Green Energy

Oneputt replied on 29/04/2020 09:08

Posted on 29/04/2020 09:08

During this period of lock down I have watched more U-Tube stuff than actual TV.  Some of the people I follow are Cruising the Cut and Sailing Yacht Florence.  

Whilst browsing U-Tube however, I came across some pretty serious thought provoking stuff as well.  One such is Michael Moores  Planet of the Humans.  This is another view of renewable energy.  It's a long film so bear with it if you can.  If your not familiar with Michael Moore just google him and see his credentials before watching the film.

I thought I brought my house solar panels for green reasons but if i'm honest it was for profit

JVB66 replied on 29/04/2020 15:22

Posted on 29/04/2020 15:22

I have just "endured?" most of the film ,and it basically comes to the conclusion as some are already aware ,that for the planet to go "green" as those it seems with a vested interest want,

It will be far more damaging to the planet  ,with what resources are needed for all the green? ideas and the manufacture of them,

And fossil fuels will still be needed

brue replied on 29/04/2020 15:57

Posted on 29/04/2020 15:13 by DavidKlyne

Oneputt

Could you paraphrase a bit without the need to watch the film?

David

Posted on 29/04/2020 15:57

I've short cut it by looking at the reviews. Here's one from Sky >LINK< doesn't look as though the critic or scientists have been impressed.

I expect your solar panels have achieved both profit and energy saving Oneputt, so that's not a problem if you've had them long enough to cover the outlay and they are still efficient. wink

DavidKlyne replied on 29/04/2020 20:23

Posted on 29/04/2020 20:23

Thanks Brue

I suppose however we produce the energy we need there will be an initial cost in terms of emissions from the manufacture of the wind turbines/solar panels. However unlike burning fossil fuels which continue to produce emissions the greener energy option will continue to produce clean energy for years into the future. I think I may have said this before but rather than pay people to produce their own energy from say solar panels I would prefer the Government to make a one off contribution to funding their installation in the first place. From that point those that take that funding will not only reduce their personal electricity charges but could be paid for any excess going to the Grid but only be paid the going rate which would be much lower than some feedback tariffs.

David

brue replied on 29/04/2020 20:46

Posted on 29/04/2020 20:46

Seeing the lovely clean air recently I'm all for some alternative energy. smile

Oneputt replied on 30/04/2020 07:47

Posted on 30/04/2020 07:47

I think the shocking part for me is the amount of energy spent getting the various materials together, (raping the planet) then the manufacturing and finally the decommissioning and destruction of the generator is taking vast amounts of energy for little gain.  I think one of the shocks for me that all the companies purporting to be 100% renewable are in fact telling porkies.  Of course some people are getting mega rich out of this.

Up in North Norfolk there are tens of thousands of acres of good food production land being used to provide fuel (usually maize)  for biomass.  The biomass industry tells us that  only 1.6% of agricultural land is used.  I am sceptical because of the subsidies.  Apparent;y  In 2016, energy companies received around £891 million in UK subsidies for generating electricity from bio-energy and the vast majority of that came from burning wood. A lot of the wood is transported from abroad.  These bio plants kick out substantial greenhouse gases but still it counts toward our renewable energy targets, 

My only real experience of green energy is my own solar panels.  If it hadn't been for the subsidies I wouldn't have brought them.  As it is. its been a really good investment.  The panels are returning about 18%/year tax free until about 2034.  Even if I have to replace panels over the coming years I will still be making a great return.

Until we find a way to store the energy from renewable's I think we are wasting earths precious resources and wasting a lot of the power produced

Oneputt replied on 30/04/2020 07:51

Posted on 29/04/2020 15:57 by brue

I've short cut it by looking at the reviews. Here's one from Sky >LINK< doesn't look as though the critic or scientists have been impressed.

I expect your solar panels have achieved both profit and energy saving Oneputt, so that's not a problem if you've had them long enough to cover the outlay and they are still efficient. wink

Posted on 30/04/2020 07:51

Yes Brue I to read it.  If they had named these 'scientist' so we could check where they are getting their funding I would have been more impressed.

But there thats the cynic in me

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 30/04/2020 08:08

Posted on 30/04/2020 08:08

I pointed out that the cost of going ‘green’ was not very green at all due to most of the ‘greening’ work was in China. I remember being a lone voice back then. It was Merve’s thread. I was not popular at all. As I said at the time-I was dealing in facts not attacks🤷🏻‍♂️. The main problem is all the rare earth minerals that are needed for the greening, they being finite resources☹️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook