Do you have to attend degree course?

IanH replied on 15/04/2017 19:29

Posted on 15/04/2017 19:29

Is it necessary to attend a course at University for several years to be able to get a degree, or can you just take the final exam and get it?

Navigateur replied on 15/04/2017 19:53

Posted on 15/04/2017 19:53

The time was you got your lower degrees just by sitting an exam and you did not need to go to tutorials and seminars. Now it is all about continuous assessment so you have to be there to be assessed, in some places every week!

Even with "distance learning" there is often a requirement to turn up occasionally.

Or you can just buy a degree off the Internet!

Cornersteady replied on 15/04/2017 22:25

Posted on 15/04/2017 22:25

there isn't just one final exam, and even 30 years ago when I did my first degree your second year results counted towards the final classification awarded. In my time it was examinations in June but now the exams are done at two times (usually January and June) following the two semester pattern. Depending upon course and university on course assessment may also count. Also nowadays attendance at lectures is closely monitored with some universities requiring students to swipe in their Id cards on arrival and students are kicked out for serious non attendance.  

IanH replied on 16/04/2017 09:17

Posted on 16/04/2017 09:17

But what if you already know all the stuff that they would tell you in the lectures?

Is this just to get the £9k a year fees out of people?

DavidKlyne replied on 16/04/2017 09:51

Posted on 16/04/2017 09:17 by IanH

But what if you already know all the stuff that they would tell you in the lectures?

Posted on 16/04/2017 09:51

Surely the £9000 fees are for students enrolled for a three year course. I am not sure distance learning fees are as much although of course there are usually over a longer period. One of my Son's is currently doing another MA but fortunately being supported by his employer.

David

Cornersteady replied on 16/04/2017 10:00

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:00

If you already know all the stuff, then why take the course? Also it is impossible that an 18 year old will know all the stuff isn't it?

However I see where you're coming from with about the £9000 charged by the Universities. Like you I think this should be scrapped and the money required to run a University course be funded by the taxpayer and not the student.

Cornersteady replied on 16/04/2017 10:20

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:20

BTW you do realise that this £9000 fee is set by the government not the Universities? It's actually a £9000 capped limit or what universities can charge up to, but most do. Unless you live and study in Scotland where there is no charge.

trellis replied on 16/04/2017 10:22

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:00 by Cornersteady

If you already know all the stuff, then why take the course? Also it is impossible that an 18 year old will know all the stuff isn't it?

However I see where you're coming from with about the £9000 charged by the Universities. Like you I think this should be scrapped and the money required to run a University course be funded by the taxpayer and not the student.

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:22

In that case Corners ,do you think that the tax payers should find non uni courses i.e  apprenticeships.Or do they as it's a long time ago I did mine ?.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/04/2017 10:26

Posted on 16/04/2017 09:51 by DavidKlyne

Surely the £9000 fees are for students enrolled for a three year course. I am not sure distance learning fees are as much although of course there are usually over a longer period. One of my Son's is currently doing another MA but fortunately being supported by his employer.

David

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:26

It is currently over £9000 per year, per student, so students come out loaded with debt. Repayment only kicks in once a certain salary threshold is reached. Some OU degrees cost thousands of pounds to fund as well. I think the drop out rate for some courses is very high. Some pathways to a career are very clear via Uni, others not so clear.

Actually getting a job, something that the individual is truly interested and committed towards, then being lucky enough to have that employer fund higher level (degree, diploma) work orientated qualifications is possibly the most desirable way of career progression nowadays. Have to knuckle down at school and college to get the basics though, to get a decent work placement. Hard work as well, working full time and studying. But surely a better start not having the looming debt at the very start of your working and true adult life? 

Young adults have to make some very deep decisions nowadays, at a very young age.

IanH replied on 16/04/2017 10:34

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:00 by Cornersteady

Posted on 16/04/2017 10:34

Don't think I actually said that. I think that the university fees are a good thing (pay for what you get) but my point was about if you don't need to be lectured.

Navigateur replied on 16/04/2017 11:11

Posted on 16/04/2017 11:11

If you think you know all the stuff you become a lecturer and find out you don't.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook