years terrific service from her Raleigh) and has gone for a Bosch drive model, 160km+ range and smooth as a baby's bum.....wink

Posted on 10/05/2019 14:39

What make BB, looking to get Mrs T one (I am sticking to my manual one for now) so wondering what to go for.  Was thinking a good make such as Trek/Cube/Giant etc. but not sure.

I agree you get what you pay for in terms of the quality of gears/motor/battery etc. but also aware that she will not be riding in Le Tourwink

Wherenext replied on 10/05/2019 16:07

Posted on 10/05/2019 16:07

We bought a couple of Modus bikes last year from Evans Cycles. At the time they were offering a trade in of £150 per bike which was slightly better than the clubs discount offer. As our old bikes were just that, old, and Evans Cycles were recycling them (pun intended) we decided to go down that route.

See if they are doing an offer. Mind you they've since been taken over by Mr.Ashley so not sure if they have changed their trading structure.

young thomas replied on 10/05/2019 19:59

Posted on 10/05/2019 14:39 by MichaelT

What make BB, looking to get Mrs T one (I am sticking to my manual one for now) so wondering what to go for.  Was thinking a good make such as Trek/Cube/Giant etc. but not sure.

I agree you get what you pay for in terms of the quality of gears/motor/battery etc. but also aware that she will not be riding in Le Tourwink

Posted on 10/05/2019 19:59

it's a Scott. funnily enough, when I was looking for my first one five years ago, I tried a scott in Bath and went up Bathford Hill like a rocket.

i had been (and may still be) a lightweight trek bike rider but that one test ride gave me a great insight to ebiking...

I went for a Gepida with a Bosch engine and it's been terrific over the 13k km I've covered.

my local shop has a range of Orbea bikes and they have an ultra lightweight range called the Gain which is based on a lightweight roadster, no suspension, simple small battery (shortish absolute range but only required on occasions as bike riden normally most of time), quite an interesting product.

MichaelT replied on 14/05/2019 10:25

Posted on 10/05/2019 19:59 by young thomas

it's a Scott. funnily enough, when I was looking for my first one five years ago, I tried a scott in Bath and went up Bathford Hill like a rocket.

i had been (and may still be) a lightweight trek bike rider but that one test ride gave me a great insight to ebiking...

I went for a Gepida with a Bosch engine and it's been terrific over the 13k km I've covered.

my local shop has a range of Orbea bikes and they have an ultra lightweight range called the Gain which is based on a lightweight roadster, no suspension, simple small battery (shortish absolute range but only required on occasions as bike riden normally most of time), quite an interesting product.

Posted on 14/05/2019 10:25

We got a Cube for her in the end, more than we really wanted to pay but  they only stock Cube/Trek/Giant/Specialized etc. and they have new models coming out so stock is short but 10% off for a trade in (taking GD first bike insmile) and free services for 2 years, free helmet and 15% off accessories, but it is hub gears with a twist grip so easy for her to use and not get flustered.  All light, mudguards fitted so ready to roll.

I had a test rise and I must say the difference is amazing compared to my Trek manual bike so will look to save some pennies and get one for the van and leave my old one at home to use.

young thomas replied on 14/05/2019 14:35

Posted on 14/05/2019 14:35

I liked the Cube bikes, too....

we did Burton Bradstock to Dorchester yesterday, a really good test for OH bike...she coped really well with the undulating terrain and the long pull up to the Hardy Monument...about 33m round trip..her 400 wh battery suggested still 50 ml left in the tank...

again, it's horses for courses and these are (generally) our transport when away so they have to perform in all scenarios.

shes happy with the power and the range of the Bosh motor and the 2nd generation engines are pretty much silent whereas my 5 yr old one has always been a bit noisy under a light load....work it hard and the noise reduces....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook