Living in a Caravan Vs Living in a house

cariadon replied on 16/02/2018 09:07

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:07

Have decided to start a new thread so not to take over the what your doing discussion.

The question / discussion is the benefit of living in a caravan on a club site and moving every 21 days to living in a brick built solid home.

For me apart from the investment angle is -Holidays away in the van, if you lived in one then it's no longer a mobile holiday home.

What do others think.

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2018 09:26

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:26

Unless there is no other means of living, bricks and morter for those who have no morgage left because of previose frugal living during their working life ,is by far the cheapest and most secure lifestyle,with the freedom to do as you please in later life in a building that can normally be adapted as age catches up,

whereas the "mobile" way of living is a constant relativly  high base cost,of site fees and the short life of the accomodation,in comparison,and the older the occupants the more the downsides crop up,,in the "few" years we have been touring,it is becoming more obviose we, as most, have more security for the future

Milothedog replied on 16/02/2018 09:40

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:40

In my mind it's not an alternative lifestyle choice, just a time limited adventure. It's only viable if you have sufficient savings to afford to live this way and more importantly your health and mobility allows you to lead such an existence. In this day and age it's never been more important to have something to fall back on. i.e. somewhere to live permanently.  You only have to watch the news, read the papers to see how the nanny state is being taken back under control to stop the abuse that has taken place over the years.  

It's about time society realise that the system in the country is for emergency support not an alternative to not taking responsibility for your own needs.undecided 

Goldie146 replied on 16/02/2018 09:43

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:43

We're not typical home owners, as our house is part and parcel of the farm. My husband's family have lived in it since 1875 and it's full of memories and reminders of his ancestors.

You could say it's too big for two but it's just about big enough for when everyone comes home. And it's wonderful for parties.

The caravan is means of getting away, and short (very short) term living.

cariadon replied on 16/02/2018 09:44

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:44

Do you think that if everybody adopted this lifestyle, as has been suggested on another thread, that the club sites will then be classed as residential rather than recreational, and council tax would then have to be paid.

Oneputt replied on 16/02/2018 09:51

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:51

I prefer the ever increasing asset of a house to the ever depreciation of a caravan.  Love living the van when on a break but enjoy the solidity and comfort of the house.  The thing is whatever your lifestyle you should ask the ‘what if’ questions.

My brother lives full time in his MH and generally has a great life meeting up with all sort of friends all over including spending winters in Sciliy.  This year he has been stuck on a site in Northern Germany due to various health issues so change for him may not be too far off.

cariadon replied on 16/02/2018 09:56

Posted on 16/02/2018 09:56

30 mins in and no comments of the advantage of living in a caravan, only positives of living in a house.

It was to discuss living in a house as some people are tenants and not owners.

Goldie146 replied on 16/02/2018 10:07

Posted on 16/02/2018 10:07

Never mind the pros and cons of costs etc - what about us hoarders? When we go away on the caravan I take a few books (plus Kindle) and music on my Ipad. Where would I keep all the books. CD's records etc in a one room home? 

Plus all the stuff I don't really need but could never get rid of! And thirteen pairs of shoes at the last count. 

Sorry -  that's not really a sensible argument in favour of a house.

JayEss replied on 16/02/2018 10:12

Posted on 16/02/2018 10:12

Only 13 pairs of shoes Goldie?  I darent count mine but it's a lot more than 13 embarassed 

I'm another one that enjoys caravanning but wouldn't do it full time. 

Milothedog replied on 16/02/2018 10:18

Posted on 16/02/2018 10:12 by JayEss

Only 13 pairs of shoes Goldie?  I darent count mine but it's a lot more than 13 embarassed 

I'm another one that enjoys caravanning but wouldn't do it full time. 

Posted on 16/02/2018 10:18

If most women are the same as my Wife then as well as the shoes (way more than 13 pairs) then there are the matching hand bags to take in to account as well cool

replied on 16/02/2018 10:18

Posted on 16/02/2018 10:18

If full timing as an alternative to a house near to where I live it would certainly be more expensive for me if using a CC site without seasonal pitches rather than renting locally. Average CC pitch fees for us would be over £800 a month plus £60 for our second car. I can get a 1 bedroom furnished apartment with a very nice separate kitchen for £450 a month or a mid terrace 2 bed house for £400 with separate garage, on road parking all bills except gas and electric. Convenient for shops (5mins), libraries (10 mins), Doctors (5 mins) etc and also on a bus route (5 mins to bus stop) 8 miles from Chester. I could not get non facility sites (if there were one locally) and local CLs any cheaper.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook